DS is 5 in 12days and i am stomped on what to get him?

lynne192

mum 2 James & Libby
Reaction score
hey all... need some suggestions...

my son will be 5 in 12days people keep asking me what to get him but i am utterly no idea....

he has enough clothes, toys and books to do him he has some dvd's but we don't really allow TV...

He's starting school in august but he's mentally delayed and also has suspected aspergers, OCD and AD/HD. he's mentally about 3 and obsessed with thomas tank we have decided no thomas this year...

anyways if anyone has links to suitable stuff from like argos or anywhere online or high street would be great.... don't have whole lot of money and we're having a party for him the sat after his birthday....

got him some fireman sam stuff too

i am just losing my mind

oh we don't have our own garden, james does have his own room but the flat is tiny and having new baby in september...

Hi hun I don't really know what to suggest, other than does he like reading, or does he like anything like moshi monsters or something like that?

My son is hard to buy for but he loves reading and would appreciate a roald dahl book or something x

Hi hun I don't really know what to suggest, other than does he like reading, or does he like anything like moshi monsters or something like that?

My son is hard to buy for but he loves reading and would appreciate a roald dahl book or something x

thanks hun he has no idea what moshi monsters is and has tons of books but bought him more trying to bring him on he's only mentally 3years old so still a baby really so its hard, books we buy for him have to be simple and just like minimal reads he likes the i can read range which we buy as has big words and we get him to join in.

lego or playmobil? my son loves both at the moment. I don't like to buy the lego that builds something specifically, but we buy the bricks and wheels etc. He loves playmobil too and you can get some good bargains on ebay.

thanks got some lego, he loves it but because his aspergers it has to be to make an model, him and my OH make it then they display it up on the shelf so its a great gift but lasts one night lol. I got him a huge box of lego last year and he never touched it because it didn't have a "goal" so just ended up getting thrown everywhere actually considering throwing it out as I keep stepping on it lol :D thinking of getting him some educational toys because his vocabulary is very minimal and he has very basic baby pre literacy and numeracy

don't throw it out! sell it on ebay :rofl:

Educational toys sound good - I like some of the phonics games they have on amazon.

might check it out over last two years i have bought him every leapfrog toy they make lol :D i really wish i could get him old style ones like we used when we were kids i think alot of things are little dumbed down now :( i gave him all my old books and he has thomas tank books from 1940-1980's which are much more advanced than his 1990's-present day ones

don't see point on selling it on ebay its just a pure mess i hate it with a passion spent way tooo much time cleaning it up going to look on amazon now :D

Why don't you get him some montessori learning toys there old fashioned toys but my love loves them and a school we looked at the child found them great there on ebay and amazon and other places. X

My son is 5 on the 25th having the same problem as he already has everything lol. What about something like an innotab? My son loves his and the games are educational, simple counting, colours etc. it's easy to use to my 2 yr plays on it x

we looked at that and OH said no DS looked at my sisters DS the other week thought it was a mirror he's not big on computers weirdly enough looking into educational ideas for kids with ASD so can try and get him some help at home but might get him one of these for christmas if i feel he's mature enough

Also google montissori sensory pits you could make him one out of a big plastic box my plays fir hours with his we bought a big box with a lid on so when he's not using it it can be put away. X

very cool :D i have huge creats which have lids lol

Out of ALL the toys (which was overboard) my son got for his 5th birthday the thing he plays with the most is his kite and farm animals and occasionally some board games :) Good Luck!

funny you saying farm animals my MIL has bought him huge box of these lol thinking before his birthday i might actually gut his room and get rid of all the stuff he doesn't play with. seems to take up wayyy to much space.

Hi my son is being assesed for autism at the moment, he is 10 yrs old, i found role playing was great for him at that age, dressing up outfits, nerf foam guns, you can get a 2 pack and play with him round the house or in the garden, lots of fun also do targets, cans etc, there is also the science sets, making a volcano erupt etc, or making a radio and lights works, toys r us does them, or something for the garden swimming pool etc, slide, climbing frame.

i don't believe in guns hun they are not allowed anywere near my house, but like the science idea not sure what kinda sciene stuff is suitable for a child mentally 3?

we don't have a garden sadly :(

How about some of the bead things where you put them on a board then iron to create a stand up figure? You can get them with large beads aimed at three year olds or smaller beads if manual dexterity better...

Um... Trying to think of name ... Hamma beads?msure someone will correct but anyway both ,y three year old son and my six year old nephews liked them. Hobbycraft have loads and beads come in thousands and boards can be re used.

In fact how about any of the three year old making stuff kits that hobbycraft do? There is some excellent activity things.

my sister has these the ones you use water not iron but they are really popular might try see if i can get them running out of time :( but think i have good lot of stuff for him don't want to over buy, before next friday will need to gut his room because he has wayyy to much

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->