Does big mum really mean big baby?

k1mb3rl3y

Mum of one beautiful girl
Reaction score
I was a healthy weight before i got pregnant. BMI was perfect.

I didnt start showing and gaining weight until 25 weeks.

But now 10 weeks later at 36weeks ive gained nearly 20kg (over 3 stone).
I just cant stop eating.
Is this normal weight gain or do i need to speak to someone?
Midwife never weighs me at my appointments and never mentions weight gain.

Is this bad for baby? Could i get diabetes from such a fast weight gain?
People say the babys weight is based on genes.. but others say babys weight depends on how much is gained during pregnancy. Which is true?

Confused!!

I know if a mom is overweight before pregnancy she stands a higher chance of actually having a smaller baby. I'm sure it's not true for every overweight person but it's usually the case. Not sure about all the others. If you're worried I'd discuss it with your midwife. It depends on your weight before you got pregnant on what would be healthy for you to gain during pregnancy. HTH :)

My MW said that because im big i will carry big babies. Im not that big, she was being quite mean :/

My mom was super thin when she got pregnant with me & put on 60lbs. I was 9lbs 5oz. She lost all the weight before having my brother & only put on about 30lbs with him. He was 9lbs 4oz. I've only put on 20lbs & my girl is estimated to be 8lbs 12oz right now. My doctor said babies on your mom's side of the family is a good indicator of how big your baby will be. Seems to hold true for me.

When I had my first little boy I was 7 stone heavier than I am now every time I went to see my midwife she would comment on how big I was always said she couldn't do my fundel height because I was so big and when she felt baby she would tell me that " wow this baby is going to be a whopper a big 12 pounder" etc .
Well on the day baby was born the dr shouted what a cutie a lovely 6 lb 12 0z I actually laughed and said you mean 12 lb 6 oz but no my boy was a perfect 6lb 12 tiny little face and head and certainly not a whopper !!!!
So no big mummy doesn't always mean big baby
Sorry for the long reply ha :) xx

no.

I was told throughout my pregnancy that I would have a "good size" baby. I think they just looked at me (I'm a size 18, 5ft11) and took a guess, despite my dates being spot on throughout. I also gained 3.5 stone in pregnancy.

Sofia was born @ 40+13 and 6lb 13oz...

Big Mum definitely does not mean Big Baby

The whole way through I've been told I will have a big baby. Im 5'5" and have put on 4st. Im size 18 and have a high bmi. My ds was 8lb 3oz. I don't know what this one is yet but am told she's big.

I think it goes more with bigger woman have a higher risk of developing GD which makes bigger babies. Someone correct me if i'm wrong but MW & Dr always told me since I'm plus size I have higher chance of getting GD and had glucose test 3 or 4 times during this pregnancy. I was told to gain only about 15lb, and have gained about 25lb closer to 30lbs now, oops! But I eat healthy and junk food only once on the weekend and so far no GD and baby is measuring 6lb 3oz at 37weeks.

I think it goes more with bigger woman have a higher risk of developing GD which makes bigger babies. Someone correct me if i'm wrong but MW & Dr always told me since I'm plus size I have higher chance of getting GD and had glucose test 3 or 4 times during this pregnancy. I was told to gain only about 15lb, and have gained about 25lb closer to 30lbs now, oops! But I eat healthy and junk food only once on the weekend and so far no GD and baby is measuring 6lb 3oz at 37weeks.

I have been overweight with my last 3 pregnancies and never had GD and never watched my diet. I naturally only gained around 12 lbs with those pregnancies too. Must just vary person to person. I've never been tested more than 1 time in any of my pregnancies either and I'm pretty overweight:shrug:

GD is more common in higher BMI women but a thin woman with a family history can just as easily develop GD

unchecked GD can cause bigger than normal babies

No. I think it's a total myth tbh. I was 120 lbs pre-pregnancy and was 202 lbs the day I gave birth, he was only 7lb10oz, average weight! I've known plenty of larger women give birth to smaller babies when their doctors thought the babies would be large!

Uh huh.. we were just talking about this in the GD thread. My Doc is trying to tell me because I am bigger that is why I am GD. It doesn't cause it. It doesn't help, but there has to be other risk factors. My OH SIL was over 300 pounds when she had her baby and she didn't have GD but yet a woman at my church is 5'11 and 120 and she got it with her first child, was heavier with her 2nd child and didn't get it. My SIL gets it with each child and she is 5'8 and 140.

It might give you more of a risk for it, but you have to have some family history or genetic predisposition, like your race. And BTW, I am measuring right on in the top 50% percentile right now.. that might change, but I have been pretty consistently right in the middle.

Just eat right and do the best you can and if you get GD just check your blood sugar and listen to the Doctor about your diet.. but don't let them blame you... there is more to it then just how big you are.

There's numerous factors which interact to determine baby's size including baby's genetic make up, your diet, your health [eg any b/p issues or gdm etc]

There are lots of factors, but if you gain more than 30lbs typically the extra is yours to keep after baby is born GD is more common in bigger women, who may gain more weight and have bigger babies due to the out of control sugars. Also keep in mind that lots of women put on a lot of fluid weight, so they are just retaining large volumes of water weight that will come off easily so it varies between individuals. If you are eating more than you know you should, try to eat foods that are high in nutrients, but lower in calories to cut the excess weight gain.

I am a bigger mom, have never had GD and my babies were all 6-7 lbs. My last was almost 8 but he's still a big kid, so he just inherited the tall/big genes in the family. This time I have put on a whopping 1 lb during the pregnancy and baby is growing just fine. I never gained more than 35 lbs and I was a normal weight when I started that pregnancy. He was my smallest baby at 6lb 5 oz! So weight gain does not alway corrolate to baby's weight. Sometimes it's just eating too much!

https://diabetes.webmd.com/guide/gestational_diabetes

Who Is at Risk for Gestational Diabetes?

The following factors increase the risk of developing gestational diabetes during pregnancy:

* Being overweight prior to becoming pregnant (if you are 20% or more over your ideal body weight).
* Being a member of a high risk ethnic group (Hispanic, Black, Native American, or Asian).
* Having sugar in your urine.
* Impaired glucose tolerance or impaired fasting glucose (blood sugar levels are high, but not high enough to be diabetes).
* Family history of diabetes (if your parents or siblings have diabetes).
* Previously giving birth to a baby over 9 pounds.
* Previously giving birth to a stillborn baby.
* Having gestational diabetes with a previous pregnancy.
* Having too much amniotic fluid (a condition called polyhydramnios).

Many women who develop gestational diabetes have no known risk factors.

It has nothing to do with how much weight you gain during a pregnancy.. at best if you are chunky before pregnancy you have an increased risk.. but you have to have a predisposition to Diabetes in general. People on here have posted that they were big and didn't get it. There is a reason for that. Being overweight doesn't mean you automatically get GD nor that you have it because you are. That just increases the risk, but it's not just that.

Like I said, just eat the best you can regardless.

My niece put on about 5 stone in her last pregnancy and her baby was only 6 lb so not always true

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->