Does progesterone delay the inevitable (if pregnancy not viable)?

Bettydraper

Reaction score
I have posted this in miscarriage support section but thought you may have experience here.

I really need some advice from someone who has been in this position.

I'm currently 4w3d after an IUI. First BFP was at 12dpo, and blood test at 13po showed low levels of HCG of 22, this coincided with brown/pink spotting. Two days later it was 34, so not doubling.

The spotting/light bleeding has continued and now at 17dpo the digital is still saying positive 1-2, but regular hpt is very faint. Its definitely not my period so I'm a bit confused. The clinic has told me to come back in a week and keep taking the progesterone but I fear I'm delaying the inevitable chemical/miscarriage. This is my 6th unsuccessful pregnancy and the first time on progesterone. I have got my head around it not working but it gets harder as the days go by, I want to move on if its not viable but I also want to fight for the bean if there's hope. The way I see it, this early on its just a bad period, later on there can (and has been) complications..

Has anyone had this dilemma? Thanks for reading

Hi Hun, I'm sorry I can't speak on previous experience about this. Under advice from several ladies I used progesterone cream post O to help conceive and then have continued every day since. So, I'd keep taking the progesterone if I were you, just in case. fx for you! :hugs:

I'm on progesterone too. The way I understand it is the progesterone supplement helps your body sustain the uterine lining. So, the lining will not break down and result in a period. I would guess that it might "mask" a miscarriage; in the sense that if you miscarried, your period may not start while you are taking the progesterone. But I think you should keep taking it if that its your doctors advice because if the pregnancy is viable, your body needs the support to keep the lining in place.

fingers crossed for you! My hcg levels were really low at first too and didn't quite double but I seem to be on track now.

Hi sweetie,

It did delay it for me (by 4 weeks). Now, I would not stop taking it without Docs orders, but in my case I was taken off if it after a scan showed no growth and the h/b had stopped. Once I stopped the progesterone, I began miscarrying the next day.

Fx this is not the case for you!

Thanks, it's really good to get some first hand experience. I will call them tomorrow and chat this through, all the signs are here that its over but when there's just a glimmer of hope the mind goes into overdrive. The past 18 mths has toughened me up though and as I feel I just want to face it and move on to try again.

Still, fingers crossed for a miracle!

Thanks again :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"