Does this sound like reflux or something else?

Zfbaby

Reaction score
Firstly hi all,
I'm hoping someone can help me as I'm close to my limit. Even if it is just to tell me im not insane!

My son is 7weeks old and weve been having so many problems with him that all seem to stem from his feeding. He seems to be constantly uncomfortable and miserable. He's always full of trapped wind and his mouth is always blue no matter how much winding we do. Sometimes he will scream for hours in pain, drawing his legs up and nothing can console him. At first my hv said it was just colic and it was normal, just to wait out the next 3 months! I told her i thought it was more than that but she said no. Whilst I'm sure it's also colic I'm not sure this is the only thing as he screams all day not just in the evening.
Every feeding is so stressful as he arches his back, draws his legs up and refuses to take the bottle after only 1-2oz.he also starts breathing funny and coughing and choking. He even claws at his face and sometimes us. After we have finally finished a feed which can sometimes take up to an hour and a half and more with the constant stopping to calm him and wind him we then have to sit with him upright on our chests to get him to sleep. He will fall asleep for 10-15mins and wake up crying in pain and hungry. You can see him squirming and writhing and he squeals in his sleep. He's asleep on me now but I just heard a swallow and then he jumped and squealed. He's so tired all the time it makes him so grouchy. I spend all day rocking him and most nights sit up all night holding him. I went to my gp and he prescribed ranitidine but this has changed nothing in fact sometimes i think it makes things worse. Originally we thought it might be silent reflux as he never threw up now hes sick quite often. We then changed his formula to hipp organic and added a probiotic.We also use dr browns bottles. This also did nothing. We've been to osteopathy and used infacol, dentinox and gripe water and still nothing is changing. My husband and I are at are wits end and I've been so down my dr has said its pnd. Finally my hv said to try a hypoallergenic milk to rule out an intolerance. After a session of osteo yesterday and starting the new milk i thought maybe thungs were hetting better but no we just had the one better night. I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall and we are treating him for several things it MIGHT be without anyone taking the time to confirm it. No ones even ever offered to watch him feed!
Any way sorry for the long rant I just don't know what to do next. I feel like our baby is miserable and hates us for not helping him more. Everytime I feed him I cry as he looks at me expecting me to help. He's so hungry but won't eat and so tired but can't sleep. Is this just extreme wind or am I right to suspect more?
All the time I was expecting him I imagined feeding my lovely smiling baby and now feel I'm living in a nightmare.

it definitely sounds like reflux to me. my daughter has severe reflux along with cows milk protein allergy. we ended up in hospital last week with her as it had gotten so bad it was constantly coming out of her nose and she was just screaming without a break. she was arching so far back, going rigid, screaming especially with every burp, burps for hours after feeds, crying during feeds, being sick aftrr feeds, couldnt lay down etc..

she was already on nutramigen, but it worsened the reflux with it being so thin. so they noe trying ranitidine and two sachets of gaviscon. but are probably going to give her domperidone. she also had a barium swallow to rule out hernias etc.

if you feel your gp is unresponsive (like mine was - theres nothing u can do!!!he said)...go up to A&E. thats what i do now after being told that by the childrens ward. they will ring the paediagricians for advice anyway and they will probably just say they want to examine her thenselvea!

good luck. you know your baby better than anyone and dont underestimate your mothers instinct x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->