Does your husband hug/kiss/cuddle your son?

Monix

Reaction score
I come from a very affectionate family, we always had lots of hugs and kisses from both mom and dad. We're all adults now and my husband jokes about how my family hugs every time we enter the same room.

But he is at the other end of the spectrum. I didn't really notice until a few months ago when I started trying to teach our son to kiss/hug us. He always says to him "boys don't hug". He doesn't even hug him goodbye he gives him a high 5. He's not even 9 months old, I'm worried that if my husband feels awkward showing affection when he is a baby it is just going to get worse :(

Is this normal? Am I more sensitive because I grew up differently? How do your husbands act with your sons??

Thanks!!

All of our kids get hugs and kisses regardless of sex. I di find it a bit strange but I guess if that's how your husbands been brought up its normal to him.

My OH always kisses and hugs the kids. My dad is very much like that though and gives them a high 5 goodbye, i can tell he finds affection very uncomfortable

My husband doesn't really show much affection with his family and wouldn't hug or kiss anyone apart from his mum or me but he is really affectionate with our son who is the oldest and also our daughter. He is no more affectionate with our daughter than son. Our son is very affectionate and loves to cuddle and kiss and he often lays with his dad on a night for a cuddle. X

My OH didn't get any physical affection (or any verbal that I'm aware of) from his own father, but he kisses and cuddles our son and daughters a lot. Actually more than I do but that's probably because I have a baby glued to me most of the day.

He does do the whole "boys don't cry" bullshit which I hate and tell him to stop.

Thomas sits on OH's lap often and they hang out together like that watching youtube etc.

Yep all the time, he'd be the same as with our daughter

Yes they cuddle all the time! I would find it odd tbh

FOB isn't involved in my daughters life but my brother kisses and cuddles my DD (his niece) and he's her uncle, it's all very normal.

The whole 'boys don't hug/cry/anything else' attitude is a horribly toxic attitude and I'd make him stop that ASAP.

I know I don't have a real perspective to give on this but my OH is an affectionate person and showed it to his 2 boys. I know he will to our daughter too but from a different view, my dad was never shown affection from his parents so we never had the kiss and cuddle thing. But to be honest, because I'm so used to how he is now, the idea of that weirds me out A LOT. Shame really.

My oh gives.otsof hugs and kisses but is old fashioned in certain ways for example if Ds aged 2.5 trips up ect he will almost always tell him he is ok and try Supress the upset and tears if they happen ... Ie don't make a fuss ! He also tells me ill make him " soft " by putting gloves on him !! Needless to say I'm eh re- educating him lol.....

But its tough if your oh was brought up with this as his" norm" maybe try talk to him ?

Yes, my son's 6 and still gets lots of hugs and kisses from his dad.

My DH gives lots of kisses and cuddles to both kids regardless of gender.

My oh is very affectionate with all 3 of our boys and our baby daughter.. As am I.. He comes from very affectionate like family.. I'm
Very close to my family but never been over hug like with each other.. Whereas with my own children and husband I am very affectionate xx

My DH isn't a big romantic but he is affectionate to both our daughters and our son, however my own father is kind of like your DH so I can understand why this would bother you. Most men really aren't taught to show affection. I can just envision two teenagers high-5ing instead of hugging each other which isn't too out of the ordinary, however he should see his son as his son and not as simply another male. His son is his flesh and blood, not simply a friend. Hopefully they will bond more as he gets older and is able to do more with him. :hugs:

My DH won't even hug his own mum but is very affectionate with our son. They kiss (on the lips) and even shower together.

Haha it's a guy thing I think. Some are just like that. Mine hugs our daughter and says "Stop being a baby" if she starts crying too much haha. He also talks to her like she's an adult. He was telling her about nuclear physics last night. But yeah he's never kissed her. She's only 5 weeks. He's really doing his best as a dad. His dad left when he was born. So he's never had a father figure in his life.

My husband and I both grew up with very hands-off families. He's very affectionate towards me, more so than I am to him these days (likely because I have a kid on me constantly). It took him a while to be affectionate with our first, though. I don't think he really started until my son was old enough to initiate it. I remember the first few times my son kissed his daddy on the lips. It was awkward for my husband. Now, at 3, he gets a kiss from Daddy every morning, and they often snuggle. He's been affectionate with son #2 from the get-go.

Like I said, my family was not affectionate. Mom, dad, grandparents, nada. I think it's a shame.

Your husband might feel awkward, not opposed or disinterested. Maybe as your son gets a bit older it'll get easier?

:( aww i hope he doesn't pass that on to your son.... My dh hugs and kisses all of our boys, much to their annoyance ( oldest is 10 lol) and says he will still do it when they are 25 to get on their nerves.

OH and I have kiss and cuddle puddles! Not sure why he would be teaching his son that boys don't hug? Because boys and girls alike hug and kiss, at least in my family. Have you brought it up with him?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->