Ectopic? What is this???

gppuddinpie

Reaction score
I am 6w pregnant today via IVF. Went into the OB yesterday for severe cramps where he found lots of internal bleeding in my abdomen. Could not see a gestational sac but saw lots of "fluid and material" floating in my uterus. He is slightly dumbfounded, however, because it is typically far too early for a tube to burst if it's ectopic. Also, my HCG levels are 4840 (as of 2 days ago) and progesterone is at 50. He has never seen an ectopic with HCG levels that high. He said they are even quite high for this stage of pregnancy. They have quadroupled in the past 5 days.

Does anyone, anywhere have a similar experience? Could this baby be implanted on the outside of my uterus? Or a liver? A woman I went to church with a few years ago had a baby attach to the outside of her uterus with very similar circumstances.

I am sorry you are going through this. I have had an ectopic. They are rare but more common in IVF. I hope that everything is OK for you. Keep an eye on your symptoms and if you feel pain, please go to the ER.

Not to scare you but your doctor's comments seem so far off from all the reproductive endocrinologist I worked with during my ectopic pregnancy I am taken back a little. MOST ectopics begin to cause discomfort or even rupture around the 6 week mark and it is highly uncommon for them to make it past 8 weeks (unless of course they are cornual or outside the uterus as you suggested). That being said I made it to 8 weeks w/o rupture because mine was cornual (near opening of fallopian tube to uterus) and my levels were rising appropriately and were 14,000 plus by the time we had to do surgery :nope:

If they haven't located a gestational sac at a minimum in your uterus by 6 weeks it is considered a pregnancy of unknown location as my doctors put it. It was at that point with my experience they prepped me for what would end up being treatment for an ectopic pregnancy for me anyway. Also a statistic I stumbled upon because we were sure ivf was going to be the route we had to go down was that ivf pregnancies in themselves have a higher chance of ectopic pregnancy. Something about how the fertilized eggs are injected back into the woman's uterus cause a higher risk of the egg ending up in a tube or somewhere else. The risk goes from 1% up to 5% chance from normal fertilization vs ivf. Doctors used to block the fallopian tubes for ivf because of this but they stopped that procedure sometime ago.

I hope this isn't the case for you and they are just missing the GS somehow or it is just taking longer for it to develop sweetie. The thing about ivf is that your dates aren't in question so the should be keeping a special eye on you and making sure you are not in danger. Please take care and as the other gals said go in straight away if you have any pain or bleeding! Here's a couple of articles you may find of interest..

https://www.womens-health.co.uk/ivf-ectopic-pregnancy.html

https://www.uptodate.com/contents/ectopic-tubal-pregnancy-beyond-the-basics

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"