Eating at Wagamama's - Anything to avoid?

nightkd

Mum to two!
Reaction score
I'm going to Wagamama's for my mum's birthday tomorrow and I was just wondering if there's anything I should avoid?

This is the menu:

https://www.wagamama.com/asset/gb/files/location/menus/1262260190_5102 wuk uk win.pdf

I'm thinking about having the peach iced tea and seafood ramen (what I usually have)....But it depends what takes my fancy really!

Seafood ramen: Noodles in a vegetable soup topped with grilled smooth dory, prawn, squid, kamaboko, wakame and seasonal greens. Garnished with menma
and spring onions...

Any idea?

xxx

oh i dont know but I love Wagamamas. We bought the cookbook and its really easy to make the recipes and tastes just like it does in the restaurant. Sorry i am of no use on the question you asked though x

....Why would there be a problem with Wagamamas?

I go there quite often to eat.

The seafood is all cooked and I think the only thing I would say is Amai Udon (my fave fave dish) has peanuts in. So watch out for that if you have to avoid peanuts.

It's all very very healthy stuff really!

I could so eat Wagamamas right now....yum!

Amy xxxx

Apparently it's not that healthy, it's full of salt etc - I've only come up with "OMG! How many calories does Wagamama's amount to?!" and I honestly couldn't care less. :lol:

Because there are certain things you have to avoid? Eg certain types of fish that have very high levels of mercury etc... I've already had a portion of my quota this month...

It's not specifically because it's Wagamama's... :huh: It's that certain ingredients in their meals may not be suitable for pregnant women to consume, like any other restaurant, I just wanted to check.

xx

Just got this info from the cow and gate website:

Undercooked or very rare meat and fish – there should be no pink bits left (even if that’s the way you usually like it!).
Raw fish in dishes like sushi, smoked salmon or oysters.
Some prepared foods such as potato salad or coleslaw can sometimes contain high levels of listeria.
Swordfish, marlin and shark. These fish can contain potentially unsafe levels of mercury which can harm your baby’s developing nervous system. Tuna also contains mercury, so limit the amount you eat to up to four medium-size cans (140g drained weight, per can) OR two fresh steaks (up to 170g raw weight, per steak) a week.

Hope this helps, enjoy your meal.x.

oh i dont know but I love Wagamamas. We bought the cookbook and its really easy to make the recipes and tastes just like it does in the restaurant. Sorry i am of no use on the question you asked though x

I've been there quite a few times with my ex and friends and we saw the cookbook and wanted to get it, it was pretty expensive though! I do love some of the dishes they do! We made a similar dish that we had frequently instead of going there, to save us some money... Got some duck legs from Sainsburys (£1.99) used the duck for another meal, then used the bones to make stock, put some spinach/pak choi in there and added rice noodles :) Experimented with a few other things too, but that was the basic, it was really nice!!! :thumbup:

xx

Fish that are high on the food chain are considered bad as the mercury bioaccumulates. Here is a list on what to avoid completely and what is ok in moderation:
https://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/fishmercury.htm

Also obviously raw seafood, eggs, pate etc. I've also read raw sprouts including beansprouts (aka garnished with...) aren't good as they can harbor a fair amount of bacteria and molds.

Thanks for the info, I've been using them. It's because Wagamama lists a load of ingredients that I don't recognise - eg the Dory, I searched for it and got very few results!! Was hoping someone more 'in the know' could recommend, or compare it to a more common type of fish (as that's what I think it is?!?) so I could put it against one of those lists... I mean, I'm sure (seen as there isn't THAT much in the way of fish etc in the seafood ramen (eg small bits of each)) I'll be absolutely fine having it, but I read that the Dory should be avoided anyway as the way it is reared can be dirty???

xx

The Dory is a deep sea fish, but there are a lot of types that go by that name. I also saw it's also used as an aquarium fish? I don't think they get huge like most of the fish to avoid so I wouldn't worry about it tbh.

Apparently it's not that healthy, it's full of salt etc - I've only come up with "OMG! How many calories does Wagamama's amount to?!" and I honestly couldn't care less. :lol:

Because there are certain things you have to avoid? Eg certain types of fish that have very high levels of mercury etc... I've already had a portion of my quota this month...

It's not specifically because it's Wagamama's... :huh: It's that certain ingredients in their meals may not be suitable for pregnant women to consume, like any other restaurant, I just wanted to check.

xx

I think it is much healthier than many other places you can go out to eat and it also depends on what you get to eat. I expect that their deep fried starters (duck gyoza for example...totally yum) and probably they're fried noodle dishes aren't so great. However, the ramen bowls and soba noodle dishes are much better.

As far as fish goes, I don't think you have to worry about that really. The actual amount of fish you get in your dish is pretty small. They don't use tuna and I think the other rich mercury filled fish are also not included on their menu (its too expensive to use).

If you're really concerned then ask the staff when you go and have you're meal.

Generally I think you'd be fine.

Amy

Thanks guys, tbh I wasn't too worried, just wondering if there was anything specific they do in there that I ought to avoid... We may actually be going to a steak house instead...or maybe a Tapas bar if I can convince my mum! :lol:

We'll see anyway, thanks for the replies.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->