dyspraxia

mumto5

Reaction score
hi everyone

My dd is 2 years old and shes always falling over or walking into things. Took her to the drs and theyre referring her to the childrens physiotherapy team. My other dd is already under them and i spoke to them and they mentioned dyspraxia can anyone give me some advice if your going through the same

Many thanks

I have it. Its nicknamed "clumsy child syndrome". Hasn't effected my life I literally am just a little bit clumsy sometimes. I don't really understand what it is myself x

Isn't dyspraxia a speech disorder? I must be confused.

My daughter always falls over her own feet, and stumbles regularly every day. Until age 5, we used to think she was just clumsy and would outgrow it. Then we started looking for a diagnosis. One dr, a pediatric neurologist, told me it's because my daughter has ADD so she forgets to look infront of her when she walks. :dohh: We found out when she was age 7 that she had a tethered cord. She's been operated for it, but there was some permanent nerve damage to her ankle, so she still stumbles alot. She had some bladder and bowel symptoms too, so it wasn't just that she fell down or stumbled allot. It was the bladder symptoms that made us look for a diagnosis.

My son has dyspraxia (which is not a "condition" per se, but rather a "symptom"). For my son he has a neurological condition which manifests as a dyspraxia which affects his gross and fine motor skills, he also appears very clumsy and uncoordinated. My son also has a severe speech delay. The spectrum covered within the terms "dyspraxia" is vast and can include gross, fine motor skills and often speech (which in itself is a fine motor skill).

My son has been in OT and ST for a while which has really helped.:thumbup:

My 2 year old is going through speech and occupational therapy right now. The OT has given him a treatment diagnosis of sensory issues and dyspraxia, in coordination. I am still trying to figure out what that really means. I know with speech it means the brain has trouble getting the muscles in the mouth to properly form words, so I assume with in coordination the brain has struggles with the muscles of the body- causing the child to be clumsy.

I know- not much help, huh? :)

When do you meet with the team? Nolan will start going through evaluations soon for the special needs preschool, so I hoping to get more answers then.

Hey, Im dyspraxic and I understand having a child diagnosed with any condition is really scary. Its worth mentioning that dyspraxia means different things for different people. When I was first diagnosed my parents were told a lot of scary things about me and my potential future. In reality I went to a mainstream school. achieved 12 gcses, 4 alevels and completed my degree. I may not be the best person at sports but i get by (i can even ride a bike!). I do have some difficulties but its now part of my personality. Everything exists on a spectrum.

Dyspraxia manifests its self in lots of different ways from the typical clumsiness to emotional frustration. Its worth looking at the Dyspraxia foundation website and theres also several support groups on facebook for parents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->