Does anyone go to bosom buddies/breast feeding support groups?

mummytobe_93

Reaction score
We have a loal bosom buddies but I'm in two minds about going. I was wondering what happened and what they did?

Main reason for wanting to go is to meet other mums as I feel like I have breast feeding established pretty well. I also don't like to breast feed in public so if I'm there and give LO a Bottle I think I'd feel awkward.

For people that have been is it enjoyable? And is it like a group discussion or just someone there to give advice?

Thanks!

I go to Breastfeeding support at sure start every week....I've been going since my LO was 3 weeks old, now 26weeks.

I've found breastfeeding very easy & purely go for the social side and they make the BF mums feel really good about what they've achieved. And they offer loads of advice on switching to FF, weaning, sleeping or just a chat.

I'm a single mum & found I really look forward to going every week & my LO loves all the other little ones she's growing up with. Out of about 20 of us mums, there are only 4 of us still breastfeeding (we haven't had a newbie breast feeder in a while!) so plenty of mums feed by bottles in our group.

I'd go if I were you, you can always choose not to go back.

I go to one. Our is just like any other baby group except for the fact that everyone who goes breastfeed. There are a couple of people who feed from bottles no-one will judge you, also may be a good place to practise feeding in public?

Sue_88 ye this one is at sure start too do sounds similar, you've definitely made me feel more positive about going as I thought it was mainly just women who were avid breastfeeders! I live alone with my baby Monday too Friday and have no friends with babies so im really wanting and needing to meet new friends!

Pa2k8- do you go to a sure start one? Sounds good! And yes I would love to feel comfortable feeding in public but it's others peoples opinions that put me off and also I'm not very good at doing it discreetly!

Just go! I have met so many friends from going to classes or things I really wasn't even that keen on. I go a few times ... meet some people I like and then if the group isn't really for me I don't go back to the group but still meet the friends I have met at the groups.

Was never keen on any of the Surestart things but so glad I went to a few, have met some fab friends.

Felix555 thanks, I will definitely give it a go im just quite a nervous person sometimes! What other groups do you go to? Just local ones? I'm trying to find other baby groups in my area but there aren't really any x

Go! Im a BF peer supporter and i can definitely vouch that the drop ins are fab!

I was just wondering what sort of thing do they do, does everyone sort of sit on a circle and talk? I'm just wondering what to expect!

Every group will have a slightly different set up.

Our sure start ones are set up in the comfy rooms with plenty of chairs and toys set up. If a mum wants to chat one2one they do if not people just mingle really.

Felix555 thanks, I will definitely give it a go im just quite a nervous person sometimes! What other groups do you go to? Just local ones? I'm trying to find other baby groups in my area but there aren't really any x

Don't be nervous! there will be other nervous moms there too. I am not nervous at all, I am the opposite and can talk for days and days :haha: and I remember going to baby groups and making an effort with the moms that were obviously nervous, to have chats with them and make them feel at ease a bit.

I have gone to loads .... the baby group at my HV team centre was honestly the best out of all the ones I have been to (that was sure start), some rhythm thing (I didn't like), nursery rhyme thing (didn't like), baby massage (which I paid for and loved), (baby sensory, also one I paid for but liked), baby yoga (not keen) there was a local one off class on cloth nappies which myself and a friend went to just because it was free and we got given some things! and that was actually fab because we met another night lady there which we are friends with still. I am sure I have done mroe than that but those spring to mind.

Also when you meet others, they will let you know of things on in your area and that's how you also find out about these things.

I went to one with my first, i enjoyed a good moan as i found bfing hard at first, then when it got easier It was nice to encourage other women.
We just sat around and chatted, I didn't make any new friends but I saw the same faces at other groups so it was nice.
I'm not going this time, I would like to but at the moment it clashes with my precious afternoon nap!!

I go to one at the childrens centre. It's a really nice friendly group. We basically just sit and chat about whatever and we have a cup of tea and some biscuits. They put out mats and toys on the floor for the babies to play and the girl who runs it is on hand to help if we have any issues. I really enjoy going just for the social side.

As for wanting feed with a bottle noone is going to judge you. There's even one girl in our group who gives formula in a bottle as she's struggling with feeding and can't do it all the time. If you did want to try NIP (only if you want to though) it can be a good place to build up confidence as everyone is at it!

i'm very nervous nursing in public as well, but recently i went to a babywearing meeting in my area where other mothers were breastfeeding there bebes confidently and it made me feel so much more comfortable. this is a great place to start BFing in public because you will be surrounded by like-minded mommies who will not judge you. it may help you feel less nervous about it.

I've been going to one since my son was 6 days old. He's now 16 months. I stopped having problems after 2 months but I kept going because it was nice to get out of the House and chat with other moms. I also like knowing how many oz he gets. They weigh before and after feeds.

By now I definitely have the oldest baby... The next oldest is probably 5-6 months old... But I also appreciate my role in that I'm the only mom feeding a toddler. I see a lot of the FTMs watching me feed. They ask questions too. I think at the stage they are in, they can't imagine getting this far, but that's how I felt too, and I'm glad I can be an example. If that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->