Driving after a c section

Dinah93

Happy mum to two preemies
Reaction score
I've heard people say 6 weeks - is this medical advice or just how long on average it takes to feel up to it? I've been very active since my c section as I need to walk quite a way to see my baby in the nicu, I'm being discharged probably tomorrow so I'll need to come back daily, another 5 weeks seems like a really long time until I can drive again.

The recommendation is 6 weeks. However everyone is different. Ill be honest I drive after 2 weeks as I felt ok to. They said to me drive when you feel ready to. They said practice doing an emergency stop and if it hurts your not ready. One thing to bare in mind though is if you had an accident. I'm sure I read on here someone had an accident and ruptured their wound. They said the pain was unbelievable. I rang the insurance company too and they said no specific guidelines just go off docs advice x

I think they usually state 6 weeks because that's when you have your follow up appointment with Dr. I saw the Dr after 3 weeks for mastitis and I asked him while I was there if I could drive and he said as long as I felt happy manoeuvring the car without any pain, then it was fine. I also rang my car insurers to check with them and it was fine.

I believe it's due to insurance purposes. The main thing you need to do is check with them, last time mine told me that as long as a doctor had said it was ok then it was ok with them

The insurance company also told me that its fine whenever the doctor clears you - make sure the doctor writes it on your health records. My surgery gives a minimum 4 week restriction before they will examine patients. I was cleared to drive 4 weeks and 3 days after having her and it was like getting my freedom back!

Everything I was told and read recommended that you wait 4-6 weeks and until you were able to do an emergency stop. I started driving after 4 weeks as I felt physically comfortable in doing so and could no longer stand being so restricted in getting out and about. One thing I made sure was that someone else carried LO in his car seat until 6 weeks, or I left the car seat in the car and carried LO to and from it or used his push chair, so that I didn't over do it carrying anything to heavy. Also my doctor didn't mention it at my 6 week check.

I'm fairly sure I was driving at about 4 wks post section.

hi i had my section two days ago and i drove today to supermarket.it was fine just make sure u can hit the brake in emergency!

I had to get the doctor to ok it as my insurance company wouldnt cover me.
Once i had the nod from dr. I was driving with ease at two weeks

I'm not sure what doctor recommendation was, but I was driving the day after I left the hospital. 4 days after?

Another thing to consider is the pain medication you are on. Some pain medication comes with "no driving" instructions. I chose not to take pain medication so this wasn't a concern for me.

I drove 4 weeks after my section...but checked with my insurance company beforehand (they actually didn't care, but I thought that i'd better do it).

Check with your insurance company. Some do have clause in place regarding driving after major surgery and require an OK from the Dr. Without this you may not be covered in the event of an accident.

My consultant said 2 weeks as long as you can do an emergency stop!! the insurance co will go on clearance from the doctor

I was told two weeks and drove after two weeks however seat belt hurts! But i was also told not to drive if taking narcotics

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->