Ear 'turning off'..

pinkish_angel

Reaction score
I'm sure there is a better place for this but I couldn't find the correct section...

Basically, for about a month my 5 year old daughter keeps pressing her ear and saying 'oh hang on mom, Im just turning my ear back on'. I didn't think much of it at first because they catch that much from school, and are always flued up or sniffing etc so just assumed she must be a bit bunged up. She pressed the bit that some people have peirced (if u know what I mean, not the lobe.. the bit near the canal) and it pops and comes back on for a short while. She was popping it all the time :/ Anyway, yesterday morning she woke up and said her ear was off and she couldn't get it back on at all. I took her to the doctors and he looked inside and said there is quite a bit of wax (you can't see this just from looking). He gave me some oil and she has to have 2 drops 3 times a day. So far, it hasnt worked and her ear still hasn't come back on since yesterday morning. Anyone else experienced this? Should I be worried? The doc said to take her back in a month but the drops aint working.. or will it just take a bit of time to disolve the wax?

When i was around 6 or 7 i remember the same thing happening and the doctor syringed out my ear with water there and then at the appointment. It worked and never ever had a problem since! Maybe ask the doctor if they still do this/could give it a try? The drops probably do the same thing but likely slower.

Thanks hun, I will defo be making an appointment if its no better within the next few days. Hopefully he will do that then xxxx

This happens to me, for some reason I have ears that are extra prone to wax blockage. When it happens I go to the doctor and they have a look, then tell me to put olive oil in it for a week, then come back and have it syringed. The syringing doesn't hurt at all but does feel a bit strange. They literally flush water (warm) at the wax and it comes free. I feel soooo much better afterwards!

ahhh thanks so much hun.. so will she almost defo need to have it syringed to feel the effect? the olive oil wont work all by itself?? xxx

I couldn't tell you if the olive oil will work on it's own... hope so though, but if she does need it syringed it's not too bad so don't worry :)

Ive just put more oil in and massaged it about a bit and her ear 'came on' (lol sorry its her expression not mine). It did keep going off again but atleast I'm more convinced that it is just wax and that the oil is helping now. She has gone to her dads for the night so I'll see how she is tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for putting my mind at rest ladies xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->