Doula like me...

Lollycake

Reaction score
Hi, hope you don't mind me coming in to ask...
Basically, I've been reading about becoming a doula and I really really want to do it. I had a really positive birth, and when all my friends/nct group talk about how horrible theirs were I feel quite sad for them. I want to help other women have as good an experience as they can and be in control of their own labour. I dunno if this is a good enough reason to become a doula...
Anyway, am a bit concerned I would struggle to get work, I've only had one baby and am in my early 20s so perhaps have a lack of 'experience'. Any doulas that are similar to me that can offer advice? Or any pregnant women who wouldn't hire me (for the one baby/age reason)? Thanks in advance :flower:

I don't know about others, but for me, age/number of children wouldn't matter, but more experience (number of births attended, etc.). But that's obviously something every doula has to deal with when they are just starting out. I think if you train with the right people and start attending births while in training and get a wide variety of experience under your belt, it shouldn't be an issue. To be honest, I'd prefer someone younger (as in closer to my own age, which is 31, so not young), but I've found in my search that a lot of doulas are more in their 40s. So you might actually really appeal to women in their 20s or even late teens who want someone who they see as being like them. My friend started training as a doula in her 20s and only has one daughter (and isn't planning to have more at this point). She said it's tough starting out because it's like starting any other business and you don't charge as much for the same amount of work to begin with, but it's the most rewarding thing she's ever done.

I think your personality is the most important, your outlook on birth and your willingness to support what the mother wants.

I'm not too worried about experience myself, my doula has only attended 3 home births (around 60 hospital/birthing centres, as HB is very uncommon out here) but I know she is very supportive of all my philosophies and is a kind, warm person. So that's most important to me. My midwife's medical experience is more important to me as I may get a repeat dystocia but doula, not so much.

I agree with PP, being younger might be to your advantage - you hear over and over again from the young girls here who feel "looked down on" or patronized due to their age (I'm 28 so don't experience this but I can imagine it is not uncommon - my doula is 40 but was 18 when she had her 1st and said this happened to her in the hospital birth). I think they may feel that you are more likely to understand them, being a young mom yourself, and that's probably true too.

I'm a mentored doula with Doula UK.....and I haven't had a baby yet!

Your age and experience really doesn't mean anything if you click with your clients - your personal birth philosophy and the support you can offer them is far more important.

Getting started is a slow process - and you certainly won't become rich by being a doula :haha: Depending on your area, you may find clients more easily, but it really just depends. But it is a wonderful, wonderful job, and the doula community in the UK is great to be a part of, so I would say, do your research, find a course that 'speaks' to you, and get your name down!

xxx

Thanks for your replies. Feeling a bit more hopeful about being able to find work! I hadn't considered the fact my age might actually be an positive thing for certain women :)

Your age and experience really doesn't mean anything if you click with your clients - your personal birth philosophy and the support you can offer them is far more important.

Getting started is a slow process - and you certainly won't become rich by being a doula :haha: Depending on your area, you may find clients more easily, but it really just depends. But it is a wonderful, wonderful job, and the doula community in the UK is great to be a part of, so I would say, do your research, find a course that 'speaks' to you, and get your name down!

xxx

Oh, awesome! Have you attended many births yet?
I'm fine with the slow process, my LO is only 4 months so wouldn't want a lot of work very soon. I have a nuturing birth course close to me that I've been considering.
I'm struggling to find a lot of info, but is the process basically; do a course, be mentored for (3??) births and a certain number of postnatal hours and then that's it? Is there any kind of assessment at the end of the mentored part? x

xxx

Oh, awesome! Have you attended many births yet?
I'm fine with the slow process, my LO is only 4 months so wouldn't want a lot of work very soon. I have a nuturing birth course close to me that I've been considering.
I'm struggling to find a lot of info, but is the process basically; do a course, be mentored for (3??) births and a certain number of postnatal hours and then that's it? Is there any kind of assessment at the end of the mentored part? x

None yet, I've only just started advertising my services after registering with Doula UK, and the couple of enquiries I have had have been for around my due date.

Once I had completed my course, I was able to join Doula UK. You then have to find a doula mentor (they are listed on Doula UK, and you usually try to find one in your general area) before you can be shown on the Doula UK as a mentored doula. You have to attend 4 births and be assessed by your mentor on each of these, before she will sign you off and you become a recognised birth doula, and the same again for postnatal. You can also do one without the other - some doulas are birth doulas only, and some only do postnatal work :thumbup: This would all be discussed on your course :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->