dont know when to start weaning

daisyday

Reaction score
I have a 12 week old son. I dont feel he is ready for weaning yet and i dont really want to rush.

He is very long and weighs quite heavy for his age. At 10 weeks he was weighing 15.2lb's. He isnt over weight for his length he is just a long baby.

I was wondering if high weight, or larger than average babies tend to need weaning earlyer than the reccomended 6 months and if anyone else has a high weight baby and what they did with weaning.

Don't wean untill you want to! Having a long, heavy baby does not necessarily mean you need to wean early. He will let you know when he needs food.

What has made you think you'll need to wean him early?

well he is finishing off 5 7-8oz bottles everyday already, and he was feeding every 4 hours but has started to want them every 3 hours now.

I dont think i need to wean him yet but was thinking that he seems to be getting more hungry.

They say that weaning should start when they are polishing off full bottles and are still hungry.
Or if they aren't gaining weight from formula/breastmilk anymore - which was my daughter's case and I started weaning on the recommendation of her pedi.

If he's 12 weeks he may well be hitting the three month growth spurt. Just let him eat when he wants and see if it settles down within a few weeks.

I would not wean him yet. He is probably going through a growth spurt.

i really dont think its a growth spurt. He was having 5-6 oz at 7 weeks. He's just very hungry lol.

the amount he has is right for his weight but he is the reccomended weight and height of a 5 month old. So he is much larger than average.

Renah's larger than average too. I started her on cereal at 12 weeks and now I'm giving her one veggie. I still feel like I'm not feeding her enough but I'm waiting to see what her doc says

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->