Eating lots of sugar...

TwoRdue

Reaction score
Dont always mean big babys.?

I have had my fair share of sweets and chocolate this pregnancy and at my 35 weeks scan baby was in the 49 percentile and 3 days behind and my 1 hour glucose came back great, all bloods show that I am very heathy as well but I would have thought with regular sugar eating I would have a big baby. Could the measurment but out by heaps at the scans? He is always in the normal weight range.

I think if you gain a lot of weight it makes baby more likely to be big. But if you just eat sweets and don't gain weight your insulin should keep the baby from putting on too much weight I think??

I wish that was the case as I eat lots of sweets and lots of fruits high in sugar. But. My baby is measuring behind in weight since 32 weeks but above at the 28 weeks scan. I'm hoping my 32 week scan was out baby was very squished up and he didn't spend very long on her measurements. Her head was measuring 1 week 6 days ahead but everything else was apparently a week behind so I'm really hoping she stuffed measurements up. Apparently the weight can be off 1lb either way so in hopin she measured her smaller than she really is. I have had a big baby 8lb 13oz and she was so much easier to push out. I tore less I had less bleeding than my tiny 6lb 1oz baby who I bleed a lot more with and tore with and my gosh it hurt more

Mind you I gained 30kgs so about 60lbs with my first and my second I only gained 5kgs

Im almost up 35lbs and baby is still a good size so all that food must go to my hips but when people look at me they say im all baby so who knows really till he is here.

I would have thought small babys would have been easier? Oh and my ob said that sugars from fruit are natural sugars so it wont make lager babys the more you eat as I eat plenty of fruit to

I ate a good bit of sugar last pregnancy, and my little girl is a titch - she was 5lbs when she was born at 37 weeks. My metabolism seems to speed up when I'm pregnant and I can't keep weight on me - I really deserve to be a fat pregnant woman the way I eat, yet i'm all baby. I actually loose weight off me, and I'm not heavy to begin with. I've put on less than a stone total so far this pregnancy, despite my sweet tooth, but they tell me this baby is a good bit bigger than the last. :shrug:

I lived on sugary sweets with my first son and he was only 7.9lb

I've not had that much of a sweet tooth this time round!

My understanding is that as long as your insulin is combatting the sugar, your baby isn't exposed to as much sugar so it wouldn't make your baby bigger. This is what the problem is with people who have GD. Because GD means your insulin doesn't reduce your sugar properly, your baby is also getting more than normal. I know for us, at one point, baby was measuring quite small and behind so we were worried but baby had a growth spurt and is all caught up now. :flower:

It's all in how your body deals with the sugar. If your body gets it out of the blood quickly it shouldn't harm the baby.

It's also not necessarily about babies weight though.

High sugar diet can cause babies to lay down fat differently to their low sugar counter-parts....in particular laying down fat in their shoulders, so it can cause some complications like shoulder dystocia in birth.

This is generally why mothers who are diabetic are induced early to just stop those last couple of weeks of fatty deposits in the baby going in the places that may cause complications.

I ate a tonne of sweet stuff in both of my pregnancies and I mean a lot :blush:. My DS was quite big but my DD was a dinky 8lb :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->