Dyspraxia

fidgets mammy

mammy of 3 fab kids
Reaction score
Hi, my son who is eight years old has been diagnosed with dyspraxia. It's been nearly three year since I first aired my concerns and finally we have the diagnosis.
I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has a dyspraxic child? He also has asd traits, hypermobilty and sensory issues. Other than that he's a fab sociable funny and well loved little boy. His teachers live him, his friends do, particularly girls lol, and he is very very bright. His diagnosis was a mix bag of emotions for me, I knew he was, and pushed for it, but just knowing he definitely was an emotional roller-coaster, relief, worry, realisation. I often find myself being his invisible bodyguard ready to pounce should anyone say anything about him, or make him feel bad. Does anyone feel like this?

I often find myself being his invisible bodyguard ready to pounce should anyone say anything about him, or make him feel bad. Does anyone feel like this?

My boy doesn't have dsypraxia, but he does have additional needs - and yes I know that feeling! I try and hold myself back though, as imo it's more about giving them the tools to communicate and stand up for themselves. We can't be there all the time.

Your boy sounds like he is doing really well! Hope you are feeling a bit better about things. It's a lot to process! :flower:

On a personal note, I've known adults with dsypraxia and it's like anything else - a single facet of a complex and interesting person :)

He is very interesting funny you should say that. Yes I too try to reign myself in too, it's more so family members that I'm quick with

I know exactly what you mean I'm on eggshells all the time because im constantly waiting in the wings to swoop in and protect her from situations I know she will struggle with.but we have to let them experience too. So hardx

I know, it's so hard isn't it, it's working out the balance of what to protect and what to let them learn themselves. His friends also protect him too, not that he has any particular enemies but if anyone is mean to him, which has happened, his friends back him up straight away. Which is really quite sweet.

My son has global dyspraxia - he has all the typical motor planning issues and a significant speech delay. We see and OT and ST every week... :flower:

Hi! We've been signed off from physio and ot now. The school have things to put in place and we have exercises etc for him. I do wonder tho , what will happen as he gets older, will his support strategies change ? Will he need new ones? I'd imagine he will but how do I go about that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->