Does epidural hurt?

amc90

Reaction score
I've been starting to think about my birthing plan options and I have such a low pain tolerance I know I will need an epidural. However I'm terrified of needles and am worried that I will pass out. Does it hurt? Can they give you meds for anxiety during birth?

Regarding the epidural, I had one with DS. I didn't plan to, but was in early labour for days so by the time it really started I was exhausted and just couldn't stay calm. I ended up panicking and begging for the epidural. I didn't even feel it go in and the relief it gave afterwards was amazing. To be honest, I was struggling so much with the contractions that I would have let them do anything even if it did hurt, just to stop the pain. I am glad I had it as it made the rest of my labour (about 6 hours) and the actual birth a lot more enjoyable - I still felt it but it wasn't agony. I was up and about having a shower within an hour or so of giving birth so it didn't have any long lasting effects for me. I would like to try a water birth this time but would definitely have an epidural again if I feel I need it. It definitely helped me feel more in control.

Good luck :)

I was terrified of an episode. But I was induced and couldn't take the pain. So I finally got one and I didn't even feel it! And like pp said it was worth it for the pain relief and nap I was able to get before pushing.

Mine is the same as krissie. I was induced and after nearly a day I was done. I honestly didn't feel anything. A slight burning (but not painful) for the numbing medicine and then sweet sweet relief! I took a nap and went from 4-7 centimeters. In my case it really helped me to progress. I felt the pressure to push and felt a lot during delivery. They had to come out a booster in it to do the internal stitches.

My one piece of advice is to alternate sides you're laying on. Many don't and complain it only worked on one side. But the medicine automatically gets pulled down just as everything else by gravity. So alternate sides and it'll distribute evenly.

Oh yes, Kylas is right you have to switch sides. It would pool on the side I was laying on and I would start feeling contractions in my hip.

I never knew to do that but my nurse made me switch every so often. And if she didn't come on and I forgot to switch I felt it. Then switched sides and felt fine. I was able to switch sides myself. I could still use my legs but they weren't strong enough to walk without support. I very much enjoyed my epi and I really really didn't want one!

I had an epidural with my first and the pain had been so bad that they gave me a narcotic pain med before the epidural came because the anesthesiologist was taking forever and I was screaming, though only 4 cm... I would have let them do anything to make that pain stop, and I didnt feel anything at all except pain relief. It seems scary but when you're in that much pain you wont think about it :)

Mine didn't hurt and she had to stick me several times bc she couldn't get it in the right place! But none of it hurt; or like others said, the other pain was so bad that a stick isn't anything compared. I loved my epidural. It took me 13 hours to go from 2 to 5cm, I got the epidural and went from 5 to 10 in one hour.

I don't remember feeling anything. I do remember they used a topical numbing solution before the needle goes in so that probably helped. It's definitey worth getting. You feel amazing after it's in!

I thought the pushing the baby out would be the painful part but omg the contractions left me breathless. The narcotic did nothing, I couldn't breath (shallow & fast with so mych pain) so I could barely get the laughing gas in. She did the epi and apologised as it was only a 'half epi' as she called it so I could feel my legs. It was perfect (after 3 top ups). I loved still being able to feel my legs but oh the relief! It really wasn't painful but I got an electric shock and sat straight up when she told me not to move. Freaked me out!! But everything turned out ok and after that I went from 6 to 10 in an hour and with 2 pushes and a few jokes she was out! I highly recommend it. Don't be a hero and endure so much pain, it'll give you emtional scars for your next one.

You'll feel a tiny pinch as it goes in with a slight burning sensation that almost immediately goes away. I've had it twice and am planning on a third time.

The first time it took the anesthesiologist 3x to finally get it in correctly, and then it only took on my right side even with switching sides. I had a bad experience overall the first time.

The 2nd time, took a couple minutes and it was fab. I went from a 4cm to 10cm in less than an hour after getting the epidural as it helped me calm down enough.

Not sure how the other ladies reacted to theirs, but my epidurals were always way too strong. The 2nd time I asked them to completely turn off the epidural pump machine right before I started pushing so that I could actually feel myself pushing but it didn't hurt at all.

Thanks ladies. This makes me feel a lot better. I'm really small so I've been really worried about how much laboring will hurt! I know I am only 14 weeks but I am so excited for the baby to be here. Seems like this pregnancy is lasting forever!

By the time you need one, you won't even care (or notice) the pain from the epidural. I am terrified of needles, and it was much worse back when I had my first daughter at 18. However, I'd been in early labor for days (thanks to a failed induction) and I was exhausted from no food or sleep in all that time. By the time I decided to get the epidural, I just didn't care anymore. It was also pure bliss after it kicked in.

I won't be having another with this baby (and didn't with my second, either), but it definitely has nothing to do with how the needle felt going in. :)

Like the others I didn't feel mine. I'd been in slow labour for weeks, induced labour for about a day and a half by this point and they wanted to increase the picotin dose so they recommended I have an epi. My husband nearly passed out so I'm guessing it looked pretty horrific from the back but I was fine. Saying that I didn't like the epi. I couldn't feel a thing, couldn't use my legs and my labour stopped progressing although to be fair it was going slowly anyway. I ended up with an emergency section which again by the time I got to that point I was just done and wanted baby out safely. So while there was a bit of pain with the section, in my chest randomly, it was manageable. Once you're in labour your instincts will just take over and you just get on with it. While I'd never have an epi again my advice if you're dead set on it would be to have a low dose, i.e. Don't keep topping up! That's what led to me having no movement

I don't remember feeling a thing when the epidural went in. But 24 hours into labour I was probably way beyond caring about a tiny scratch! Plus I might still have been using gas & air??

I loved the epidural & would like to have one again if there's time etc. It made my legs itch while it was in, but again, prepared to labour pain, that was worth putting up with!

They put some numbing cream/wipe on my back and I had gas and air too, so I didn't feel a thing with the epidural going in.

I didn't feel mine at all - just a mild stinging sensation. The pain relief came within minutes but I still felt some pain on my right side so they came back in to adjust (no pain at all) and then all was good - sweet relief, was able to nap. They woke me up when it was time to push. The only thing I didnt like about the epi was that I believe it caused me to have an episiotomy that needed quite a few stiches and did some damage to my pelvic floor. I did feel pressure when pushing but didnt feel the urge to push so I probably wasnt doing it at the right times and after over an hour my doctor was getting annoyed and she cut me..

I had only gas and air for my first two labours - the first wasn't too bad, but the second was induced and overwhelming with overlapping contractions. For my third labour I decided way before I wanted an epidural. When I went into labour properly I'd already had days of mild tightenings and little sleep, and was getting contractions in my pubic bone (didn't know baby had her arm by her head at the time, which may have contributed). I refused to go any further without an epidural when I got into delivery, and sucked on gas and air for the contractions while they put the needle in. I didn't even notice it to be honest, I was just so grateful to be getting it and knowing the pain would ease soon.
The relief when it fully kicked in was amazing, I felt so much calmer. It needed doubling in dose a while later when the contractions were at their worst, but the job it did was amazing. My second stage was a lot longer that time as baby came very very slowly - they didn't realise her arm was up until she arrived, but it was a good job she did as it meant I didn't even need stitches despite the way she was born. Crowning wasn't painful with the epidural and I got to feel baby's head - with my second labour they asked if I wanted to feel and I couldn't even bring myself to move as I was so desperate to get him out.
I definitely plan on another epidural this time, the birth was far more positive for me and less stressful. It was a little weird pushing without having a big urge too, but worth it to remove that pain. The epidural also wore off pretty quickly and I could move around.
I would definitely recommend one, but only you know what's right for you xxxxx

It is mildly uncomfortable, but it doesn't hurt! The needle itself didn't bother me, but the position the anesthesiologist had me in the first time I found quite uncomfortable. That one ended up not working and I got another and it was perfectly comfortable, quick, and easy. And when it kicked in, it was amazing! I could suddenly just relax and enjoy labour pain free for a while (although unfortunately it wore off mostly before I started pushing). So, no, I wouldn't say it is painful to get, and any discomfort you do experience is well worth it, and FAR less painful than the contractions you'll be having.

I don't even remember getting mine honestly. All I remember is the sense of relief after :haha: I agree with the previous poster by the time you need your epidural your not paying any attention to the needle stick from the epidural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->