early weaning.

babyndme

Reaction score
i know your only going to shout at me but i had to do it. my little man is 9 weeks and milk is not satisfing for him, he needs feeding evry hour, tried him on the hungry babie milk, but he just kept bringing evrything back up, and green poo! =[. i only give him the tip of a spoon of baby rice in the morning and supper time. should i try it at lunchtime aswell?? HELP xxx

Nobody is going to shout at you :hugs:

9 weeks is very very early to be weaning though hun, how much milk is he taking a day?

Are you positive he is hungry and not just thirsty and wanting a little drink of cooled, boiled water?

awww thank you.....i was looking at other posts and they looked they were having a rant lol. i know its really early.

yes positive that hes hungry, tried boiled water. and everything. dont really want to do it but its a matter of have to.

he is taking 6oz evry 1 1/2 to 2 hrs witch last week he was taking 6oz evry 4 hrs! =S xx

maybe he cud b just wanting a drink uknow have u tried him with water ?
morgans been having babyrice for past 2wk on a morning with his bottle cos he was having 8oz at 6am and wanting more at 9am and all day just 3hrs,but i found if i took him out 2hr after a feed he wud go longer ! think he was just getting bored in the house xx

give him 8oz every feed he shud go longer x

Have you thought about a growth spurt if he usually takes his feeds well? 6oz every 4 hours is just fine hun

he screams the house down every 1 1/2 to 2 hrs, until he gets the bottle ive tried evrything else. i do make feeds up to 8oz but he only takes 6oz xx

I was thinking a growth spurt too. It can go on for a week or so so maybe persevere for a week with feeding more often and see where you are? Is there a reason why you don't think feeding so often is appropriate? If it is a growth spurt it'll ease off after a bit. Also, have you had advice from your HV or GP? They would be much better placed than us to give you advice about weaning as early as this. Even well meaning advice might set you off in a dangerous direction :hugs:

well im a single parent nd dont get help at all =[ so it is really hard to feed him every 1 1/2 - 2 hrs aswell as evrything else xx

could be growth spurt try to ride it out a little longer or speak with hv

how long is a growth spurt last?? i seriously cant keep up with him like this! xx

They can last from a couple of days to a couple of weeks, from what youve said about his feeding habits that sounds like what it is

If it turns out to be that then great, if it doesnt then there are other avenues to explore which means he wont need weaning just yet, or there are others which means he will need weaning, but try the obvious options first and go from there

I know its tough hun but stick it out for a week or so and see what happens :hugs:

thankyou hun. really meens alot to get support off this xxxxxxxxxx

My advice would b to stop babyrice as it sounds like a growth spurt. Kian went through the same thing a around 10 weeks and he's had a few more since. He sometimes goes from eating ever 4 hours to eating every 2 hours and the amount he's drinking suddenly shoots up from 5 oz to 7+. I know during these phases it seems like they're starving all the time and that it'll never stop but it goes away as quickly as it arrived (the 10 week on lasted abt 1 week and recently we had abt a week of Kian waking in the night again 4 food but both stopped)
Weaning before ur LOs digestive system is ready can cause health problems so i'd def say sit it out 4 a while and see if it is a growth spurt and if not then try everything else first.
Have u tried hungry baby formula?

We have had this several times - suddenly wanting feeding about every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I spend the entire day saying "He can't possibly be hungry again", trying everything else and then finally conceding that he is in fact still hungry! It has always roughly coincided with the generally accepted growth spurts. I think we are going through the 4 month one at the moment. I think you just have to grit your teeth, clear your schedule and accept that you are going to do nothing but wash/sterilise/fill/feed/burp for the next couple of days! I was considering beginning the weaning process at 4 months as he does eat a ridiculous amount but I have decided to hang in there and see if we can make it to 5 months.
I would speak to your HV about this - I suspect they will very strongly advise against weaning at this stage. I understand that some people have to wean early for health reasons but I would be inclined to try everything else first as my understanding is that a baby's digestive system may not be mature enough to handle solids at that age.
It must be really hard going, doing all this on your own - it is tough enough some days, even knowing that his dad will be home at night to do the last feed. The only way I get anything done is to never let any sort of backlog build up - the second I finish eating I wash up and the second he finishes eating I run around like a lunatic doing any jobs I can think of - if I let things slide for a minute I know that OH will come home in the evening and find us buried under a pile of laundry/dishes/baby puke!
Hang in there!

hiya, 9 weeks is really early. I think at least 3-4 months weaning is fine although I waited for 6. They go through massive growth spurts all the time. Dex is now 6 months and he still drinks every 2-3 hours even at night and we have started weaning but it hasn't made a difference. You will probably find in a week or so that it will die back down again and the cereal may not even make a difference. If it doesn't maybe go see your HV or at least do some serious amounts of research before you start on the solids.

It sounds like you really need some professional advice on weaning so I would go and see somebody rather than getting people's opinions from here. You need to look at it from a medical point of view as well.

i think it's a growth spurt as well. and maybe you could discontinue "weaning" him.

1. his digestive system won't be able to take it (as what another poster has mentioned)
2. i don't really think giving him some rice from the tip of a spoon is going to help him much towards getting full as it seems to be your objective

i am NOT saying you should give him more food. i am saying, maybe you can give him more milk and ride out this growth spurt with him.

Has he always brought a lot of milk back up? How long has he had green nappies? Does he have any other symptoms?

I'm not sure about green nappies in Formula Fed babies, but I think you should seek advice about this.

Green nappies in FF babies can indicate overfeeding or underfeeding. How you're mean to tell which it is I don't know. It can also indicate a viral infection. I agree with Asacia, I would get him checked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->