Early potty learning

katerdid

Momma
Reaction score
Hey guys! My almost 11 month old is a smart cookie. Today she just floored me though and I need advice.

Today she was on the floor grabbing her diaper, fussing at me, so I took it off her and she ran straight into the bathroom. I followed, she went to the toilet and started banging on the lid. I was like, what kid, you gonna pee in the potty? And she starts shouting so I thought, what the heck, let's try it. Put her on her older brother's seat and said, are you gonna pee on the potty? AND SHE DID.
Later that day she went and peed in the bumbo ( close enough lol ). And then tonight she ran into the bathroom, and wanted to sit on the potty, and after requestIng to be taken on and off a few times, she peed again.
My eldest showed interest early too, around 18 months. But this is just crazy to me.

Is this too early? Should I try and get her on the potty more? Obviously I'm not gonna push it, but is it harmful to encourage?

Not harmful!!

I've introduced the potty early with both kids with no expectations and it was great for ds1, he was pooping on the potty consistently at 18 months.

Sounds like she is giving you cues and I would go with it. 11 months is super early to potty train, but at that age with those cues I would definitely be encouraging fun potty time :)

There's no harm if she's happy with it! I'm actually doing baby led potty training (elimination communication) with my daughter, so she's happily peeing in her potty a 8 months. The important thing is that you're responding to their needs and not getting mad at them if they miss a beat.

My daughter couldn't bear a dirty nappy from birth, and was always very regular 1st thing in the morning, so I always sat her on the potty as soon as he could sit up. She was clean from 6 moths, out of nappies in the day by 13 months, and out at night by 18 months.

My daughter couldn't bear a dirty nappy from birth, and was always very regular 1st thing in the morning, so I always sat her on the potty as soon as he could sit up. She was clean from 6 moths, out of nappies in the day by 13 months, and out at night by 18 months.

this is how all the kids in our family were potty trained, in combination with baby-lead training (no fussing if they fail etc).. me included. i think it was a standard procedure in the '70-'80s. we were all out of nappy by day between 10 and 16 months (all our childhood pictures are there to prove it, back then the 24+ months nappies hardly existed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->