Does where you got your degree make a difference?

daneuse27

Reaction score
This question is mainly geared towards US/UK ladies (or anywhere outside Canada.)

If you get a degree from a prestigious university; say Harvard, Oxford, Princeton, etc.. are you more likely to be considered for job opportunities later on? For example, an employer might give more weight to an applicant who's a graduate from Oxford as opposed to an average university simply because its Oxford? And does having a degree from an upscale uni open up doors that you might not otherwise have?

Thanks!

I think it depends what you want to do afterwards and what you are studying. In my teaching career nobody has cared where I got my degree but previously I worked in pharmaceuticals and academia and there it mattered more. I got my BSc and MSc in an ex polytechnic and although I was lucky to have had a placement year at a large company which helped me get interviews afterwards it was definitely brought up in some interviews where I got my degree and why I didn't go to a Russell group uni. One place I worked said outright I only got the job because my degree was a 1:1 and my MSc was with distinction whereas they have taken someone from a better uni with a 2:1 and possibly less. In academia I wouldn't have got anywhere if my PhD hadn't come from a more prestigious uni. It has also opened up more opportunities because in some cases it really does matter who and not what you know. I have had several opportunities abroad based solely on who I have studied with/known and not what I know.

That said however I know people who have studied different courses like games design etc and the best universities to study it are not the most prestigious.

It depends on the industry. I'd say law, politics, accountancy etc... Definately yes but generally most employers often don't even ask.

A more prestigious uni will often get the best research projects and have links to businesses so you may get unique opportunities that will help you network later.

I think generally Oxbridge etc will always be impressive, I think it says a lot about a person as well as whatever degree they got. If you graduated from a uni like that I'm guessing you'd mention it within your job application (as well as the previous education section) so I think an employer would take notice, although obviously at the end of the day it'll be the experience that will get the job, I don't think the degree in itself would sell someone all by itself, I think it would set your apart, and generally if you've graduated from there youre quite likely to have good experience in other areas anyway! Generally universities have different strengths, it's always best to go to a uni that is well known for the subject you want to do. For my MSc there's only 5 unis in the UK that do it and all are accredited so there's not really any preference as to which uni you do that through. I did history and I get asked quite a lot where I studied, not by my employers but usually visitors to the service as I work with a lot of academics.

So yeah I don't think it guarantees anything but I do think it sets you apart from other candidates so long as you tick all the other necessary boxes, I think it's impressive in my field anyway.

(Just to add I didn't go to a particularly special uni, not any of the ones you mention anyway haha)

Maybe Oxbridge but other than that I'm not sure? I applied for a job that is only usually open to Russell Group universities (I study with The Open University) and luckily they were not at all put off by my university and I got the job. It has also never been mentioned in other job interviews as a negative thing, which I'm glad of as the standard they ask at the OU is actually really high, and the work is tough! In day to day life people look down on it a little though.

Yes, definitely. I'm an academic and work within the university system. And where you get your degree definitely matters, but it may matter more or less depending on your field and the geographic area you're wanting to work in. So in some places, having a degree from a local university that has a strong alumnae network in the area can be incredibly beneficial if you plan to live in that area. This is the case with a lot of 'state' universities in the U.S. So if you went to the University of Florida, UF alums have a really strong sense of identity and strong local alumnae networks. You might do better in these kinds of areas if you have a degree from a certain loved local university, even when up against folks from more prestigious out of state schools. There are also certain universities that are particularly well-respected in certain fields, and they are generally good universities overall, but they aren't necessary your Havards and Yales and Oxfords. The University of Chicago is very well respected in my field, which is Sociology. If you get your degree from them, rather than say, from Yale (which doesn't have the greatest program), you'll be much better positioned for jobs in that field. My graduate university was the University of California, San Francisco. Most people don't even know there is a UC in San Francisco, but it's the top-ranked medical school in the country. If you want to go into medicine, it would benefit you a lot to graduate from there, but it's not Harvard), though Harvard has a good (just not as highly ranked) medical school as well.

That said, many of the top universities have very strong alumnae recruitment networks, especially in particular fields and in particular cities. So your Harvard's/Yale's and your Oxford's/Cambridge's are really good at linking students and alums to jobs via their alumnae networks, and their particularly good at this in the geographic areas where their former students tend to end up. So for Harvard and Yale, this would be Boston, New York, Washington DC, and for Oxford/Cambridge, in London. If you have a degree from one of these universities and you can be connected through their alumnae network to employers, who are also alums, and who are hiring, you will likely be favoured for a job over others who don't have those connections. But that might not be beneficial in every geographic area or in every field.

Certainly, networking can play a huge role in pursuing a career and having a connection like attending the same university can open up doors in networking for you, but it's not the only thing and it may not always be the most important thing. In my field, my university is particularly well known for the type of sociology I do and the type of research methodology I work with, so I have that up and also that additional hands-on training in those methods that other folks in my field, who might have gone to Harvard or Yale, wouldn't have. So that's a big bonus. But marketing myself and my work (publishing, presenting at conferences, making connections with others in my field) is a big part of it too, and that isn't really dependent on what university I went to. It's much more about personality and motivation. So yes, it definitely helps, depending on where you want to work and in what field, but it's not everything. If you have a choice between a big name school that isn't quite the right fit or won't offer you as much support or enable you to really do what you want, and a lessor known one that is a great fit and will let you study exactly what you really want to do, I'd take the lessor known school. Certainly, when I have done hiring, someone from a prestigious school might have stood out, but only if they had the experience and something special to offer to back it up. I'm much more interested in drive and talent than credentials and there are lots of ways to demonstrate that in the interview process other than just having a flashy degree.

I don't know if I necessarily agree that your place of study determines your employability. I attend a university which is commonly referred to as a 'Mickey Mouse university' purely because it was previously a college before it became a university in 1993. However, my university has a post grad employment rate of 96%, ranking it 11th in the UK, ahead of Oxford and Cambridge. I do still think that there is a misconception that 'better' universities will produce better employees, and I don't think that is necessarily true.

Maybe Oxbridge but other than that I'm not sure? I applied for a job that is only usually open to Russell Group universities (I study with The Open University) and luckily they were not at all put off by my university and I got the job. It has also never been mentioned in other job interviews as a negative thing, which I'm glad of as the standard they ask at the OU is actually really high, and the work is tough! In day to day life people look down on it a little though.

I also think that OU is tougher than a brick uni where you have set weekly lectures. You have to put a lot of work in yourself and motivate yourself with your studies and assignments. I did my access year through the OU and I found it so much tougher to get motivated to do my work than I do now at Hull University.

definitely depends on industry - finance, engineering and medical yes definitely.

I'd say it depends on what field of work you are planning to be in. I work in a medical laboratory, and aside from Pathologists, I'd say the rest of the lab staff college/university of choice really didn't matter in the slightest to their getting hired. As long as the person had completed their degree and completed the board certification requirements to do the job, the college/university they went to really isn't looked at much. I know I rarely look at where someone went to school when I'm doing interviews. I don't care where they went, really. As long as they have their degree and certification, I care much more about their actual skills in the field. Their skills are what it comes down to for me, and for most others in this field.

So anyways, all that to say that I really think it depends on the field of work. Some fields definitely place a great amount of weight on where you got your degree, like law, medicine, etc.

I also think that OU is tougher than a brick uni where you have set weekly lectures. You have to put a lot of work in yourself and motivate yourself with your studies and assignments. I did my access year through the OU and I found it so much tougher to get motivated to do my work than I do now at Hull University.

Definitely! The main transferable skill from ou study is the completely self directed motivation :thumbup:

I have to disagree with what some people have said about finance as an industry that where you got your degree matters. When my firm highers for its graduate programs it what you studied and how well you did at it that matter more than where you did it. We are far more interested in a 1st from a 'rubbish' university in finance and business and a 2.2 from Oxbridge in sociology as an example. Maybe we are unusual as a firm as you don't actually need a degree to get on our training program.

Also once you have some relevant experience we never really consider if someone even has a degree. Just their experience.

In the arts not at all. In my industry they don't even care if you have a degree, it's all about your portfolio of work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->