Eastenders rape scene

Tasha

4kids+2angels+16mc
Reaction score
There seems to be some controversy around the rape scene last night, where Dean raped Linda, and the subsequent scenes such as Linda using bleach to wash with in the shower.

I caught the segment on the Wright stuff (panel show) and there were a few opinions; firstly that it's great to raise awareness and if it helps one victim or prevents one rape it's worth it. The second was that more of a warning should of happened rather than the generic 'scenes' of an upsetting nature.

Another opinion was that it should not of been shown before the watershed (for those that don't know, this is suppose to protect younger viewers and stops things like swearing, violence etc before 9pm), two callers on the Wright stuff young children (four and seven years old) had seen Eastenders and this led to questions with answers that may not be suitable for such young children.

Lastly was the opinion that it shouldn't be shown at all. That this was the fourth time rape has been dealt with on Eastenders since 1988 and that regular occurrence normalises rape.

So what are your thoughts? Should it be shown? Should it be after the watershed incase young children are viewing? Are we normalising or even glamourising rape and sexual abuse (glamourising was a word used on the panel show not my own)? Should rape only be shown on prime time television if the victim goes to the police and becomes empowered or is it important to show people, particularly victims, that actually not going to the police is or can be a normal reaction and they're not alone if they didn't? Would it perhaps of been eye opening to some that Dean was a good looking, young successful man and not the old, loner that is sometimes portrayed in the media? That Linda was in her own home and wasn't the drunk victim, that is also sometimes the general portrayal.

I've tried to find a clip but can't.

Sorry for any typos, I'm on my phone.

I don't personally watch EastEnders as I think its a load of tripe but that's just me haha. I don't think it should have been shown before water shed, unfortunately soaps will always be full of trauma and misery as that's how they get ratings. I'm not sure why any parent would let their child watch EastEnders is beyond me any how. I don't think its suitable any time for children. I think if it shows an outcome where people reach out for help it can be good however a lot of times I think soaps want to get ratings rather than show something that might help and this is shown by how often they include it. Thank gosh life isn't like a soap

I haven't seen it as don't watch but the idea of rape being on the telly before nine disturbs me. No need when there will still be youngsters about. (Not that id let my kids watch)

Also disagree with those saying that having a rape storyline four times since 1988 normalises rape. That's insane. Statistically there are 282 rapes in England and Wales each DAY and some complain four times in 26 years normalises it? Crazy.

I think it's great that was eastenders doesnt just show the victim going straight to the police because a lot of the time that just doesn't happen. Sadly too many victims suffer in silence and raising awareness may change that, even if only for a few people.

I don't personally have an issue with it. The watershed issue is daft, the soaps regularly show murder, robbery, attacks, and affairs. Why not rape? It happens, unfortunately. Soaps are full of doom and gloom and dramatisation.
I also agree with the realism. It's more common for a rape to not be reported, especially if the offender is known to the victim. Not all rapes end in justice, and I think exploring how a victim 'moves on' from such an experience when the offender is never brought to justice. I hope it doesn't play out and leave the audience satisfied with the fact Dean wasn't brought to justice, if hope we will all be screaming at our tv for justice.

I like how it's a family member, and not a random guy on a random night out in a back alley. It's something we don't see on tv as much, the possible family consequences. There's issues you don't normally see when associated with rape, such as victim guilt. Will Linda blame herself for comforting him? Being too friendly and leading him on when she knew he was attracted to her? Although, I can't say I'm a big fan of the pregnancy that follows it. I think the rape should have been enough drama for them to explore. Of also like to see the reaction of deans mother, and the conflict they'll feel.

I think the problem I have with not having them bring to justice is that I know very well this happens in real life (seen a friend and family member report and then not given support or justice) but if its on TV you may get people think what is the point of going to police. The water shed thing for me is people will be flicking through TV channels and rape is a hard thing for a child to understand

My kids were watching with me.I knew it couldn't get too graphic as it is before the watershed otherwise i would have switched off.The eldest obviously thought they had sex as he was grinning (hes 12) but the other two asked why she was upset and I just said he had hurt her and frightened her.They didn't want any more detail than that.

Hollyoaks just did a rape scene too and apparently that was more graphic. I think it should be after the watershed but other than that I don't mind.

People watching Eastenders know there might be scenes that aren't suitable for littleuns, so the watershed argument to mean is pretty pointless. All soaps have elements that could be upsetting in them.

I think they're handling the storyline very well (so far). Unfortunately most victims don't report it when it's happened to them, and the actress is portraying why she hasn't really well. If it makes one victim speak out, or think about speaking out, that can only be a good thing.

I didnt see but I wouldn't let my kids watch any soap because they are not aimed at children. Silly to moan about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->