Doesn't like eating.... anything!

CeliaM

Pregnant mom of 2
Reaction score
So I've tried several different types of food with my little man, who's now just shy of 7months old. He doesn't want to eat anything!!!! I'm starting to get a little concerned. Is formula really enough for him at this age, because he just clamps his mouth shut when the spoon is coming. The little bit I do get in, he spits right out. He did better with it about a month ago, but now refuses everything altogether.

Advice???

Granted Hayden was breastfeeding BUT he did the same thing, we started trying at 6mo...he didn't eat seriously until 9mo. He had really maybe 10 bites between 6-9mo, he just HATED solids. He was completely fine, our dr said there was no problem, not to push it, just keep offering every few days so he doesn't get too frustrated and he will eventually take to it, and he did :)

First of all - don't panic he will be just fine with formula for some time yet. Some babies take longer to get the hang of solids than others. My LO wasn't really interested in food until about 7-8 months, its was just like he woke up one day and decided that this food thing was OK after all. What have you been offering him, have you considered baby led weaning approach? I have a friend with a LO coming up to 1 year old who has only just really started eating solids and he's bee doing just fine on formula!
Best advice would be, keep trying every couple of days and if he isn't interested give it a rest for a few days and then try again. Sit him in his high chair whilst you are eating and give him a spoon or some food to play with just so he gets the idea - even now my LO won't eat anything new until he has investigated it thoroughly with his hands - spent 10 mins pointing at some broccoli tonight! I spent many a meal time pulling my hair out wondering why he wouldn't eat - try and keep as calm as you can even if he just throws everything on the floor - its all new to him and he doesn't really associate food with making his hunger go away - that's what his milk is for as far as he is concerned. Try feeding him when he isn't really really hungry. Hope that helps.

So far, I've given him cereals, pear, apple, strawberry, apricot, sweet potato, squash, peas, and carrots. He also had a baby biscuit, which upset his tummy, but he will eat baby mum mum's (dissolving rice crackers that make a gummy mess everywhere!), which he feeds himself although I doubt much actually goes in him.

Perhaps I should consider BLW, as he's a very hands-on kind of guy. We always wrestle over control of the spoon, so I give him his own to hold and try to sneak in food while he's shoving that in his mouth. I don't know much about BLW, but I'll read up on it!

Thanks ladies for easing my worries! I'm glad to hear that he will thrive on formula alone at the moment! Also good to hear I can give it a rest, as it's frustrating me a lot, and probably him too!

Thomas has just turned 10 months and its only really in the last few weeks that we have got on to 3 meals a day! He wasn't really interested in ANYTHING until 8 months so don't worry. I was obviously rather concerned but thankfully things are getting better now. They will eat when they are ready :o)

OH!! Thank bliss for this thread!!! I was gonna post one just like! Granted, Linds is only just turning 6 months but she wont eat ANYTHING!!!! She gags on everything, spits what she can out, has been actually sick twice and just generally is making mummy freak out :(
Guess Ill just try and wait it out for a while! She's in daycare 'til saturday now again, so Ill leave those few days and try again on the wkd now...
:hugs: to all frustrated mummies!!!
xx

Aaron didn't start eating until about 10 months old, he was fine on just breastmilk until then. We did BLW, mainly for medical reasons but as it happens he hated being spoon fed anyway.

Just keep on offering food, he WILL start eating sooner or later and he'll be fine on milk until then. I would definately consider BLW, some babies just don't take to purees and spoons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->