DOES Hypothyroidism play an affect when TTC?

Yes it does if its undiagnosed, however if it is being controlled by medication and is at a normal level it shouldn't.

I've been reading a little on this the past few days and the general consensus is yes. It needs to be under control for several reasons:
-difficulty concieving (irregular cycles, not ovulating)
-higher risk of miscarriage
-risk of birth defects.

So, yes it's important! The good news is that it seems when properly treated conception and pregnancy can proceed without significant problems. Treatment and monitoring are throughout pregnancy are also crucial because levels often change during pregnancy.

I just got a book from the library by Mary Shomon. She has several books and some articles online. She goes into detail explaining hypotyhroidism and she's not hard to read. Do you know your TSH levels? If not, try to find out because the optimal level (especially if you are TTC) is 2 or lower. Some doctors think 5 or 6 and lower is fine but the new recommendations are 2 or less!

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Hypothyroidism Totally affects TTC!

I was diagnosed as hypothryoid at 8 Weeks pregnant. (Luckily they found it early)

During my TTC my periods were very heavy and irregular, i only had 6 cycles in the whole 12 months we were trying.

I'm on my meds now and thankfully they're working, but yes there is a high risk is mis-carriage, low birth weight, premature labour, still births etc, but i'm staying positive as treatment reduces the chance of anything going wrong.

if you suspect you have a thyroid issue it's best to get it looked into now as it will make TTC alot easier!
:hugs:

Hi
I was diagnosed about 7 years ago. I had no trouble concieving my 3 yr old (it took 3 cycles), but I was constantly monitored through out the pregnancy. I did feel a bit like a pin cushion by the end! My meds were adjusted several times as my level fluctuated.
Just make sure with your doc that you are on the right amount of medication. Good luck

I've been reading a little on this the past few days and the general consensus is yes. It needs to be under control for several reasons:
-difficulty concieving (irregular cycles, not ovulating)
-higher risk of miscarriage
-risk of birth defects.

So, yes it's important! The good news is that it seems when properly treated conception and pregnancy can proceed without significant problems. Treatment and monitoring are throughout pregnancy are also crucial because levels often change during pregnancy.

I just got a book from the library by Mary Shomon. She has several books and some articles online. She goes into detail explaining hypotyhroidism and she's not hard to read. Do you know your TSH levels? If not, try to find out because the optimal level (especially if you are TTC) is 2 or lower. Some doctors think 5 or 6 and lower is fine but the new recommendations are 2 or less!

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Thank you for sharing this. My TSH level is 6.14 and I take thyroxine daily for hypothyroidism but since having my ovary removed I have felt different which is why I had the blood test. I am going back to the doctor on Wednesday as I really want them to sort everything out for me. There was mention of me taking Metformin aswell to kick my periods back into shape and get me ovulating. I'm going to see a different doctor who is generally very good. Do you know who recommends the 2 or less so I can quote it?

-x-

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->