Does breastfeeding make you have really odd periods?

xo_mdk

Mama of 2
Reaction score
This is really long, and I apologize in advance. Thanks for reading.

It's been a long time since I had a period, almost 2 years, woohoo! My DS is 9 months old now, and he's mostly breastfed while eating everything he can get his little hands on. He started sleeping through the night just over a week ago and nursing a bit less so I wasn't at all surprised when I got a bit of brown earlier this week. I was thinking I finally got my period and I wouldn't have to test each month to see if I was pregnant. (Don't really want to be, but would be thrilled if it just happened on its own, both OH and I want a bigger family)Now this is where it gets weird. The morning I woke up with it, I had a few drinks the night before and there was a tiny bit on my underwear so I put on a pad and thought nothing of it. I had a bit of dark red blood, not even a penny size though and then it was gone. Nothing. So I took the pad off and every time since then, when I wipe I have either really light brown discharge, or really light pink discharge. I've been really crampy and have had tons of pressure like feelings down there. I took a pregnancy test about 2-3 weeks ago and it was negative but I was sure I was pregnant but it said no. I'm rethinking that now thought with this weird bleeding/discharge. Have any of you got implantation bleeding while breastfeeding and it look like this? Or any implantation bleeding at all?

Just wanted to let you know Im there too. breastfeeding and spotting. negative tests. apparently anything goes when it comes to breastfeeding and periods. and all the symptoms in the book is normal too.
Hoping you're pregnant, but not holding my breath for myself (although ever hopeful anyway).

I'm in the same boat I breastfeed my son who is also 9 months. I recently had my first period on the 30th of April and on cycle day 22-23 I had super light spotting only when I wiped and it was all in my cm. It stopped and have had nothing since. I took 2 test both BFN even though I think it maybe still to early. Fingers crossed for all 3 of us.

DISCLAIMER- im not a doctor

but seems to me if your breastfeeding the hormones keep the whole reproductive monthly cycle from taking place. if these hormones dip enough for a 'breakthrough' bleed (like you can get if you miss a few bcp) then the womb lining would not have built up so the bleed would be light.

having said that buying a cheap test to settle your mind wouldnt hurt.

good luck!

For me while breastfeeding for the first year my periods were all over the shop I would get a normal flow then when af was due I would get spotting for a day or two then the next month a flow then maybe nothing for 2 months it sucked! You can definitely still fall pregnant while breastfeeding as my mum did with my brother and a friend of mine recently just had her some which she fell pregnant with while breastfeeding her 6 month old so it does happen it just all depends on if you ovulate or not. I was tested and I only ovulated for the first time in January this year and I had had my period back since lo was 8 months so that's almost 6 months with an irregular flow and no ovulation. I fell pregnant with this baby whilst breastfeeding I hadn't had a period since February and I found out I was pregnant in April even though all I had was 3 days or so of spotting in march so fx for you ladies it may be tough but there is hope.

Yes, It can.. I've had 20-51 day cycles so far, which sucks! You can menstruate while breastfeeding, the problem is the chemical produces while nursing, doesn't play nice with the chemicals needed for your menstrual cycle. Best thing to do is go to a doctor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->