Dropping centile

SjandPeanut

Reaction score
My daughter was on 91st centile. She hadn't even weighed for a while and today she was 15lbs.

When they weighed they asked if I wanted to see the HV and I said not unless there is an issue. They weighed her and said '15lbs that's fine no problems at all'

When I got home I noticed that she is now in between the 91st and 75th. Should I be worried?

I weighed her at home myself last week and she weighed 15lbs . I know my scales won't be the same, but it looks like she hasn't gained any weight.

Could there be a problem with my supply? I've recently cut out a fair amount of junk food but my calories are still around 1800 a day.

I'm really worried that I'll have to start supplementing as I wanted to breastfeed for at least a year.

My daughter dropped from the 50th to the 25th. I didn't worry because she was alert and still doing lots of dirty nappies. A lot of babies lose the roly poly shape they were born with. As long as she is gaining/staying steady it's fine - honestly :) She was 15lbs at her 6mos weigh in so your DD is heavier than mine was at that age lol x

Btw, weight gain comes in stops and starts. Some weeks she would gain half a pound and some just a few ounces. Depends on her development etc x

Please read the accompanying notes in the red book. It states that it's highly unusual for babies to stay on the same centile line throughout the first year, instead most babies track one centile space (in between two centile lines) and may fall slightly below or above the line at some point too. It's only a problem if a baby falls more than two centile spaces (so three centile lines) and stays down though for some babies this may be completely normal too! None of mine have ever stayed on their birth centile throughout the first year, but in toddlerhood they usually went back up again. Your home scales will not be accurate and even if they were as the previous poster said babies gain in fits and starts, it's not unusual for their weight gain to stay static and even to lose an oz or two then gain 4oz in a day, some of their weight just like ours as adults is fluid and therefore does fluctuate xx

Also their weight gain does slow significantly at around this age, the new charts reflect this so you may find if she continues to gain more than 3-4oz a week she starts climbing the centiles. My youngest started off between 75th and 91st, took over 2 weeks to regain his birthweight and dropped to just below the 50th, at one point he went to halfway between the 25th and 50th then well above the 50th as at about five months he started gaining up to 9oz a week even though he was still EBF. After starting solids and being more mobile he is now either on or just a fraction above the 50th, but because he's on the 9th centile in length and his head is on the 91st everyone keeps describing him as 'chunky' and 'robust'. He was completely EBF until 6 months not even medicine or anything, never felt the need to supplement with anything as that is his optimum growth pattern. The babies who were weighed for the WHO data, their weights were recorded on a scatter diagram and it's likely most of them did not follow one specific centile xx

My son dropped from 50th to the 4th and I was told to wean early by peadiatrition T hospital he was 5 month then, he is 1 now and still bf :)
I was told by Hv to make sure I feed at around 2 am as this would help build up supply :1)

I agree with the other ladies. My dd started out at 75th and was to 50th at around 5 months. She's lost a lot of that baby chub from her first 3 months but they say her weights perfect so I'm not worried at all about that change. She's EBF.

Thanks everyone.

I've always fed on demand, and she feeds a lot during the day and every 3 hrs ( at least) at night so there shouldn't be a problem.

I guess because she has been waking and feeding a lot more at night recently so I've been doubting my boobs!

x x

i'd think she's doing fine.
my youngest was born on the 75th centile. by 2 months, she was down to between the 9th & 25th & has stayed there ever since.
she's 26 months now, perfectly healthy & happy :) she just wasn't meant to be as big as she was born!

Thanks everyone.

I've always fed on demand, and she feeds a lot during the day and every 3 hrs ( at least) at night so there shouldn't be a problem.

I guess because she has been waking and feeding a lot more at night recently so I've been doubting my boobs!

x x

Elodie did this during growth spurts and before she hit a milestone x

It's completely normal for them to start waking and feeding more at 4-5 months xx

It's completely normal for them to start waking and feeding more at 4-5 months xx

The crazy thing is I know this. My son was formula fed but woke at 1 and 5 am every night for a bottle until he was about 7 months. I'm just over thinking things because I keep hearing about people who fed until x y date when their baby got too hungry etc.

The crazy thing is I know this. My son was formula fed but woke at 1 and 5 am every night for a bottle until he was about 7 months. I'm just over thinking things because I keep hearing about people who fed until x y date when their baby got too hungry etc.

Trust in your body and baby. They are both amazing organisms - go with the flow and 99 times out of 100 things will be fine and there'll be enough milk x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->