EIGHT false positives?!

our doctor surgery does not even bother testing any more as they are so unreliable they just take our word for it lol

aghhhh midwife tests are often way less sensitive than the HPTs we buy and use!! and dismissing you as NON pregnant like that without doing bloods either... a bit superficial and unprofessional as well if you ask me!!!

good that she talked to her supervisor though and that you got your appt booked for friday!! congrats on your pregnancy btw!!

The same thing happened to me. I had taken 6 tests of 3 different brands and all said positive so I went the next day and they did a quantitative and said it was negative! I was like no way I know I'm pregnant. How could 6 tests say positive?! The nurse practioner said idk but I guess its possible.Aftee much disagreement she said shed send it to the hospital for a qualitative. Guess who was pregnant,me of course but super early. She told me I was a week pregnant based on hcg level. Anyways their tests aren't anymore sensitive than hpts and and usually have pretty high cut off points. My cheap hpts picked up on an hcg level of 11 on diluted urine and their blood tests didn't pick it up. So I wouldn't freak too much. If you feel pregnant you probably are and like the ladies on here have reminded me. False positives are extremely rare. Gl!!

I agree you should have a blood test done to be sure.

yes and a quantitative one not qualitative one. the quantitative one is done in hospital labs and tells you the exact QUANTITY of HCG in your system (that's why it's called quantitative), and it is the most sensitive one at the moment. (can detect <2 Units/mL).

the qualitative blood test just tells you "the quality" meaning, YES or NO, like the urine sticks. those blood tests are way way less sensitive than the quantitative ones, as everything below a certain threshold will result as negative (just like the urine tests).

Thanks for all your replies, mamas!
I don't think I had a pregnancy test at the clinic with my first pregnancy. I just made an appointment with the GP, who told me to book in with the community midwife. This time round I went straight to the midwife. But the doctors' receptionist did mention that things have changed a bit in the past year.
When I spoke to her on the phone, the midwife said she couldn't give me an appointment without the positive test, but then she backtracked and booked me an appointment for Friday! I guess I'll have to have a test on Friday; I hope it turns out :bfp:!

Thanks for all your replies, mamas!
I don't think I had a pregnancy test at the clinic with my first pregnancy. I just made an appointment with the GP, who told me to book in with the community midwife. This time round I went straight to the midwife. But the doctors' receptionist did mention that things have changed a bit in the past year.
When I spoke to her on the phone, the midwife said she couldn't give me an appointment without the positive test, but then she backtracked and booked me an appointment for Friday! I guess I'll have to have a test on Friday; I hope it turns out :bfp:!

Take a couple of your own tests to dunk into the sample x

I saw the midwife for my booking in appointment this morning. It wasn't the same person who phoned me on Wednesday; this morning's midwife was actually the one who looked after my first pregnancy. She tested my urine sample (fmu from today), which of course came up positive. Everything seems on track, blood tests done today, and now I just wait for my scan appointment!

Yay, Tattoo!

I went back for a repeat urine test this morning and also got a positive (I wasn't shocked; I've gotten eleven positives on two different kinds of tests over the last 5 days). Unfortunatly I won't have any kind of follow up until I meet with an OB coordinator to do paperwork and choose an OB at 8 weeks (even though I just had the CP a couple weeks ago and I'm afraid this might actually be from that...), but at least they've admitted I'm pregnant! :)

I'm sorry about your chemical, Kate. I don't think you'd still have enough hcg in your system to get a positive from it weeks later. Keep testing and hopefully you'll get some reassurance from darker lines!

Tattoo, glad you got a better midwife, and congratulations again!

I'm sorry about your chemical, Kate. I don't think you'd still have enough hcg in your system to get a positive from it weeks later. Keep testing and hopefully you'll get some reassurance from darker lines!

I have negative tests in between, and my lines have definitely gotten progressively darker over the past five days. My only concern is that there might be retained tissue or something that is making my body think it's pregnant again. One of the RNs at my doctor's office said it might be a concern, but that they can't really do anything about it until they do the ultrasound (at around 9-10 weeks).

I have negative tests in between, and my lines have definitely gotten progressively darker over the past five days. My only concern is that there might be retained tissue or something that is making my body think it's pregnant again. One of the RNs at my doctor's office said it might be a concern, but that they can't really do anything about it until they do the ultrasound (at around 9-10 weeks).

Retained tissue from a pregnancy loss that early on would be incredibly unlikely x

Huh... I'm not a medical professional, so obviously they'd know better, but that seems unlikely, doesn't it? I mean, if you had negative tests in between I would bet on this being a new pregnancy!

great news Tattoo, so so happy for you!

and Kate, so sorry for your losses.. but these darker lines does sound promising!! wishing sticky healthy beans to both of you!

Kate, it sounds to me like you are PREGNANT! I hope this is a sticky one for you.

And thanks, everyone! This pregnancy has come as a bit of a shock, because it took as 22 cycles to conceive our daughter, but this pregnancy has been conceived the first month of trying!

Tattoo- I'm happy to hear that your test issue got sorted! Congrats on your pregnancy, H&H 9 months :hugs:

Kate- Hoping for a sticky bean hun! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->