dried stuff on nipples?

Mrs Dragonfly

Raising our toddler
Reaction score
I have weird crusty stuff on my nipples and have had it for quite a while. My midwife said it's dried colostrum. I've been putting nipple balms daily and rub gently in the shower to get off any loose bits without terribly irritating the nipples. Will this cause problems with breast feeding and how do I make the crusty stuff go away? I see my midwife on Tuesday so I'll be asking her to take another look but from when she saw them a few weeks ago and said they looked fine. :shrug:

I get it too. Shouldn't cause bf'ing issues. I'm not sure there's a way to get rid of it since its dried colostrum from it leaking out. I just tend to use my fingernail to scratch off the irritating bits. When u start feeding baby, it will go away. Won't get a chance to harden.

I get that as well.
I usually rub that lanolin stuff on my nipples every other night and it helps to soften it up and fall off.
That totally sounds disgusting. :nope:

I get it too. Shouldn't cause bf'ing issues. I'm not sure there's a way to get rid of it since its dried colostrum from it leaking out. I just tend to use my fingernail to scratch off the irritating bits. When u start feeding baby, it will go away. Won't get a chance to harden.

That's a relief to know it shouldn't cause issue. I can't use my nail to scratch it off, it's too sensitive :(

I get that as well.
I usually rub that lanolin stuff on my nipples every other night and it helps to soften it up and fall off.
That totally sounds disgusting. :nope:

I haven't tried lanolin, but I've been using this mother love nipple balm or something like that - I'm too cozy under a blanket to go look for it lol. It softens it up and makes it easier to come off, but I can't pull or scrub it very much.

Lol it really does sound disgusting, Nina. Looking forward to feeding baby so it wont be crusty anymore!

me too! I've been picking it out though and it seems to have gone a bit now. My nipples look more pink and ready to feed. I think it's just your boobs getting ready for the big event :)

Happy that it's them getting ready! Maybe I'm just a wuss in not picking it off like some of you ladies but wow it hurts! My nipples have been super sensitive from the start, barely touching them feels like electricity shocking me or something. No matter how painful breast feeding is I still plan to do it, but messing with them myself isn't something I willingly do when it hurts lol!

I've had this since about 13 weeks. Once a piece even hardened while not all the way outside of the nipple, man that hurt! Warm water seems to help wipe it off, but there's really nothing you can do to prevent it, just part of the baby making process.

Happy that it's them getting ready! Maybe I'm just a wuss in not picking it off like some of you ladies but wow it hurts! My nipples have been super sensitive from the start, barely touching them feels like electricity shocking me or something. No matter how painful breast feeding is I still plan to do it, but messing with them myself isn't something I willingly do when it hurts lol!
You're not a wuss, lol. My boobs have been sore, but my nipples haven't been too bad. They get super itchy when that stuff gets dried on them. Sometimes I feel like I need to take a brush to them. 😁

I got this too! I would always scratch it off then it would be back again a few hours later. I guess its dried colostrum:/

I get this and I'm only 17 weeks. Wearing breast pads helps it during the day. If I wake up with it I use lathered up soap in the hot shower and it comes off pretty easy. If you're not down for a shower like the other ladies have said, lanolin or lotion work enough to get the crust bits off :)

I've started using wash cloths in the shower, still super tender but it gets most of it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->