easing off supplements.

S

sumatwsimit

anyone deciding after mnths of supplementing to ease off and just see how it goes? the last few mnths ttc ive taken b6, folic, omega3 oils and iron. i tell you, ive had the worst periods in years!!!! i think the omega has contributed to me feeling hungry all the time ( and feeling sickly coz of it) and the b6 i think has made my pms worse and horribly achy periods (usually i whizz through a period without thought)... and my cycles are pretty regular so why do we do it to ourselves?!

considered epo but heard neg and pos things about it... just in the mindset now to do away with the b6 and omega for now ( and think about developing baby's brain with fish oil at a later date i.e. after conception).

i feel like my head is bombardered with ideas of stuff to take, and hear lots of success stories but i just don't want to mess around with my cycles unless of course it's really needed. anyone else feeling like me?

I'm still gathering my data on EPO, so far cycle 2 and I've seen some positives and negatives, once I finish this cycle I'll post up my findings....

Don't take anything else except folic acid, my cycles are regular so the EPO was only for the spots/period pain since I came off the BCP, nothing to do with TTC really.

Supplements are certainly no magic bullet, and results vary a lot from person to person, so IDK, I probably won't try anything else at this stage, but in a few months I could well be taking a cocktail of them, I won't rule out anything that might help us achieve a BFP.

Hiya sumatwsimit,

When I first started getting ready to TTC I was taking this mega expensive fertility multi-vit job, but my Dr said if you're healthy, good diet, av weight etc then you only need folic acid and lots of BD. So I ditched the multi-vit. Have to say it's not got me my BFP yet (but my purse is definitely appreciating it!) and like you I'm reluctant to take anything else as I Ov and have regular 29 day cycles. So I'm kinda sitting on the fence really, tempted to take something else but also a bit scared I'll mess myself up!

I reckon Northstar's right, vits are good but not the magic bullet and vary from person to person.

Good luck with your decision:flower:x

If you're worrying that supplements are affecting you negatively then best to stop.

I am on a number of supplements as is my DH but our supplements are predominately for existing heath issues which the supplements help and the fact they help TTC is secondary and we have been on them long before TTC.

It would be fabulous if there was one supplement or medication which could guarantee a BFP but because everyone is different and reacts differently to medications/supplements that will never be the case.

I think you have to do what is right for you and only take what you are happy to take :thumbup:

There's a school of thought that says all supplements give you is expensive piss. I think a healthy lifestyle is more important, but supplementing with folic acid for example, is recommended by everyone. The jury is still out on whether supplements actually work. Personally I'd avoid anything that is likely to mess with my cycle, unless there was specifically something about it that I was trying to correct.

I agree with the posters above about 'whatever it takes' though. and there's no harm in making sure your blood's full of the proper nutrients and trace elements. I think a lot of drug manufacturers really cash in on the whole preconception thing - women have had babies for thousands of years without using those things, after all.

Totally agree with Macwooly, my main motivation for the EPO is because I was getting spots on my chin every month since coming off the BCP, oh and period pain I'd forgotten what that was like, ouch. I think it makes me O late as well, but this cycle that was awesome as it meant my egg didn't arrive till my OH came home from working away, for someone who's partner has a normal working situation that wouldn't be a benefit.

If it has any additional benefits in TTC so much the better, I bought some regular multivitamins for my OH but so far I don't think he's actually taken them, and I can't supervise this when he's away!

There's a school of thought that says all supplements give you is expensive piss. I think a healthy lifestyle is more important, but supplementing with folic acid for example, is recommended by everyone.

- women have had babies for thousands of years without using those things, after all.

yes, expensive smelly piss! :haha: i dont know if its the folic acid but mine is so sweet sugary smelling since popping those pills. when i used to take my multivit from gnc it always turned it dayglow yellow!

think i am going to ditch the b6 for now and see how i feel when af is due this time. b6 is supposed to help with pm mood swings too...well, if you were to ask DH, you'd find he would totally disagree. i've been a moody-on-edge-swine this month gggrrrr...:hissy: he has been walking around on egg shells.

There's a school of thought that says all supplements give you is expensive piss. I think a healthy lifestyle is more important, but supplementing with folic acid for example, is recommended by everyone.

- women have had babies for thousands of years without using those things, after all.

yes, expensive smelly piss! :haha: i dont know if its the folic acid but mine is so sweet sugary smelling since popping those pills. when i used to take my multivit from gnc it always turned it dayglow yellow!

think i am going to ditch the b6 for now and see how i feel when af is due this time. b6 is supposed to help with pm mood swings too...well, if you were to ask DH, you'd find he would totally disagree. i've been a moody-on-edge-swine this month gggrrrr...:hissy: he has been walking around on egg shells.

Lol, so am I. I have THE WORST pms at the moment :growlmad::brat:

Lol, so am I. I have THE WORST pms at the moment :growlmad::brat:

good to know im not alone. right, off to get a cup of tea and chocolate.:coffee:

I think that everybody is different, so there is no way to tell if something will work for you or not, for me i tried Soy Isoflavons, and it totaly messes up my cycle, and i end up with a 7 day LP, but for others it has helped and they have gotten their bfp's for me also i cannot take extra folic acid, i can take what is in my pre natal vit, but not extra, as it makes me break out in a rash for some reason in the bend of my arms. I also have found out that i cannot take Fish Oil, or Flax Seed Oil, and this is strange, but when i take it if i have an orgasum, i get a blinding headache right as i reach the peak of it, sorry TMI, but thats just an idea of what happens. Right now i am only taking my PreNatal vit, and i am off of everything else. I guess the way i look at it, is if you get a good egg, and a good sperm and they meet, and if its meant to be then it will stick and grow no matter what. Good luck to you, and i say if your uncomfortable with taking the supplements then stop, and be happy!!

I think you have the right idea! These supplement companies are making loads of money off women eager to get pregnant. While I don't deny that some are useful for some women, most women do NOT need them! The only thing that I medically recommend my patients who are TTC is folic acid, 1mg per day. Once you're pregnant, it's good to add 1 multi-vit as well. :hugs: And yes, we are taught in med school that since most women don't need all these supplement, the one thing they're garanteed to give you is expensive pee :haha:

I seem to go in phases between supplements and not. Obviously getting the needed nutrients from food is the best. I try to eat wild salmon once a week if I can. You can also get omega-3's from walnuts and flax-seeds as well as fatty fish. For B6 spinach and bell peppers are excellent! Folic acid is found naturally in foods high in folate - but this is probably one that its good to stick with for insurance since the consequences on a baby of a deficiency can be so drastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->