EDD question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we all know that the EDD is just a guide, not the actual date you will have your baby, but I think like others have said, you have had a particular date in your head for such a long time, that when it comes & goes it is a bit of a disappointment. It would be like counting down to CHristmas when you are a chilld & it comes & goes without any presents lol! I know that I am such an impatient person, that if I go over (which being my first I prob most likely will), that I will be a little disappointed just waiting in limbo for something to happen or to be given an induction date (which I don't really want, would much rather it all happen naturally!).

I think we all know that the EDD is just a guide, not the actual date you will have your baby, but I think like others have said, you have had a particular date in your head for such a long time, that when it comes & goes it is a bit of a disappointment. It would be like counting down to CHristmas when you are a chilld & it comes & goes without any presents lol! I know that I am such an impatient person, that if I go over (which being my first I prob most likely will), that I will be a little disappointed just waiting in limbo for something to happen or to be given an induction date (which I don't really want, would much rather it all happen naturally!).

Yeah it's exactly like this.
Like being told Christmas MIGHT happen, but it might not. You'd be gutted if it didnt!

I still don't really get it lol like I said in my original post - we're ALL uncomfortable! But I don't see the big deal of the EDD coming and going because chances are - it's going to lol

But I think Lillian said it perfectly to the way I think about it

"I agree, I don't get it.They seem to take it so personally- like they have been conned. In France they automatically add 7 days on to your EDD. I went 10 days over with my first and it didn't bother me a bit- i let nature do its thing. The ONLY thing i worry about is having to be induced, but chances of going more than 2 weeks over is slim."

But Christmas is a set date every year - not an ESTIMATED date?

I think it can be a mixture of reasons;
- the constant phone calls and comments go up a notch after your EDD, Facebook comments along the lines -'u still here!?' Everyday!!
- the longer over your due date, the shorter time you have with your baby before going ack to work. I took 4 weeks off before EDD as my 1st came 2 weeks early but then went overdue so I used 6 weeks of mat leave before I even had the baby.
- the general uncomfiness etc seems never ending when you have an EDD in your head, even though you know it's only estimated.
- if your maternity unit is a busy one, plans for inducing at 2weeks overdue do not always happen and there are risks to baby at 42+,as one of my colleagues unfortunately found out and now we are all worried about going past 41 weeks.

My tip is spend anytime overdue planning on getting your hair done, legs waxed, doing lunch - make plans and Sod's law baby will arrive and scarper your plans :)

The fact that most mums who go overdue have a wee moan about it, as opposed to the minority who are blasé about it - is testament to the fact it is both normal and acceptable in our society to feel this way. It is easy to think you won't feel frustrated - I certainly didn't expect to - but just wait and see.

It's really hard because the last few weeks of pregnancy are, let's face it, uncomfortable and tiring (I haven't slept properly since about 18 weeks!). 40 weeks is a looooong time.

But I have always viewed it as a guideline of 37-42 weeks. I think, as pp have said, that so many medical practitioners put pressure on you to have an induction stupidly early, it's like they're scared of overdue pregnancies and that colours women's views. It was only the other day I saw a thread with a woman whose doctor was suggesting induction as she'd reached her due date. Er what? :dohh:

I'm happy for baby boy to bake as long as he wants and if that means 41 weeks, 42 weeks, that's fine. I will request fetal monitoring if I go over and I do NOT want to be induced. Decades ago even, they didn't have due dates as such, women just remained pregnant as long as they were meant to :shrug: Granted the medical advances are fabulous so we can keep an eye on our babies if it takes longer than we estimated and I will take full advantage of that.

Give me a medical reason to get him out and that's fine, any sign of distress from him and you can whip me into a theatre for a c-section if you need to. But if he's fine he can bake as long as he wants.

But that doesn't change the fact that I will of course be hoping he decides he's ready at 40 weeks :haha:

I wont be going over my due date as I have GD. I've just always been curious about the general 'upsetness' from ladies when they do go over. I guess the March of Dimes - healthy babies are worth the wait commercials got my attention lol

It's the excitement and anticipation when you think your baby might be here in 3 days but also know it could be 2w+3d....Many women would prefer not to be induced. I'm one of those, so I'd rather not go 2w over. Many moms are also ecstatic to meet their babies and also nervous about how the delivery will go so naturally have the urge to get it over with. Also, at this stage I can tell you that I expected to 'know' something about when she'd be here and I don't know a thing. It's mysterious and in the face of such a HUGE change it makes sense that women go through tons of emotions.

I look at charts and tables like this one:
https://spacefem.com/pregnant/due.php?use=EDD&m=04&d=29&y=13
to remind me that it's pretty unlikely I'll give birth by my due date.

However, I will be a little concerned when my due date passes because I REALLY don't want to be induced, I know the risk of intervention being needed during the birth goes up dramatically if I'm induced and I'd really prefer as natural a birth as possible. I've also told everyone and reminded myself that it's VERY likely I'll go over so I don't see his due date as really having much meaning :flower:

At this point I may be trying to convince the little guy to come out though :haha:

Give it two weeks- you'll get it. I'm all for my baby cooking as long as she needs to, but I am beyond uncomfortable. I can barely walk. Last week I felt great. If she goes two weeks over, that's another month of feeling like this. I also work full time and have a toddler to chase on my "days off" so yeah, I am counting down the days.

I actually won't get it - hence me asking the question in the first place. Estimated due dates are just that - estimated. Noone tells you "your baby will be here on X day" so i don't get why some ladies feel like they've been lied to

You should just drop it, honestly. Everyone has their own reasons, whether you "get it" or not.

There's nothing to "drop" I had a genuine question. So i asked. Thanx tho :)

And lots of ladies gave you genuine answers - that were well thought through and very clear to understand. The fact that you have read their responses and continue to say you don't get it makes me think that you are trying to "ruffle feathers." Or you're just really thick.

It seems like you're trying to 'ruffle feathers' since you keep going on and on and resorted to calling me 'thick'

What was the point in the thread in the first place?! I am always dubious when threads have added disclaimers like this isn't meant to offend, or ruffle feathers or whatever! You already said you have GD and therefore won't experience what it's like to go overdue anyway! Why do you care if ladies get a bit frustrated if they go over their DD?

I think you're being deliberately argumentative when people have tried to answer your 'question' and you posted the thread because it's something that annoys you! Well sorry, but as plenty of ladies have tried to explain to you there are a variety of reasons some ladies focus on their DD and then feel disappointed when it comes and goes. Oh and comments like 'healthy babies are worth the wait' are really not necessary, do you think we don't realise this? Becasue I can assure you, those of us who have suffered loss or are constantly worried about it, all we want is to hold that baby in our arms. So when DD comes and goes and you're still feeling anxious 2 weeks later I can imagine it's only natural to be a bit fed up.

Lastly, you don't know everyone's personal experiences and the reasons why they don't enjoy the last few weeks. I broke my back two years ago and have been in agony crawling around on my hands and knees at times and I have another 7 weeks left, if that turns into 9 I will be upset. So that's MY reason. You can say you don't get it and LOL at us all you like but you don't know everyone's reasons for looking forward to their EDD so please don't judge.

Tbh you just sound a bit smug that YOU won't be going overdue. :shrug:

Thread closed, and no matter what your opinion is on the topic , these rules should be followed
Rudeness, flaming or trolling is not tolerated on, or about, BabyandBump or its members. Any member who is intentionally disruptive may have their account restricted or banned without warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"