Does this sound right? Tax credits

So if you earn over 28k you get 10 a week and no help towards childcare?

You will get £10 week tax credits and some help towards childcare still.

No hun, you dont get any help towards childcare at all if your over that threshhold....Not one single pound!

Confused.com - last year we earnt a combined 32k and we get £158 a month in TCs.

I remember you commenting one on another CTC thread and you mentioned the above and i was so confused as our earnings are similar to yours and we are entitled to absolutely nothing...?

However the tax yr before we were entitled to the 80% and as soon as April kicked in we were now deemed as being entitled to nothing....no help with childcare or anything.

I called them, not once, but a handful of times to confirm cos the call answerers there always sound confused themselves :lol: and they all said the same????

Have no clue how it's worked out or what the thresholds are but we were told we are likely entitled to £10 per week but nothing towards childcare. I actually thought it would make more sense the other way round :shrug: surely helping with childcare costs is more likely to encourage someone to work.

I posted my form off last week anyway, it's £10 better in my pocket than theirs :thumbup:

No hun, you dont get any help towards childcare at all if your over that threshhold....Not one single pound!

Confused.com - last year we earnt a combined 32k and we get £158 a month in TCs.

I remember you commenting one on another CTC thread and you mentioned the above and i was so confused as our earnings are similar to yours and we are entitled to absolutely nothing...?

However the tax yr before we were entitled to the 80% and as soon as April kicked in we were now deemed as being entitled to nothing....no help with childcare or anything.

I called them, not once, but a handful of times to confirm cos the call answerers there always sound confused themselves :lol: and they all said the same????

from my calculations your right lellow using their calculator

Have you filled out your renewal pack? Apparently what you're getting now might not be right, god knows. My friend who works for government seems to think I should be getting more than we are. Last tax year we were getting £280 a month :wacko:

Same here, we never got a thing :shrug: I'd be really worried that they were overpaying you the £158....but then i worry about everything. I got paid in an extra £400 this month as they must have underpaid me last year, and i was on the phone checking they had paid it into the right account :rofl:....well, you never know with the I.R do you?!

Have you told them last years income? Have you done your renewal :)

Have you filled out your renewal pack? Apparently what you're getting now might not be right, god knows. My friend who works for government seems to think I should be getting more than we are. Last tax year we were getting £280 a month :wacko:

No, not yet....Its sat by the TV and i cringe everytime i see it :lol: I will though, esp as your saying they may have wrong calculations...

Its a bloody joke tho, how are we meant to understand it when there own employees/call handlers dont :dohh:

Have you told them last years income? Have you done your renewal :)

We've sent it off yeah. Last tax year we were getting £280 a month, so we have seen a drastic drop in our payments.

They told me we earn to much and only qualify for it if you earn a low amount think it was less than 18k as we get 18,000k x

That's the childcare element btw

I get £59 a week and that is based on my income of £17400 for last year!! Oh plus £6 a week WTC, I do get £120 a week help with childcare though:)

I never filled out my renewal pack but gave all the info over the phone in May and they sent me the new award x

I get £59 a week and that is based on my income of £17400 for last year!! Oh plus £6 a week WTC, I do get £120 a week help with childcare though:)

I never filled out my renewal pack but gave all the info over the phone in May and they sent me the new award x

So whats the threshhold then? Im assuming you recieve that amount as the £17,400 is under it?

So whats the threshhold then? Im assuming you recieve that amount as the £17,400 is under it?

According to the I.R site, £41K :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Oh...:wacko:

Im confused even more now....

Oh...:wacko:

Im confused even more now....

You and me both :shock:...i might phone them up and ask them for my backdated payments for the last god knows how many years :haha:

Well I did my renewal over the phone yesterday. I am due back in sept. I enquired about how much help we will get for childcare. He asked an estimate of what we would earn this tax yr and based on a joint income of around £27,000 and nursery fees of £80.50 p/w, we would be entitled to £89 tax credits.

I can never work out how the come to the amount they do.

They base your award on your TAXABLE earning from last year hun, is that more than £28k?

If you earnt £28k in taxable income you would get some help towards childcare xx

It is more yeah, its prob about £30k x

Oh it is so confusing!!! Do you get any TC's at the moment? £30k you should get £10 a week, and you should get some help towards your childcare x

We get the minimum £10.45 a week. Nothing for childcare.
But get this -

For the tax year to 2010, our actual was £50k, and we got £20 something a week. Last year (based on what we get now) I earned next to nothing (was on stat mat pay) and get the £10.45! I know the difference was cos of the newborn element but still!!

I work part time, about 20 hours self employed, net profit est at £8600. Hubby is also self employed and his net profit is est at £20k.
Just rang tax credits cos rather than relying on my mum 3 days a week, and i thought it would be nice for her to go to a childminder for 2 of the days, to be around other kids, going to the groups with them etc.
And I get the grand total of f** all back. Not even 1p a week. On an outlay of £160 per month. Our earnings are too high apparently.

Does that sound right???

We are in pretty much the same situation, lo will be going to a childminder 2 days a week and we earn about the same and get the minimum £10 a week.
At work I see so many people on wtc so they get all the free prescriptions and dental treatment and I know what they do for a job so know they earn a lot more than me and oh, guess its down to the amount of children and childcare cost but doesn't seem fair that you benefit more from wtc than just normal tc.

From what I understand tax credits has several thresholds.
If you earn under £6.5 k (approx) you get the max entitlements for your family. Anything over this is reduced by 41%, so 41p for every pound you earn is deducted.
The next threshold is £16.5k (approx). If you earn over this you are not entitled to working tax credit.
You continue to get child tax credit until you earn over £41k although I have heard this figure will be reduced to £25k then £22k :-(
As I understood it childcare costs are part of working tax credit but I know of loads of people who don't get WTC but still get childcare.
Soooo confusing!

From what I understand tax credits has several thresholds.
If you earn under £6.5 k (approx) you get the max entitlements for your family. Anything over this is reduced by 41%, so 41p for every pound you earn is deducted.
The next threshold is £16.5k (approx). If you earn over this you are not entitled to working tax credit.
You continue to get child tax credit until you earn over £41k although I have heard this figure will be reduced to £25k then £22k :-(
As I understood it childcare costs are part of working tax credit but I know of loads of people who don't get WTC but still get childcare.
Soooo confusing!

and we earn slightly over 17000 and get 6pw wtc and we dont pay childcare. And as another poster said we get 58pw ctc. There is 2 adults and 1 child on award. Just my oh earns. Its bad that if i worked i wouldnt get childcare costs are our income would be higher. So under a government that says we wont be better off not workio. I am better of not in working lol.

Its bad that if i worked i wouldnt get childcare costs are our income would be higher. So under a government that says we wont be better off not workio. I am better of not in working lol.

We're in the same position. I'm working nights as a cleaner as then we don't have to pay out for childcare. I'd love to go back to my office job but just couldn't afford to pay out more on childcare than I earned.
When my baby is born I'll be out of the workplace for a couple of years as it just isn't worth me even looking at a job until the kids qualify for some free childcare (I think at age 3).
It really infuriates me. OH earns a decent wage but when it's spread across a family of 6, soon to be 7 it doesn't go far :nope:
I'm using the time to gain qualifications so hopefully I can go back to work at a higher level, thereby earning more money and not stuck in the frsutrating tax credit system.
I know we'll still be worse off for a few years but I'm scared to leave it too long to go back to work or I might not get an opportunity to ever go back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->