Does anyone understand tax codes?

DCS

Reaction score
I think mine might be wrong. Got my wage slip today and i was taxed over £50... before tax i was paid £270ish.
Last month i was taxed £16 but wage was only £60ish before tax.
Background, i started some casual shifts in september. Got a proper contracted job starting january. Before this i was off work for almost 7 years. My salary is just over £2000. Its a lunchtime assistant job.
I will ring hmrc monday but its driving me nuts. Surely that cant be right.
Tax code is 0T M1 if that makes any difference.

No good at tax codes but that sounds about right - it’s generally about 20%
*edit - sorry I think I’m wrong - is your annual salary £2000? As if so I’d imagine they’ve put you on emergency tax as your wage has suddenly increased - they won’t refund but will balance it out over he rest of the year, but you need to ring them to get it updated.

Thanks. Sorry should have mentioned anual salary is about £2000. Super thanks for that.

In that case they might refund you as it’s less than the taxable wage if it’s your only source of income. In fact you shouldn’t have been paying tax at all I don’t think? If you have another job though that’s not the case.

You don't earn enough to pay tax if your only wage is £2000 for the year. They might be assuming it's a second job? I was on high tax as I had left one job to start another but HMRC were not aware and thought I had 2 jobs. I think it was refunded to me as a tax rebate a year or so later. X

Only other income into our house would be OHs wage.

You shouldn’t be paying tax. Did you ever sign that paperwork to give your tax allowance to your husband?

Call hmrc, you are on emergency tax. They are generally pretty good at changing it you just have to slog through the phone call first!

No thats not right you shouldnt pay anything. Give them a call they will sort it and arrange for your tax to be paid back if you wont earn over the tax free allowance before april (which you wont)

Thanks all. Meant to call them last week but i forgot. Will be this week now. But its halfterm now so kids are home and always need something when im on the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->