• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

echogenic bowel :(

geordie_gal

Mam of one baby boy!
Reaction score
Had our 20 week scan today and baby has an echogenic bowel - it can be nothing but can be a marker for downs or cystic fibrosis. Absolutely devastated.
We are getting a referral to fetal medicine for some blood tests on me and Dan then we have to decide on if we want an amnio.
Been on the verge of tears all day.
They said everything else was normal but I've used Google now I'm terrified.
Anyone know anything about this?

Firstly, hugs :hugs:
Secondly, while our situation was slightly different, we felt the same way. We had a diagnosis of EIF [which is the same bright spot but on the heart, instead of the bowels.] It was heart wrenching to think that something could be wrong. But after talking to a few people that have been through similar and then getting a second, and even third opinion we came to the conclusion that all would be OK. We too, only had the one marker, the blood work had come back low risk, and there were no other visual cues that T18 or T21 were a possibilty.
Have you had any bleeding during this pregnancy, I've read others that have the diagnosis your baby does but it turns out that it was swollowed blood and nothing more. Fingers crossed, though, that everything is just fine with your little one. I know this is a scary time. Lean on your OH for support and I promise, you'll make it through. :hugs:

No had no bleeding, they did say sometimes you don'. Notice the bleeding though if its very slight.
Got my next appt Mon 16th but oh can't make it as he is duty manager that day and there's no-one to swap with.
Just terrified at the minute.
Thanks for replying :) x

Hey yeah - sorry I thought I had put the results up on here, my connection must have failed whilst posting.
Our results came back normal for 26 of the most common cystic fibrosis strains so it is very unlikely the baby will have CF.
We are back on the 28th October for another scan x

When I was preg with dd the ultrasound tech commented her bowel was bright and it could indicate CF, when the OB looked he wasn't at all concerned and she is now a very happy healthy almost 10 year old, all that worrying I did for nothing. Good luck, I'm sure you're bub is just perfect.

Hi I see this is an old post but was just wondering if everything was ok with the echogenic bowel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->