Earrings on older boys

fannyadams

Reaction score
I'm just wondering why so many ladies are dead against earrings on boys.
I'm not talking babies/toddlers-older boys having pierced ears.
My son and most of his male friends have pierced ears and its really common where I live.
I'm genuinely curious why it's ok for girls but not boys?

Again-I'm not talking babies so please dont post about that!!

its probably a regional thing. i dont know a single boy/man with an esr piercing. if they had an ear pierced they would 100 percent get the mickey taken out of them at school. but when iv travelled around in some places its common. crazy!!

My 9 year old has a stud. It looks really nice. Well technically he doesn't anymore as he lost it. It isn't common here but he really wanted it done and with it being his body and not something that is dangerous I let him have it done.

Well I wouldn't pierce my sons ear/ears at any point in his life, but when he is older and he wants to (as in older than 18) then he can go ahead but I'm really not keen on it but its his choice when he is older. His daddy had his ear pierced when I met him and I thought he looked sexy lol

Iv got no problems with it, OH has his done in 3 different places.

Doesn't bother me. My brother has his ear and his lip done and his friends also have various piercings. I thought it was sweet when he was an usher at my wedding he asked if he'd have to take out his lip piercing and when I said no he said he'd wear his pink lip ring to match my colour scheme.

The only time if have a problem with it is if it would jeopardise someone getting the career they wanted as I think a career you enjoy is more important than jewellery.

I'm not against it I just don't think it's attractive. :shrug:

If I had a son who wanted his ears pierced I'd treat it the same as if my daughter wanted her ears pierced.

In older boys (as in 16+) I think it can look attractive, I have nothing against younger boys having it done (as in 6+) but I just don't think it's very nice personally. Saying that if I have a boy and he wants it done when I deem him old enough to choose then he can.

What sort of age do you mean when you say "older boys?" Just curious! I'd think of boys 15+ when you say "older boys".

I think maybe it is a regional thing - I very rarely see any male, regardless of age, with pierced ears. Also, I think it's something that goes in and out of fashion as I know a few men who are now in their 30s who had one ear pierced when they were in their late teens. They've all taken it out now though! And it is definitely not in fashion at the moment, hence the lack of boys with pierced ears.

And dare I say it but there is an association with boys/teens with pierced ears and social class, around here at least. In a same way that certain names reflect the kind of background that a person is from, pierced ears on boys also does the same thing around here. I'm sure it's different in other areas - culture probably plays a huge part in it.

I strongly dislike ear piercings on men - but that is purely personal preference. I just really dislike the way it looks - David Beckham is just about the only guy who can get away with it IMO!!!

I don't know why I feel this way, or why I think it is ok for girls (above the age of 13 or so) to have pierced ears but not boys, but that's how I feel.

I just don't like it on males, well i think its suits the whole tattooed bad boy image but a man in a suit with 2 diamond studs, no thanks!
But i don't really like it on boys, i would in all honesty try and discourage my son from having it done, i would take a lot of persuading!
But where i am, i rarely see boys with studs in

I don't like the look of it myself.

For a potential son of my own, I would not want him to get his ear pierced until he was old enough to understand that some people will see it as a negative and will jump to conclusions about his sexuality. I have nothing against homosexuals, but I do think that it still has a negative association in society (which is all wrong of course!). I would want my son to be able to be the bigger man and ignore those comments. Boys (especially teenage boys) are sensitive enough about themselves and their self-worth as it is without having to deal with prejudice from people who don't even know them. Of course it's wrong to see homosexuality as a negative, but unfortunately that is the way it is still seen generally I think.

Yes I mean boys of an age they can choose it for themselves.
My son was 16, but I just wanted to make clear I wasn't talking about babies as that's a whole other issue!
It does seem to be something that's fashionable or not depending where you're from then. My son and friends have tattoo's, all kinds of piercings, have dyed hair etc which, again, is the fashion round here. Not only are their ears pierced but they're stretched which I hate with a passion (he's too old for me to control now though!).
It's funny how some ladies are ok with girls getting pierced but not boys but I guess if its not the norm where you live, that's why.

I don't like it when guys have gold or studded ones because I think it just looks a bit feminine. My OH has his ear pierced though and has a teeny tiny little plug (we're talking diddy because I think great big holes are disgusting) and it looks pretty good imo.

EDIT: Oooh I don't like it when guys dye their hair though haha! I have tattoos and piercings so it's not like I'm against them in any way, most of them look good on anyone, there are just the odd few that make my toes curl! lol.

I just don't like it on males, well i think its suits the whole tattooed bad boy image but a man in a suit with 2 diamond studs, no thanks!
But i don't really like it on boys, i would in all honesty try and discourage my son from having it done, i would take a lot of persuading!
But where i am, i rarely see boys with studs in

Thats a point actualy, i dont like men with gold/silver studs but i dont mind other types. OH has small hoops that fasten with little balls. Hes quite indie/alternative though.

That's true actually - there is a guy at work with a stretch in each ear. When he first joined us he wore like holes (I'm sure there is a proper name for them) but he could get a pencil through the hole. My dept head didn't like them and he now wears plugs. But I actually quite like them. He also wears his hair in a mohican style (un-dyed), his trousers around his bum and has tattoos. So it fits into his image and it's just "him". He's 33 by the way, so not a young lad.

Another one of my team has a diamond stud and looks a bit odd in my opinion!

Maybe it's because my son is quite alternative that I don't see the issue.
I do lecture him in how ridiculous he'll look with massive stretched ear lobes when he's 50 and a grandad!! Lol

Doesn't bother me a bit. As long as the boy is old enough to ask for himself, and responsible enough to take care of it, I fail to see how it's any different than a girl having the same.

If he really knew it's what he wanted then I would let him get his ear(s) pierced. It would take a good amount of persuading and some time though to make sure he really wanted it and it wasn't just a passing thing. I probably wouldn't consider it until he's 12-13 though.

My oh has his, but now they have flesh tunnels. Also my cousins who are 10 n 15 have theres, like with everything it a fashion statement, which come n go.

If my son wants it and his school allow it then no problems.

Edt: but shud note both me n oh alternative in style with tats n piercing...so cud never really say it wrong to any of our children...just teach them the safety on how to look after them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->