Don't mean to sound petty, but...

MissingBubs

Reaction score
A close friend of mine and her Husband are having their 1st baby. :happydance: They have told us their name choices and one of them is a name that we chose when I was pg (mmc).
I know we have no copyrights or anything, but we discussed this name with the couple in question and also told them how important it was to us as it's my nan's name.
Can we still go with the name when it's our turn? We don't see them every day or anything, probably once or twice a month.
The thought of not being able to use the name really hurts.
I know how childish this sounds. They have two names for each gender, we may not have a girl, we don't ttc for over a year. But, this won't change for me. It's a tribute to my Nan and a beautiful name and we deserve it (stamps feet!!) :growlmad: :haha:

id still go with it after all it was yours first....maybe in a years time you may have another name and use it as the middle name?
id be annoyed too,esp if they knew u liked the name and what it ment to you!

I'd still use it. Who knows whether you'll stay in contact with those friends in 10 years time, but your daughter will have her name for the rest of her life. I think it's rather rude of them to steal your name. But you said they had two choices? Maybe you should tell them now that you're still going to use it whatever they do? Might make them go with their other option?

Difficulty is that there second choice is my OH's stillborn daughters name (which they also knew), but I don't expect them to pussyfoot around names that they love for us.
I'm not annoyed, just love the name so much. My Nan will be amazed too.
Don't want to lose all that.
I think we'll just have to tell them we are going for it. I abreviate (sp) names all the time anyway so our daughter would get almost a nickname on a day to day basis anyway.

Thanks ladies. Can always count on you for a bit of grounding and advice.

Argh! Thats awful. This is why I will never tell anyone my name choices.

Just call your LO that anyway. Dont let them stop you. Especially as it is so important to you. xx

I found it really hard choosing a name for my puppy cause I didnt want to use any of my baby names!! Anyone else had this problem?

xxx

I have a girls name that I really wanted to use if we ever have a girl, because it's a family name. But OH sister had a baby in January and used a shortened version of that name, so it does make me think twice about using it (in the event we ever have a girl).

But I don't think your friend using it should put you off. It's important to you then use it.

I know exactly how you're feeling! When my hubby went to Afghan in 2008 i was pregnant alongside his friends wife (his friend was also in Afghan). We chose a certain name for a girl but sadly i lost my baby at 16 weeks, she then went on to name her baby the very same name (including middle name!). I was furious, we had hundreds of conversations about it and she knew that was the name we had chosen. I think it is very insensitive but you should def still use the name. We didn't because the name we'd chosen made me think too much of our lost baby and because it made me cross to even think about it but you really really should, in honour of your nanna xxxx

I know exactly how you're feeling! When my hubby went to Afghan in 2008 i was pregnant alongside his friends wife (his friend was also in Afghan). We chose a certain name for a girl but sadly i lost my baby at 16 weeks, she then went on to name her baby the very same name (including middle name!). I was furious, we had hundreds of conversations about it and she knew that was the name we had chosen. I think it is very insensitive but you should def still use the name. We didn't because the name we'd chosen made me think too much of our lost baby and because it made me cross to even think about it but you really really should, in honour of your nanna xxxx

Oh hun, thats awful. I'm very sorry for your loss.
I'm definately still going with it. My OH has already said we should still use it. I just felt weird about it, but you lovely ladies have cleared any doubt.
I should trust the OH's judgement a bit more! :blush:

By the way ARMYWIFE, Poppy is beautiful. You must be very proud. x

awww hun just go with you name, i think thats why its good not to tell others, My SIL and me have a few names that are the same, special reasons for using each but I am sure she will use one just to spite me ... in furture I will only share names with people i trust. lol!

Good luck hun, dont let it get you down. You should just use the name x

agree with the others I would still use it, most people know our choice of baby names I would be upset if they used but I would still go ahead and use that name :)

Thank you! I waited so long for her and had multiple mc's and many near misses whilst carrying her then she was poorly at birth so i still can't believe i finally have her safe with me! I love her so much and she is worth every last moment of heartache.

I'm glad you are still going to use the name, your oh sounds wonderful. If you need to chat pm anytime :hugs: xxx

Thank you! I waited so long for her and had multiple mc's and many near misses whilst carrying her then she was poorly at birth so i still can't believe i finally have her safe with me! I love her so much and she is worth every last moment of heartache.

I'm glad you are still going to use the name, your oh sounds wonderful. If you need to chat pm anytime :hugs: xxx

He is wonderful, I'm very lucky to have him. He's my absolute rock and my best friend in the world (ohhhh, I was welling up there!).

Thank goodness she got here safe and sound in the end. Sorry for all your bad experiences. People tell me that when we have our baby it will be so much more special because of the things we have experienced and I suppose you and Poppy are living, breathing testiment to that.

Thank you for the PM offer. No doubt I will stalk you and hunt you down at some point in the near future!
Take care. :hugs:

Of course you can still use it hon. They might change their minds anyway especially if you say your going to use it as well. It sounds horrible but you may not be friends with this couple after a few years and you might regret not using it. It happened to a friend of mine. She used the name of her friends child and it's fine. It's not like you live with each other or anything so go for it and enjoy using it. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->