Don't you hate coming to the end of a good book?...

rwhite

Mum to Lachie and Clem
Reaction score
What's even worse, is I've just completed the last in a series (NO not Twilight :haha: Don't get me started..) of 5 books and I feel, sad to say, heartbroken that it's all over and done with. I know I can reread, but it won't be the same as the initial reading.

Anybody else in the same situation? And does anybody have any good suggestions for a good read? xx :kiss:

The series I have just finished reading, if anybody was curious, is the Flowers in the Attic series by Virginia Andrews.

Absolutely! I feel i have to stop myself from just reading and reading because I know it's soon gonna come to an end, so i have to only allow myself a chapter or two at a time, so i can savour it. I was definately like that with The Time Travelers Wife and The Book Thief, two of the best books i've ever read. Have you read anything by Kate Mosse? I have two of her books: Sepulchre and Labyrinth. I've read Sepulchre which blew me away and am working my way round to Labyrinth (i have a stack of books that I can't wait to read). For a series of books, have you ever read any of the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich? They're absolutely fantastic! She's a female Private Investigator in New Jersey and every book is hilarious, unbelievably funny! There have been 15 books so far and you can read them over and over again, they're that good. :D :D xx

its like losing a part of you, a best friend its depressing :( i feel the same way about tv series i watch in bulk

I get the same. The Flowers in The Attic saga are fantastic, made me cry x

Have you read anything by Kate Mosse? I have two of her books: Sepulchre and Labyrinth. I've read Sepulchre which blew me away and am working my way round to Labyrinth (i have a stack of books that I can't wait to read). For a series of books, have you ever read any of the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich? They're absolutely fantastic! She's a female Private Investigator in New Jersey and every book is hilarious, unbelievably funny! There have been 15 books so far and you can read them over and over again, they're that good. :D :D xx
Ooh thanks for the suggestions :thumbup: I haven't read any of them, but I'll put them on a list for the next time I go to the library xx

its like losing a part of you, a best friend its depressing :( i feel the same way about tv series i watch in bulk
Argh, definitely agree! I have a favourite tv series (though nobody on here will have heard of it because it's made in NZ :haha:) and I heard that they're only making one more season. What will I do?! :(

I get the same. The Flowers in The Attic saga are fantastic, made me cry x
:cry: Me too! They're hard to put down, eh! I had tears streaming down my face reading the last chapter of Seeds of Yesterday :( It was good though, I'm odd and love books that will make me cry. My Sister's Keeper was good for that. Haven't seen the movie though, I'm scared it won't do the book justice..

I cried at My Sisters Keeper to. I havent seen the film yet either and my reasons are the same as yours. I think ill be left dissapointed, it was a very well written story and bits would have been cut for the film. Id like to not have the story ruined for me, if the films not to good iykwim x

I hate it lol

I am currently reading the Jack reacher series from Lee Child and need to go buy the next one (waiting till after xmas tho as someone might have bought it for me already :D)
everyone time i finish one i hope its not the last lol!

Dave

I cried at My Sisters Keeper to. I havent seen the film yet either and my reasons are the same as yours. I think ill be left dissapointed, it was a very well written story and bits would have been cut for the film. Id like to not have the story ruined for me, if the films not to good iykwim x

It was a lovely book :thumbup: I've heard that The Lovely Bones was a great book, but they've changed it very much by adapting it into a movie, so I think I'll be reading the book first!

Definitely know what you mean about not wanting to have it ruined. I don't know if I can bring myself to watch it :haha:

It was a lovely book :thumbup: I've heard that The Lovely Bones was a great book, but they've changed it very much by adapting it into a movie, so I think I'll be reading the book first!

Definitely know what you mean about not wanting to have it ruined. I don't know if I can bring myself to watch it :haha:

The Lovely Bones is amazing!! I cried virtually all the way through it, it was breathtaking. I've heard that the film is gonna be really good too and will definately do it justice. It's Peter Jackson (LOTR, King Kong) directing it and apparently he's not ruined the book at all with the adaptation. Unlike The Time Travelers Wife which I wish i'd never seen, having read the book. They sabotaged it! :growlmad: xx

I def agree with the depression at the end of a book, the end of DVD box set is the same-I just want to go straight onto the next without the wait!! I guess that is the whole point of a good author/writer. As for a series of books- I love anything by Sophie Kinsella, she is very light hearted, very funny and witty-always find myself smiling! She wrote the confessions of a shopaholic series (first one was made into a film that didn't do the book justice) and on a pregnancy theme she has wrote one called shopaholic and baby-great book!!!

I have a Jodi Picoult book lined up! Are they any good?

And I know EXACTLY how you feel! I'm watching the last season of this TV show I've been addicted to since 2005...what am I going to do without it?!?!:cry:

Jodi Picoult is a good read. Not too junky, decently-written. I find that she has a bit of a formula, but she is always choosing really interesting issues as the central themes for her novels. My Sister's Keeper was quite thought-provoking from that angle. For those of you who haven't read it, the premise was that a couple had a genetically-engineered baby to supply donor material for their other daughter who had childhood leukemia. Very interesting way to examine the ethics. And pretty interesting to think about as parents. What would each of us do if we were in that situation, you know?
It's not the deepest literature, but it's pretty good food for thought, and the writing is solid enough that you aren't cringeing or anything.

Other good authors for mysteries: Laurie King's Mary Russell series, the Sookie Stackhouse novels (for much lighter fare - they are pretty darn close to pulp fiction, but the narrative voice saves them, I think), and the classic Daphne DuMaurier novels.

Just wonderful reads in general, anything by Sarah Waters, Life of Pi by Yann Martel (I'm re-reading it again as I'm teaching about it in a class and it's is even better the second time around), Jane Austen novels!!! love those.
And I am waiting to read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. That's supposed to be excellent.

I haven't seen the movie version of the Time Traveler's Wife. I wondered how they were going to film that. It's a pretty complicated plot.

Jodi Picoult sounds good! I also love the classic stuff such as Charles Dickens and Arthur Conan Doyle! Just thought of them, lol. But the Sherlock Holmes stories only take like an hour to road and theres loads of them, so theres always one I haven't read:haha:

When book 7 of Harry Potter came out I read the whole series consecutively over maybe 2 weeks and I was so in the world that I dreamt about it. When I finished the last book I literally felt like mourning!

Different type of books but I've just finished the dexter books? Also cried my heart out at my sisters keeper and Marley and me! Book by far better than the film! X

I have just finished reading the twilight series , and i just want more and more. Ive had to re read them to get what i had back reading the books!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->