Does my dog know I'm pregnant?

Rymel12

Reaction score
Ever since I've been pregnant, my shepherd mix only sits/lays down at my feet. Doesn't matter if I'm on the couch, in the sitting area, or at the dining room table, she's there. I don't remember her being like this when I was pregnant with my daughter, but it's possible (I'm having a boy this time). So my question is, do you think she knows I'm pregnant and does anyone else's dog do this since becoming pregnant?

I definitely think it's possible. I've read of dogs changing their demeanour when a woman is going into labour too (not that it's the case for you just yet!)

My dog was very protective of me during my first pregnancy. She would always cuddle up to my belly until one day the baby kicked her and she didn't know what was going on (it was hilarious!)

I was sat with my dog yesterday and I looked round and he was just gazing at me so lovingly, bless him. He always wants to be close to me. x

Mine seemed to know the first time and he was quite clingy to me. The second time he wasn't bothered!

Dogs can sense changes in hormones and smells so i believe dogs do know when there are babies being made!

They can be trained to sniff out when someone is about to have a diebetic thingy and alert them to there sugar levels, they can be trained to sniff out cancers and epilitic fits and all sorts of other things that dont smell "normal" to them so yeah, id say its safe to assume doggie might get more protective of us while we grow our babys!

My 3 dogs follow me all over the house. they know what's up. When I was laboring at home last time, my dogs monitored me like nurses lol

Totally possible! When I was pregnant with my first, my friends dog kept smelling my crotch, lol. Nobody but hubby and I knew that I was pregnant.
Also, my cats become very clingy and cuddly when I'm pregnant... Almost as if to protect me. They lay on my lap more often, and snuggle up as close to my belly as possible. Animals can sense WAY more than what we give them credit for.

I definitely think it's possible.. but my dog is "special" to put it nicely lol. She is so crazy and still jumps all over me and has no sense of her surroundings. She is a 3 year old german shepherd. I swear she was dropped as a puppy or something because she isn't the brightest for a shepherd haha my poor girl.

Yep!! Dogs can detect your pregnancy very early on and will be naturally protective of you, mine is a bit of a nightmare when i am pregnant, extra loud when someone comes to the door and he cries a lot lol! Its very sweet <3

Kimmy your post made me LOL your dog sounds epic lol

I think they do know.

We run a dog-friendly pub and all the dogs that come in are all over me.

My own dog runs hot and cold with me since I've been preggo, but really has a go at DH if he tickles me or anything.

My dogs definitely know! My oldest rescue came from a home with a one year old when we got him 3 years ago, so the second we set up the crib he was on guard duty. Occasionally I have to assist the old bat up into his hind legs so he can confirm nothing is actually in the crib. He is constantly protecting my belly and sometimes in the middle of the night I roll over and he is guarding my side of the bed. Our middle pup (also rescued, no idea about his previous home) gets very protective over me and will start to get anxious if even hubby tries to hug me. My mom came over and as she left he stood between us while we hugged. Our little dog has no clue what is going on but she is a daft pug and her only concern is all the cool new things we bring home. She is always pawing at packages of diapers and whining for me to open things I keep in boxes (swing, bouncer, play mat)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->