Dogs and Babies

Rhapsodi

Reaction score
What did you do to get your dogs ready for baby's arrival?

I have 2 boxer/beagles. They are 4yrs old and from the same litter. When my older two boys came to live with us the dogs adjusted well, but we had weekend visits for a month before they officially moved in with us, AND they were 5 & 7.

One dog is very nervous dog. He howls when he gets scared (which is to almost everything). He is scared the most of men (besides DH), balloons, nerd guns, r/c cars, high pitch beeping and barks/howls at any car that drives past our house (which isn't all the time, but frequent right now between hunting and harvesting time). They are also our doorbell for anyone coming to the door.

Our other dog is very clingy to me. It's gotten worse the past couple weeks. I think she knows a big change is coming. She will get scared when our other dog gets scared. She is even more terrified of many things and the only way to calm her is to hold her until she stops shaking. She is a jumper too (which is due to DH letting them jump, he's been lectured many times, hopefully he finally gets the clue!)

So far we have set out the bassinet, baby swing, and cradle so they can get use to them being out. Occassionally I'll take the car seat out or let the dogs go into the baby's room to get use to things. I'm worried most about baby crying and scaring the dogs or the dogs barking/howling and scaring the baby. (Hopefully all their barking while baby has been inside has helped baby get use to it, although sometimes it will startle baby.)

Any advice? I'm due on Monday. So a little late now but I'm hoping to still ease the transition a little. Especially if I'm in the hospital for a few days, the dogs (especially "my" dog) will go crazy. I'm thinking I'll have to go in first. Then DH bring in baby after the dogs have calmed. Or stick the dogs outside, get baby settled and then see the dogs and introduce baby.

We had items out well in advance so the animals were used to them, especially the smell.

we also played the sounds of a baby crying, randomly during the day, to get them used to the noise.

When i came home from the hospital, I made a fuss of the animals whilst hubby got the baby settled, and we never shouted at them to get away from the baby. they were allowed to investigate, but were obviously supervised.

we also have a crate for the dog that is her space and she can go to if she wants to get away.

the only problem we have with them is now daughter is on normal food, she shares it with the dog!

I'm curious to see others input as well.

Our dog is nearly 8, during pregnancy he's definitely had behavior changes. When I'm very hormonal with feeling sick and crying a lot he gets super anxious. He has moments where he starts to panic and will shake so I'll butter him up until he calms. He's starting to get upset now though because I'm supposed to be "resting" and it's hard to take him on our longer walks like I used to.

I don't scold him for going into baby's room, but I don't let him get playful in there. Although baby's room has become the cats domain, she loves being under the dresser or crib or snoozing in the closet. The car seat I have sitting on the floor and our dog has had his fill of sniffing it.

Still haven't figured out the coming home with baby yet... our dog gets flipping excited if you leave him alone 5 minutes and come back:haha: I may ask a friend or one of my in laws to take him out to the park on a long walk while we get baby settled into our home then when he comes back love him up and introduce baby.

We don't have a crate or beds for them as they tear them up faster than we buy them. So they sleep on our bed at night (another issue) and have the couch too.

If we don't have company they could go to the extra room upstairs where they have their own bed and window to look outside.

The food issue will never stop, although for us that could be because my husband encourages it.

What about barking? Any tips with that? We do use a spray bottle to stop barking (both are terrified of water). Hmmm maybe Iif they bark I could play a baby crying and spray them?

I suppose some of this will just be what we deal with being parents to both dog and baby...

We didn't have a crate until my daughter was about 12 months as Piper would also sleep with us (we never stopped that). She's now over time started sleeping in her crate rather than with us. She's never locked in the crate though.

I must admit, we have never used water etc as a punishment. When Piper is naughty we try to distract (admittedly she has still been told off when naughty), but when Emilia was crying she would just take herself out of the room.

We plan to bring the scent of the baby home before actually bringing the baby home. Hubby will probably come home at least once to check on the house, and get Beau (our dog) acquainted to the smell of a onesie or a blanket the baby has already touched. This was actually suggested to us by a client of ours. Beau loves babies, so we are not worried at all about his temperament or mood. He will probably become extra needy though lol!

That's an excellent idea for baby smell. Our birth center releases us 6 hours after birth as long as all goes well so we wont be able to introduce our dog to baby's smell ahead a time like that. But maybe we could introduce him to the smell of baby's blanket after we get home while baby's in the crib and distract dog out in a different room with all the smelly baby items lol

Maybe have OH bring a blanket of babys before you come home from the hospital so the dogs can get used to the smell?

My miniature pincher barks at everything lol surprisingly, it's never bothered my LO. It's almost as if it's something she got used to. Could you possibly find a trainer that could help with your nervous dog?

Love the scent idea! I'll definitely do that.
We have seen a trainer for his nervousness but never had much progress as it's SO many things. He doesn't snap atleast anymore (that use to happen if he was scared when sleeping). Instead he howls, barks, chews on his paw, and shakes instead. I know baby will be safe with the dogs (minus some jumping but we will work on that).

I know the dogs will struggle the most. Lots of new stress.

Maybe between the scent and sound of baby crying they will adjust quicker.

Their barking though, I hope doesn't bother baby too much. One has a deep low bark and the other is just annoying beagle bark (she will bark in any position, even the trainer was shocked she will park laying down!)

I'm late to this party, but was stalking through the threads.

My LO was never bothered by our dog's barking. My OB said it was likely due to her hearing the barking from the womb. She doesn't bark non-stop, but when we had floods of visitors to see baby, I always worried it would upset her and it never did.

We did bring in a dog trainer to help us work through some things beforehand. However since you're due now, maybe a trainer to come in afterward can help with the adjustment period/whatever quirks may arise?

Sending home a blanket or comparable that the baby's been swaddled in had been suggested to us, so we did that. This time, we only have a few hours before coming home so we won't be able to do that. Then we had my husband come in, greet the dog, then he went to the car with the baby while I went in and did the same. Once she was a little settled over knowing we were home, we brought the baby inside in the carseat. We held the dog (she's a small dog) and let her sniff while baby slept. Then we put baby down to sleep and came out, cuddled and played with the dog for awhile. Once she seemed content, we brought baby out and held her while sitting in the living room with the dog also. We took things one step at a time, but it worked out well. We just had to take time, and use some patience, with her adjustment process. Instinct kicked in easily with ours and despite being a slightly nervous dog by nature, she was very protective from day one over strangers being around the baby. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->