Does your newborn scream during nappy changes and baths?

sweetsammi

1st time mummy and WTT
Reaction score
My LO goes barmy! Cannot do anything to calm him down, the minute i start to change his nappy or bath him he screams so much he nearly makes himself sick. :( x

rhys always enjoyed baths and being naked but maybe try playing soft music or having the lights low whilst bathing him, or talking soothingly to him whilst changing his nappy.

sometimes though thats just how babies are! you just have to accept that they dont like it :(

you have to remember hun that he is still only tiny and he has spent 9 months all warm and cosy, having air touch him will be a shock yo the system to him, both mine used to kick off in th early days, you just have to give it time whilst they adjust to all this new stuff.
remember he is learning as well as you and it will just all come tigether

i found the best thing with nappies is to be as quick as possible, and if he doesn't like the bath, leave it for a while and just do the top to toe thing

good luck :hugs:

We found its what we put her on - In her room where the changing top is we turned the heating up a notch and when we change her keep something nice and soft under her head top half of bare skin rather than the changing mat. This appeared to calm her down more when changing.

Hope that helps.

Although note that it works better for Daddy this method than Mummy *sigh* :lol:

Ours were a bit like that, though now they've gone the other way and scream blue murder when I'm trying to get clothes on them and can't wait to get their bums out in the air! I'm breeding a couple of naturists here! :rofl:

I used to find (and still find) that some days the crying just touches a nerve and is really difficult to bear and then other days it's totally fine and I can almost block it out. I pity our neighbours though! Hopefully as time gets on you'll find it easier to cope with and he'll get more used to being stripped off.

Bethanie has always loved her baths (apart from her first one in hospital, she hated that). She goes mad most of the time when I try to change her though, especially when I hold her legs up (this is because she wants to crawl/roll away though lol). She was always good as a newborn, but as already said.. I think most little ones don't like having their nappy changed and I agree with putting something soft on the changing mat!

Wait until they're a year old and you can't dress them, put them in their highchair, cot, pushchair without a tantrum! arched backs woo

Caitlin loves the bath - I had showers mainly whist PG and when I was in the bath I used my fluffy thing (forgot name lol) dip it in the bath and drip it over my belly so when we bathed her we realised she liked that witha lil cup hehe

I had to lie Ewan down on a towel on top of the changing mat as the changing mat on its own was too cold and he would scream.

He also screamed in the bath but i think i wasnt very good at getting the water temp right and was a bit to cold or a bit to warm!

Now Ewan just screams if i try and wash his hair!!

Oh the hair washing as a kid ~ I dread that part of baths for the near future lol

Oh the hair washing as a kid ~ I dread that part of baths for the near future lol

Yeh i'm sure our neigbour thinks i'm throttling him! i have the window shut in the summer as it sounds so embarasin!

:lol: I can imagine!

They prob don't think that at all but I can imagine your thoughts as the Mummy.

We just pour the water over Bethanie's head when washing her hair, im sure the more wussy you get, the more they do. We obviously try our best to keep it out of her eyes, but if she gets a bit in.. she just goes "uh" and is smiling again. Im trying to teach her to put her head back, it's going well so far.

We just pour the water over Bethanie's head when washing her hair, im sure the more wussy you get, the more they do. We obviously try our best to keep it out of her eyes, but if she gets a bit in.. she just goes "uh" and is smiling again. Im trying to teach her to put her head back, it's going well so far.

I'm certainly not 'wussy' with him, i give him a flannel or a sponge which he knows to hold over his eyes, but he still screams blue murder!
Trying to teach him to put his head back but not going that well!

They say johnsnons shampoo doesnt sting when in your eyes... well they lie ! i washed my hair with it and it stung!

as for the hair washing, as a small kid, my mom and dad would make me hold a small washcloth to my forhead to block the water from getting in my eyes. hope that helps!

Callum hates having his nappy changed and cos im breastfeeding he needs changing every five mins!!!

He hates the bath also, neighbours will think im throtling him!

What about undressing completly or leave in nappy and trying to massage? Persevere with it, but once you undress him, lay him on his mat cover it with a towel and then start to massage him with baby oil , he may start to relate and find it comforting after while. x

I'm certainly not 'wussy' with him, i give him a flannel or a sponge which he knows to hold over his eyes, but he still screams blue murder!
Trying to teach him to put his head back but not going that well!

They say johnsnons shampoo doesnt sting when in your eyes... well they lie ! i washed my hair with it and it stung!
lol, that wasn't directed at you by the way.:dohh: but yea, the flannel is a good idea, my mum used to do that one with me.

And yes Johnsons shampoo does bloody sting, when it gets to rinsing the shampoo off of her hair I don't just wash it in her eyes, I do it carefully. A tip if they still hair short baby hair - you can rub most of it off gently with a sponge.. thats what we do, then rinse the excess.

Bethanie has always loved her baths (apart from her first one in hospital, she hated that). She goes mad most of the time when I try to change her though, especially when I hold her legs up (this is because she wants to crawl/roll away though lol). She was always good as a newborn, but as already said.. I think most little ones don't like having their nappy changed and I agree with putting something soft on the changing mat!

Wait until they're a year old and you can't dress them, put them in their highchair, cot, pushchair without a tantrum! arched backs woo

Sam has just started that phase. Just the site of the nappy in my hand and he's off. You'd think he was being tortured and I started having crazy thoughts like maybe the staff at nursery were doing horrible things to him when they were changing him or something and that's why he reacted so badly! I've had to start getting up earlier in the morning in preparation for a battle. It's like his top and bottom half are independant of each other. I'm just waiting from a knock from social services after 'concerned complaints' from the neighbours!! He's always loved his bath...it's the getting him out of if that is bad. When I lifted him out the other day he wriggled and arched his back so much he banged his head off the metal handle bit. I couldn't sleep all night for fretting!

Anna gets very scared when I bath her and screams the house down until she is wrapped up in a towl and being cuddled tightly! I've found that I can sometimes get away with it if I hold her very securely in the water (laying in my arm in the water rather than holding her with my hands - as if I'm still cuddling her) but it does make all the business of washing her rather more complicated! :dohh:

I try now just to bath her to a bare minimum! Am taking her swimming soon so will see if she likes that (being in the water with me) any more... Wish I had a proper bath tub so that I could get in with her and cuddle her properly! Am sure it would help her to be more calm at bath times....

My boy LOVES the bath... I always put the heating on to max in the bathroom so it's very warm, I only turn on a small light so it's very cozy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->