Does nursery need a blackout blind?

Sherley

One of each!
Reaction score
Hi everyone
Just wondering what others are doing in nurseries - we have a cream curtain and I didnt think anything of it, then my SIL said we'd need a blackout blind or baby wont sleep when its light.
Obviously he'll be sleeping in our bedroom for a while anyway but I wondered how necessary any of you second plus time mums think a blackout blind is?
Thanks! x

This is number three, and Ive noticed when the baby is newborn..they will sleep whenever they need too. Blackout curtain or not. :) maybe when they are a bit older and your trying to get them down for a nap :)

babys sleep fine without a black out blind if they are used to it my son never had one and hes slept rite the way through the nite from being 3 month old
if babies needed a blackout blind to make them sleep then we'd be pretty screwed as to what to do in day when were out and about lol

my dd is 14mths and we slept at my mums other night. She has light curtains and i thought for sure we would have an early wake up. But we didnt. As above if they never have them they shouldnt need them. As a newborn they will sleep anywhere. You could always get one next summer if needed

without blackout curtains i would have to gt up at 4am with my son. im gonna sew some blackout material behind the curtains, might as well do it now while i gt the time for it.

Personally, Stephen sleeps without one! Gets to 7pm and he's so tired he doesn't care if it's light or dark :)

i dont think its needed when they are little as they will sleep anywhere when they are tired, I had to invest in one last summer for my oldest DD she was 2 and she wouldnt go to bed when it was light and will be putting one in DD2s room when we move as i cant cope with the 6am starts much longer, we stayed at my mums the other day and she slept till 8.30am as my mum has heavy curtains so its defo the light waking her x

One of my friends has these amazing black-out blinds that block ALL light- she can get her son's room pitch black. She told me it helps him sleep much better than when she tries to put him down for a nap in any other room. (He's a toddler now- when he was a baby he slept when he was tired, light be damned.)

I was going to buy the special light-blocking shades for the nursery, but we got new replacement windows and now I can't install blinds on the inside of the frame like they're supposed to go. :-( So instead I'll just buy some "thermal" curtains, which are the kind with extra thick backings to keep drafts out of the room, but work pretty well for light blocking, too.

I'm having mine fitted tomorrow but my nursery had two massive windows and is a very light room so had no choice but to get them really x

im not going to bother with one. i dont want baby to get too fussy over how it sleeps so im going to have a bedtime routine but no special quirks when he actually gets put down (like black out blinds, swaddling, dummy, special toy or special blanket etc.) cos i think once the habits are formed they are hard to break.

Ruby just naps or sleeps when she's tired, and we don't have blackout blinds at all. Her room is very light and has a huge window that takes up the whole long side of the room. She's 17m old now and she goes to sleep whether the curtain is open or drawn. Mind you, she also sleeps whether it's noisy or quiet. We've never used a specific routine, or taken any notice of what is happening at the times of her naps and going to bed, and she has slept 11hrs a night since 9wks old. We honestly put it down to no routine and no 'environment controlling' it's just meant that she's growing up able to get to sleep in any situation wherever we are at the time. Hope that helps xx

Interesting thread, I hadn't really thought about not putting BO blinds up. Annoyingly there's a street light right outside our nursery window and we can never get to sleep in there (it's currently a spare double room). I can't decide whether baby will want dark or whether it's actually just a cheap night light!

I was wondering about curtains also and asked a few of my friends with children what they suggested. I was told by my friend to not use thick curtains or a very quiet room to put the baby to sleep at first because they will get used to it and then later you will HAVE to have a dark, quiet room to put them in to sleep, but I don't know yet because I have never had a baby and I haven't decided what I am going to do yet. :)

I got one later one when she was about one as she was waking with the light. It is a good thing to have as she associates the darkness as night time.

I got a blackout blind, but on what someone else said, It may actually be better not using one so then LO gets used to sleeping in all types of light? So I think I may try both

Im a terrible sleeper if its not dark enough.. I wonder if it down to me always having thick dark curtains when growing up?!

We've got them in both bedrooms, but they don't fit right into the corners of the windows, so some light does get in down the side. It makes the room dark enough, but you also know when it's light outside. Personally I prefer it that way to the blinds that fit right in the frame. I get really disoriented sleeping in rooms with them - I like to know whether it's light or dark outside. I also wouldn't want baby to get too fussy about it's sleeping habits.

I think I might just get some thicker curtains but not bother with the total blackout.

I've just had them fitted- they aren't just to block out light they repel heat- which we need as the nursery is always over 20degrees!! Also in winter they keep the room warm! I plan on just using it half way too- so it's never pitch black!! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->