Does it really matter that both of the names are from Twilight?

mysteriouseye

Pregnant with No.3
Reaction score
My DD who is 18 months old is called Esmee and pronounced es-mee as it is spelt. I originally I liked Esmeralda because I am half Spanish and Esmeralda means Emerald which is my birth stone in Spanish. My husband thought it was a bit OTT so we shortened it to Esmee. I had never watched twilight before and a few friends of our kept saying we got the name from twilight, which I told them was nonsense I’d never watched the film before. I watched it after Esmee was born and learnt the name was Esme (prounounced Esmay) so to me it’s a completely different name. So 18 months down the line and I am 20 weeks pregnant and found out baby is another girl, the only name me and hubby REALLY like is Bella, at first I said it was a no go because its from twilight and I don’t want people thinking I can only get names from twilight (I liked this name before twilight was even out) but it really is the only name we can agree on, so I have chosen Bella Maria (Maria is my mums middle name). I thought this was fine, until I am on this mummy page that has 300 mummys from around my area, and one of the ladies has a daughter called Bella Marie… I hope she doesn’t think im copying her… I don’t personally know her, but when my baby is born and I put it on the facebook group I don’t want her thinking I am a huge copy cat xxx

I think your worrying too much

1st I know Bella is from twilight but as someone who has never seen it Esmee wouldnt even ring a bell

2nd names with Belle/Bella are very common now and Marie is one of the most common middle names so its not like you copied an unusual name

you could pick a different name that shortens to Bella like Rosabella then its not copying twilight at all

Well it seems pretty clear that Esmee and Esme are completely different names, so therefore not copying and not from Twilight.

Bella is a super super common name, so if anyone says you're copying would be silly because it's probably in the top 10 in my area anyways.
I agree going with Isabella, Rosabella, Gabriella, etc. and use Bella as a nn but that's just my suggestion.

No need to worry. Somewhere out there every name is likely to be used more than once ;)

Bella went like top 5 after twilight so you'll always appear to be copying someone!

If u found out your kids were Esmee and Bella I wouldn't say your copying twilight, just assume your a huge fan

I never really give much thought to where people have got their names from - so I wouldn't think you were getting them from Twilight. There are so many people on this planet that it's difficult to come up with names that are completely unique, so I wouldn't worry and just go with whatever you like!

the whole twilight thing is completely dying out now anyway so i wouldnt even care tbh! about the copying its extremely hard to get a name nobody else has honestly i think your worrying too much. you have found a name you and dh love so go for it! x

As Twilight is still fresh in people's minds as a huge pop culture thing you can expect people to make that connection. I never even read the books but I would make the connection just from tidbits of pop couture information so that's something to keep in mind and think about how much that will personally bother you.
It's unfortunate since it's obvious your love of the names has nothing to do with the books/movie.

With that being said, a few years from now Twilight will be a thing of the past. Your children and their peers will probably not even know/care what Twilight is and will have their own fads.

Oh and just my personal opinopn, people name their children after fictional characters in books/tv/movies all the time so I personally wouldn't worry about it. And as far as names go I think your choices are really nice.

What lovely names for your girls. Try not to worry about it, I personally wouldn't associate Esmee with Twilight, but I'm not a big fan. Bella is very common now, I would suggest as the other ladies said, to use a longer version and nn her Bella. Although I'd steer clear of Isabella as its too common IMO.

Arabella
Anabella
Rosabella
Mirabella
Lorabelle
Kristabelle
Lulabelle

Hope that helps x

We're in the same boat! Our first born is Jacob and if we have another boy it is likely to be Edward :lol: but twilight isn't an influence for us - we just really like the names & Edward was my Grandads name. I know a few people will ask if it's a reference but Twilight is dying out so hopefully not too many people will :haha:. Love the names Esmee & Bella!

If you love the name, that's all that counts! 10years down the road people will forget about these movies . Don't change your baby's name based on this. If I have another boy (we are team yellow) we will be naming him Emmett James. Which there is an Emmett in twilight. I know I will get those comments from people but I could care less. It's your baby, your choice;)

You're over-thinking it! The bottom line is, you love the name. Plus it has family meaning for you so people won't think you're copying at all.

You will probably get a few Twilight comments at first and it's annoying while it lasts but it will die down.

I had all sorts of X-Factor comments for a while, even though my Amelia Lily was born two years before the girl was on the programme!! People get over it in the end.

If we ended up with a girl Bella was one of the top contenders. I really fell in love with the name thanks to twilight but it was actually hearing one of the non-main characters saying it lol. I didn't like it until I heard him say it!

I think its not a big deal if both names are from Twilight, I think you're over thinking it. :) I love both of your name choices

Seriously, who cares what others think? You didn't know anything about those names being in Twilight, and your first girl's name is pronounced differently. Bella is a cute name, and plenty of people around the world, in movies, books, music ect. have that name. Why limit everything to stupid twilight? My son's middle name is Edward, after his grandfather, not a stupid vampire. Do what you like!

Not at all! Choose the names that you like, that's the most important thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->