DS has CURED my Emetophobia!!!

sandilion

Reaction score
So all of my life since the age of 5 I have had a horrible fear of vomiting. It has ruled my life in some aspects, caused me a lot of suffering as I know fellow sufferers would relate too. Its just a horrible fear to have, as vomiting is a survival mechanism, so when we fear it and prevent it - it means we endure a whole lot more suffering.

BUT since having my DS I have grown to learn that vomiting is normal, it doesn't mean you're going to die.... reminded myself not to get worried when DS would vomit, and to stay calm and to tell him that he is going to be fine, he just needs to get it out... has led to me actually believing it myself!!!

I came down with a stomach bug the other day....and for the first time in my life i had absolutely no fear with vomiting. And while I was vomiting, sure i didn't like it... but i learned that it's not actually as bad as I always thought. In fact it was quite relieving... to finally get it all out of what was making me feel terrible ill!

After I vomited it was like I felt enlightened! Like I was touched by an angel or something! While I was vomiting i was telling myself that if i know my DS will be ok, then I will be ok. I just gotta get it out. hahaha!

Anyone else here that share this fear that have had it at all cured since having children and having to look after them when they're sick?

I googled it, and did read that the way they treat patients to curing this phobia is with exposure. So my DS has been my exposure and cure! :D

It has been a journey for me to learn how to cope when DS would vomit.... and in turn that journey has helped me.

Just had to share. I feel like a new woman!

That's great news!! I try to convince myself the same but never works.

From the age of 8 I was petrified after I watched 2 videos ("bowl girl" and some vile one of two Chinese women doing the horrible in each others mouth). It feared by mum too - we both instantly vomited ourselves.

I feared school - if somebody was poorly, I wouldn't go to school. Some kid was sick in the classroom, I notified the teacher of my fear and they forced me to sit in there near the vomit on the floor! I only lasted minutes. I wouldn't use the same toilet somebody has been sick in, if it happened at home then I'd be scared to go in the bathroom for a few days.

The sound of it fears me more than the look of it now, but don't get me wrong, if I see somebody being sick I will cry and have a panic attack. My OH has only seen this happen once when we were in the train station waiting room. I wouldn't get on the train cause the boy ran outside and was sick next to my train.

I can go out on the town with less worry, but if I see somebody being sick I will avoid the whole street, or if there's any fresh about, I won't go near it.

I panic when DD is sick. But I still manage to clean it. I've been sick more times than ever since having DD, and I have panic attacks and cold sweats when I feel sick (or about to be). I'm dreading when she's older and it's like "real" human sick.

Apologies for the essay.

That's great! I'm so jealous though, I want more than anything to be cured. Emetophobia is the worst, wouldny wish it on my worst enemy ( I do wish that my family could live with it for one day so they'd understand as they really don't get it!).
Going to try what you do. Positive thinking! Vomiting makes you better, and it won't hurt you.

That's so great for you! I wish it worked for me...I still can't sit in the same room as someone if they've said they feel sick!

That's so great. I know someone who has this condition, and it sounds hard to live with.

I wish children had cured me. As soon as someone feels sick, I get hot and dizzy and start to feel sick myself with anxiety.

Nobody understands how awful it is (other than those who have it!)

Fantastic that you have managed to cure yourself x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->