Dummies/pacifiers - yay or nay?!

Hmm this is only the beginning though, after supply is established I refused to be used as a dummy, I believe from about 4 weeks, I discouraged comfort feeding my supply was plentiful just my perference, which I guess goes to show how short a time babies actually need dummies for (if for instance they are formula fed).

I'm with you I don't really think I could deal with comfort suckling once my supply is well established.

I would get really frustrated though. I have a lot of other obligations and I'd rather wear my baby to provide them lots of contact and love, but still be able to do those things. I'd go nuts if I were to stop everything that many extra times a day! It's not that I don't prioritize my baby. It's just that I know that I have to take other things into considerations too, so that I am at my best mentally and physically to take care of my baby.

That being said, I definitely have nothing against it. If that's something you can do, that's awesome! More power to you.

I've read a theory (don't ask where, I'm absolutely absent-minded atm) that having a pacifier all-day-round stops baby from practicing sounds that will later be used in speach. For that reason, they recommended to use pacifier for a few months only. (On the other hand, only a few kids have a severe speach delay, I imagine, and probably not because of the dummies they had... so I'd say all is relative).
I've also read about introducing alternative soothing methods, like comfort blanket or age-appropriate toy (that was from some Montessori book, I remember that). Idea was to give baby a choice of a couple of toys/comforters in their crib/cot and at some point one will be chosen and you will not need a pacifier. (I also read that it might be a good idea to have a spare copy if you take them out of the house).
And yes, another thing that was already mentioned, was to try not to use pacifiers before lactation is established.

Saying all that, I'll be a FTM and time will show if I'll use any of what I just wrote. :baby:

Definite Nay - if I give it I'll just create more work for myself by having to take it away.. :)

Won't be buying one at all.. :)

If baby will take one, then he/she will get one. Neither of my others have wanted one tho.

My son never would take one and I wasn't going to force one on him. And I'm hoping this one will be the same though if he ends up needing one I'm not completely against it. But I'm definitely going to try to limit the exposure because I've known quite a few kids that it was REALLY HARD to get the kid off the pacifier once it was time. And I just think it looks really aweful for a 4 year old to be walking around with one in their mouth all the time. But I guess that can happen with any soothing toy/blanket a kid gets. My 2 year old has a blanket that he just can't live without so I'm probably going to struggle getting that away from him at some point! :dohh:

I've read a theory (don't ask where, I'm absolutely absent-minded atm) that having a pacifier all-day-round stops baby from practicing sounds that will later be used in speach. For that reason, they recommended to use pacifier for a few months only. (On the other hand, only a few kids have a severe speach delay, I imagine, and probably not because of the dummies they had... so I'd say all is relative).
I've also read about introducing alternative soothing methods, like comfort blanket or age-appropriate toy (that was from some Montessori book, I remember that). Idea was to give baby a choice of a couple of toys/comforters in their crib/cot and at some point one will be chosen and you will not need a pacifier. (I also read that it might be a good idea to have a spare copy if you take them out of the house).
And yes, another thing that was already mentioned, was to try not to use pacifiers before lactation is established.

Saying all that, I'll be a FTM and time will show if I'll use any of what I just wrote. :baby:

My Ds never had a pacifier and had speech delay. I've heard that too though

I find they are a life saver, we brought them for our little one just in case, wasn't planning on using as early as we did, but found he was a comfort sucker. luckily he'll quite happily go without he usually only has it when he naps and goes to bed, and ends up spitting it out when he's goes to sleep.
I have heard one of the reasons why people don't like to give their little ones dummies is because they are meant to make the teeth grow through wonky, I have no idea if that is true or not or whether there is actually any evidence to back it up.

I used them with all 3 of my girls. 2 of them longer than one. Never had a problem with taking them away. There is no "one size fits all" answer and you're certainly not doomed if you want to give it a try. I know many who successfully breast fed and used pacifiers. As with every other topic, it seems to illicit such a strong response when it's not really needed. My girls never had dental problems because of them either, the 2 of the 3 that had braces had teeth VERY similar to their dad when he was young and their issues were very mild.

From what I understand a dummy/paci is ok and won't affect speech/teeth up until the age of 1, but from 1 u want to look at it being taken away as I can begin to affect speech development. My LO has one now and at 9months she has it for her nap and nighttime only; she used to have it when she was upset too but we've stopped that. I've started the process of 'weaning' her off it by replacing it with a soft toy to associate with sleep which is going ok, she rarely needs her dummy during naps when were out. There are pros and cons to using one, but the older the child gets the more cons and less pros there r. :) xx

I'm in two minds about this, my son still sucks his bloody thumb!! and I would like to avoid that.

However I can't help but think they look "naff" more so on older babies/toddlers, or when they are being used as an obvious way to "shut baby up" I think I would find it hard to find the balance if it was making my life easy iykwim ? but there is nothing worse(okay maybe there is lol) then seeing a small child wondering around sucking a dummy for no reason....

took my daughter to the pediatrician today for a test and saw a girl my son's age with a pacifier in! Sorry but that is the most disgusting site. She wouldn't even take it out to talk. I think if a child is old enough to be potty trained (she was) then they should be old enough to go without one. Just my opinion. I think they are used way too long. If I had a child to take one, I would be taking it away at a year.

I used one, it has its benefits and non benefits.

Benefits, helped soothe DD, it apparently reduces the risk of SIDS, you can take them away eventually unlike a thumb. It helps soothe LO! That one is in twice because that's its main benefit

Non benefits, once you start using it you can't stop until 6months because it increases the risk of SIDS if taken away too early, some struggle to get LO to give it up. You're up 5/6 times a night sometimes if they drop it in their sleep.

As a comparison I gave DD a dummy, my friend refused to give her DD one, there's 3 months between them. My DD gave up her dummy just after she turned 2. Her speech improved straight away. And she drinks from a regular cup.

My friend used to let her DD comfort suck on a bottle of milk. Her DD still now walks around holding a bottle between her teeth, she doesn't talk very much and you can't take the bottle off her as its her drink as well as her comforter xx

took my daughter to the pediatrician today for a test and saw a girl my son's age with a pacifier in! Sorry but that is the most disgusting site. She wouldn't even take it out to talk. I think if a child is old enough to be potty trained (she was) then they should be old enough to go without one. Just my opinion. I think they are used way too long. If I had a child to take one, I would be taking it away at a year.

Yes I agree with this, and I used one. I think if they're old enough to talk they shouldn't have one. Our rule was take the dummy out and then talk, then it was strictly nap time only, then oops one day I "lost" it, and she was fine.

I do hate seeing 3/4yr olds with one x

Given the potential interference with breastfeeding and speech, and the stress of removing it (or replacing it 10 times a night) I would never introduce one. My LO doesn't suck his thumb. Also, I don't believe in plugging a baby's mouth with a dummy to shut them up, which I have seen done more times than I can count.

And lastly my nan who is an incredible 91, told me a story about when my aunty had my cousin, 32yrs ago. That my cousin cried a lot, despite, winding, feeding changing etc, the midwife told her some babies like to suck, your child is a sucking baby give her a dummy and the crying stopped. Xx

I plan on offering one, but it'll be up to the LO. Some babies want/need them and other have no interest. I'll just see how it goes. :)

Definitely yes! Apparently it reduces SIDS, babies like to suck, what's not to like? Yes It is hard taking it away but it's worth it

Neither of my boys would use one out of the NICU. I'm not against them though! :thumbup: I know babies enjoy the comfort of sucking. My boys STILL suck in their sleep. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->