drying out

ButterCup17

Reaction score
In our baby group today a mom said her lo is 4.5 months and she had been ebf, until last week she started drying out all the sudden and had to switch to formula. Why would this happen?? I'm stressing out now! Should I pump once a day now just to make sure I don't dry out??

That is quite unusual, I wouldn't worry though. I can't imagine what would cause her milk to dry up. Had she started solids? Was she already feeding some formula? Any medications (even cold medications)?

Not sure about medications, but she was not doing formula or solids. Good, so that's not common? It has been worrying me all day! I'm ebf and plan to for a year. When my ds nurses, he only does one breast so I alternate throughout the day. I get scared bc that means I can go like 8 hrs by the time I get to the other Breast again. Is that normal also?

I used to alternate breasts in the beginning, and when my supply got naturally a little lower, he needed both. I would continue to offer both and if he doesn't take it, don't be too worried.

My supply went down quite a bit before my period returned, so I think it's normal to have fluctuations, but for it to completely dwindle is pretty uncommon for a baby that feeds on demand.

Also, babies go through a growth spurt around 4 months and may start nursing like crazy. If you don't know what is happening, you could mistakenly think that your milk is drying up because LO is nursing so much, when in reality, they are just growing and want more milk. Nursing a lot tells your body to make MORE milk.

Unless you are taking some medications or something it's not really something i'd worry about. It seems a very odd to thing to happen. Tbh i would imagine it would be more like a growth spurt, where it seems like you aren't giving them any milk because they are hungry all the time. But you just keep feeding through it, will last few days, a week most. If you stick to feeding on demand i highly doubt your milk will dry up! Don't worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->