early prenatal appts out of lurking

pester

Reaction score
I have always been drawn towards home/natural birthing. Up till now I just lurked around here learning but as of this past weekend its personal. I just got my very first BFP. I'm about 4-5 weeks and everyone keeps asking me if I have gone to the doctor yet. How soon do I "need" to see someone??? I want to go the midwife route rather than an OB. But I want to take the time to find one that is right for me. What exactly do the DO at early prentatal visits? I know the stuff I shoulden't take/eat. I'm taking my vitimans and such. It too early to hear a heartbeat and stuff. Because of our insurance I don't want just go to the doctor for no other reason than to have them tell me I pregnant. I KNOW that much already:haha:

So I guess my question is is thier a reason I need to go and see a doctor now or can I wait a little while till I find a midwife? Thanks.

I'll be honest and say that I have no idea how your insurance works in the U.S.
However I know that as you say you don't have to go to your general doctor just to confirm your pregnancy. ;-)
So I would start researching birthing centres and Midwifey lead care, and find one local to you.
DO you know of any restrictions of doing this in your state? Some states surprisingly have made it illegal for MWs to practice home births! Check that out too.
Sorry I can't be of anymore help - but what I can't tell you, from presonal experience, is that home birth for me, was the most emmence and empowering begining to my journey into motherhood... I wish you the same
XxX

If you're happy with your health and have no previous history that would make you worry about your baby, then there's no reason to see a doctor this early. I saw my doc at 8 weeks and he didn't even do a test, and first saw the midwife at 12 weeks, which is when we have the first blood tests etc. over here. Not really much to look for before then really, unless as I say you have a history. Midwives might get booked up quickly in your area though, so if you want the best availability for your due month then start looking as soon as you can! But no, no reason to see a doctor if they're not going to be the ones providing your care.

Thanks. I'm good health and don't have any history personally or in the family to be concerned with. So on the midwife search. Don't know why I'm so nervous about contacting them I'm sure they don't bite. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->