Does anyone make their own cloth nappies?

Squashy

Reaction score
Hi ladies, I'm passing the time WTT and I've got it in my head that I fancy having a go at making my own cloth nappies :haha: If I start practising now I might be a pro by the time we're expecting and have my own stash made up :winkwink: I should probably be sensible and just buy them when the time comes but we've all got to have a hobby... soooo do you know of any good websites with info or patterns to guide me a little? Anyone here a pro at making their own?

I haven't made any yet but have found this blog where a lady tests free and bought sewing patterns

https://mamakatdiapers.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

I'm going to try myself actually going to make my baby some out of old tshirt

i make nappies - wouldn't say i was a pro even though i do sell mine but if you need a help just give me a shout and i'll try and help :)

i have my own OSFM pattern and working on my newborn one just now :) mines are embroidered too hehe

I have been wanting to make my own too but have no clue where to start!

find yourself a pattern you like and try it out :) there is free patterns and patterns to pay for. Paid for patterns include fattycakes, trimsies and vogue. Free patterns - i cant think of off the top of my head but, if you buy a nappy kit from plush Addict this includes a pattern for you to start off with

Hi ladies, sorry for the slow post, did way too much overtime at work this week! I've had a search on websites on seen a few that post patterns and lots with all kinds of fabrics etc that could be useful, I'll go through my bookmarks and post a few later if anyone is interested. I found out one of my friends used to make cloth nappies so she might be willing to give me a few tips that I'll pass on :winkwink:

Wannabe Mommy cheers for the link, I'll have a read through :thumbup: Phebs, just had a quick peek at your blog, defo following :haha:

Thanks pichi for the help/ advice offer, I'm sure I'll be taking you up on that! Right... research first then...

I make my own nappies too :)

I just counted the other day that I've made over 105 nappies and I'm not even selling them yet! Thats just for my two girls and a couple that I made as gifts.

I bought materials when I was pregnant with my first intending to make my own and then ended up way too intimidated and ended up just sitting on it until my daughter was 11 months old and I realized I hadn't bought her a Christmas nappy yet and Christmas was only a couple weeks away. So I ended up making my first nappy an appliqued one with ribbons and a snap on gift bow and a detachable ruffle :haha: the cut was gorgeous but I did a shocking job on the elastics and it was only useful as a decorative cover. I made another a couple weeks later for her first birthday which was much better. Then I sewed up a newborn stash while pregnant with my second and slowly converted my stash to almost entirely made by me (with a few WAHMs I already had).

There are many helpful groups on facebook dedicated to learning the ins and outs of sewing diapers, and I lurked in one of them reading everything I could those months I was too chicken to try one.

They're really not that hard to make, and they can be as simple or as fancy as you like.

The mamakatdiapers link is a good one - I stumbled upon it while making newborn nappies and discovered a few patterns I had never heard of. I had no idea there were so many! There are loads more free newborn patterns than any other type, and I strongly recommend making a few different patterns (and types) so you dont end up with an entire stash of one nappy that fits your LO horribly.

Patterns with the best instructions for newbies (that I am aware of) are Darling Diapers Unlimited and Vogue. They both cost money but are very easy to follow and well worth the price and DDU has many variations included as well.

Tutorials on YouTube are great as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"