dying brown hair blonde at home

tinkerbelle93

2 little boys :)
Reaction score
Has anybody managed to successfully do this? I have been blonde before but always had it done at the salon to look nice, in past years I have tried out blonde home dyes and always ended up an awful patchy gingery colour! Any tips on how to do a good job with a home dye?? xx

I'd buy a hair dye with more ash tones, and avoid the warm toned hair dyes.

I made that mistake myself some years back.

Wow ceejay your sister must be awesome to help get your hair so nice!

Get lots of pre-lightner (I used the proper stuff from eBay, you can get a bottle of 30% and blue powder for about a tenner). Once it's light lash a ton of toner on (La Riche Directions, purple tub), and leave it for a while. That will take out yellow tones and really help with the condition of your hair.
Once it's a good, even colour put your box dye on :)

ETA: It took a couple of goes with the bleach to lift the brown from mine. I'll add some photos. Halfway through lightening it, the end result, and my natural colour.

Attachments

• 183896_168067743242521_1265538_n.jpg
    183896_168067743242521_1265538_n.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 10
  • 195990_174357255946903_2457915_n.jpg
    195990_174357255946903_2457915_n.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 1461066_582827315099893_1585404697_n.jpg
    1461066_582827315099893_1585404697_n.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 6
To be honest I would say it's something you work towards gradually and space out dye and bleach sessions 4 weekly.

It also depends what has been done to your hair in the past? has it been dyed? And how long ago did you have blonde before. All the previous work done to your hair can affect what colour it goes to.

Really I would visit a hairdresser and get the intial lightening process out the way, and let them know you want a colour that would be easy to upkeep at home yourself with box dyes/lightening.

You shouldn't use anything more than 20vol (6%) peroxide on your scalp at home. You run the risk of damage to the hair and chemical burns. Anything higher is more for off the scalp techniques. I've had chemical burns with just 30 vol in a salon, and I had to sign a waiver because i made them use it :rofl: Never again!

To be honest I would say it's something you work towards gradually and space out dye and bleach sessions 4 weekly.

It also depends what has been done to your hair in the past? has it been dyed? And how long ago did you have blonde before. All the previous work done to your hair can affect what colour it goes to.

Really I would visit a hairdresser and get the intial lightening process out the way, and let them know you want a colour that would be easy to upkeep at home yourself with box dyes/lightening.

You shouldn't use anything more than 20vol (6%) peroxide on your scalp at home. You run the risk of damage to the hair and chemical burns. Anything higher is more for off the scalp techniques. I've had chemical burns with just 30 vol in a salon, and I had to sign a waiver because i made them use it :rofl: Never again!

I got properly shouted at from a hairdresser on here once for using 40vol on my roots. I was in sooo much pain but my hair looked pretty! :blush:

I go from black, brown, blonde to red all colours all of the time lol, I haven't since being preg, but usually I just use colour b4, bleach hair at least twice then use purple toner. My hair is literally like elastic though so maybe don't follow my advice haha! Hope you get your blonde! X

I got properly shouted at from a hairdresser on here once for using 40vol on my roots. I was in sooo much pain but my hair looked pretty! :blush:

:rofl: I won't lie, I'm an ex hairdresser that pushes the rules, but I have definatley learnt it's worth doing it slowly and surely now. It's really paid off, or I wouldnt have managed from the black to long neon pink! I'd definatley still have short hair otherwise!

The blonde I had in my hair's definitely all grown out now. it's currently a dyed chocolate brown with my natural light/mouse brown underneath. Is colour b4 any good? xx

You can buy a pre lightener ,think its nice and easy then just put a blonde on top. I'm forever going from brown to blonde. It does take a few dyes for it to settle and look less 'home dye' though.

I'd say go for a colour b4 once, even twice if needed, and decide how the shade is and work from there

I tried doing mine at home but it looked more orange than blonde because I had no idea what I was doing! :haha:

Colour b4 is just bleach. If your going to risk it and do it your self I would avoid any fresh regrowth you have and only bleach where is coloured. If you have a lot of build up it may not lift that great bleach is very unpredictable and it is a gradual thing going from that dark to that light.. Also don't leave it on for to long! There is really a time for bleach to be on but use your own digression Wouldn't risk it for longer than a hour tops!

Also if your going to use 30vol I wouldn't leave it on for 2 long.. 20vol just is a weaker peroxide and can be left longer

Colour b4 is just bleach. If your going to risk it and do it your self I would avoid any fresh regrowth you have and only bleach where is coloured. If you have a lot of build up it may not lift that great bleach is very unpredictable and it is a gradual thing going from that dark to that light.. Also don't leave it on for to long! There is really a time for bleach to be on but use your own digression Wouldn't risk it for longer than a hour tops!

No there's two versions Hun

Colour b4 colour remover (more common)is not bleach and doesn't damage the hair, but it is a little drying. It shrinks the molecules and they are washed away so to speak

Colour b4 stripper contains peroxide and can be classed as bleach.

Ohh okay didnt know that as I don't use them just thought there was only 1 box and was bleach as sorted a lot of disasters from it lol!! X thanks Hun. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->