Domperidone HELP!! Low supply issues.

MoBaby

Mommy to a precious son
Reaction score
Hey all-

I have been diagnosed officially with low supply issues after LO was only transferring 2oz of milk total after a feeding at 9 weeks. Prior to this I had suspected low supply so the LC had me taking fenugreek and blessed thistle which did nothing (started around week 5-6). I was pumping after several feeds daily. I began taking Reglan at 8 weeks or so and this did not increase my supply even after taking the max dose for almost 3 weeks :( Since reglan cant be taken long term and has nasty side effects I stopped. I was able to continue nursing exclusively until he was 10 weeks (13 weeks today) then had to start supplementing due to him being very fussy, nursing more frequently than usual, no dirty diapers and wet diapers slowing down.

I started Domperidone 10 mg taking 3 pills 3 times per day 12 days ago. A few days ago I started taking that dose 4 times per day. But I have not seen an increase in my supply! I have been EPing for 2 weeks since returning back to work and LO having horrible palate issue that cause him to not latch properly or suck properly (which is the root cause of my low supply. His lack of proper suckling wasn't signaling my body to make more milk despite nursing for up to an hour).

He takes 35 oz per day and I produce 17-20 oz on average so he is now getting the rest in organic formula as I only had 40 oz in the freezer. I've tried to put him back to the breast but he now sucks my nipple like a bottle which transfers nothing.

I really wanted the domperidone to work but after 12 days I have not seen any increase. Some days when I get 20 oz I think its going up but then the next day its back to 17-18oz. Do I need more time? Is it over trying to increase my supply? I pump 6 times per day (down from 7-8): 5am, 8-9am, 12 pm, 3pm, 7pm, 10pm. I cannot do more during the hours of 8am-5pm since I work and have to drop LO off at school, etc. I get 6-7oz at my 5am pumping session but then only 2-3 oz every session after that. Its been frustrating because I have tried so many things to help but I havent been able to increase my supply :(

I'm sure you've read it before, but have you tried oatmeal or Gatorade? I haven't consistently eaten oatmeal because I haven't been having any supply issues, but I definitely see a decrease in what I can pump when I haven't had Gatorade the day before. I know it sounds weird, but it would be worth a shot!

I get the same amounts you do during a pump session. I think a pump actually any pump cant be as effective as an infant. But sounds like your doing all you can and your little one is having some breast milk which is awesome. I have a time issue with pumping at work so i know the struggle. Good luck lady

I was put onto domperidone due to low supply too, the same dose as you. At the time I was breastfeeding, then expressing & feeding the ebm and finally topping up with formula. It was a nightmare & I hated it! I never saw an increase in the amount of ebm I could produce but I did notice my lo wanted less formula. So we cut the formula top ups out. Then I tried feeding exclusively from the breast and he just became more content :) but I was lucky because he never had any nipple confusion or anything. Good luck. Stick with it a while longer xxxxxx

I've done oatmeal... Never Gatorade but I'm not sure how that would help considering it's sugar and electrolytes? I'll drink some today and see. I'm staying hydrated for sure..

Trying to stay with it but it's hard! I pumped 4 times yesterday and got just as much so I may just start doing that and wean off dom since no change. I did read it can take a month for effect but I don't think I can go two more weeks at 6x day waiting for it. But seeing one bottle of bm makes this worth it so I have to remember that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->