Eleanor Jane - April 9th, 2011 LONG!!!!

Widget

Pregnant with Baby #1
Reaction score
Our little Miss Eleanor was born at 38+6 weeks after a very traumatic 38 hour labour. Thank goodness she is here healthy and happy! 8lbs, 4oz of pure joy!

My water broke on April 8th at nearly exactly 5am. I was half asleep, uncomfortable from my very big bump. All of a sudden I heard a very loud POP down there. It felt like an elastic had just burst. Before I even moved, I woke my husband and said "I think my water just broke.... get me some towels so I don't soak the bed!!!!" So then I made my way to the toilet where my mucus plug came out followed by a HUGE gush of water.

DH woke my mother who is here for the birth and we made our way to the hospital. The contractions immediately started at 4 minutes apart lasting about 60-90 seconds.

When we got to the hospital they checked me and I was only 2.5cm dilated and not completely effaced so they sent me home with instructions to come in the next day at 7am to be induced (since my membranes had ruptured) unless the contractions become closer together.

We got home and I laboured on the couch. The pain was bad but manageable. It got to the point after about two hours where I couldn't take any more so we went back to the hospital for pain relief. There they gave me a shot of morphine and checked to see that I was only 3cm dilated.

At this point, we decided to stay at the hospital to labour. I walked the hallways for the entire day and next night trying to get my cervix to dilate. They wouldn't induce me any earlier despite my exhaustion and pain because there were THREE women back to back getting emergency c-sections. They were so busy that the nurses hardly checked on me for a full 24 hours. I didn't even see a doctor until 8am when they decided that they had to induce me to speed things up since I was only 4cm dilated at that point. They also wouldn't let me eat anything!

So I was put on the pitocin drip and they asked me if I wanted an epidural. I was hoping to get through the full labour on gas and air but that wasn't an option at this point since I was absolutely DRAINED from 25+ hours of bad contractions. I took the epidural since the anesthesiologist was available right then (seeing how understaffed they were, heaven only knows if I would have had that option later).

The epidural was HEAVEN! Unfortunately the nurse that was assigned to me didn't believe in heavy epidurals so she allowed the dosage to run down and I was able to feel the contractions still (albeit, not as bad... or so she said!). By hour #34 of labour the anesthesiologist came back in and I begged him for more relief. The nurse, while having good intentions tried to talk him out of it since I wouldn't be able to push as well. In the end, the anesthesiologist saw the distress I was in and topped me up. It lasted until the final two hours when I finally dilated fully to 10cm and started to push and the pain returned with a VENGEANCE!

Lets just say that after 36 hours of labour and no sleep and not being permitted to eat anything, I had no energy to push with. I was angry that they left me so long before induction which left me in this state. Since I could feel every contraction fully I pushed with every bit of anger I had in me for nearly two hours. I could see the Ellie's head but she just couldn't get out. They had every intention to make me push for 4-6 if I needed to and told me so. Thankfully I had done my research and knew that 2 hours was a safe maximum and so I forced the nurse to get the doctor.

When the doctor came in I told her that I had no energy left and that I needed an intervention. I asked for the vacuum and she protested saying that I needed an epesiotomy for that, trying to talk me out of it. The nurse also tried to talk me out of it as well, saying that if it doesn't work after three tries, that I will need a section. I told them that they were going to do it NOW. The doctor sighed and said "well I guess you're trying hard to get third degree tears" and then prepared to get Ellie out.

I helped push to aid the vacuum. Looks like mother knows best because Ellie had her cord wrapped around her neck twice and needed to get out then and there. They had a little trouble getting her to breathe which caused my very stoic husband to burst out into tears. The room flooded with doctors and nurses from the neonatal unit. In the end, she let out a little kitten whimper and opened her eyes on a very beautiful spring evening.

In the end, I know that the doctors and nurses assigned to me meant well, but they didn't know my body and what it was capable of. Out of all of this my only recommendation is for every pregnant mother to become VERY educated on ALL options and to leave those options open. Also remember to use your voice whenever your instincts tell you to do so.

I have second degree tearing, sore nipples, hemorrhoids, and an aching uterus.... but it was ALL worth it. I am so in love and Ellie's father is absolutely smitten with his little girl!

Attachments

• 100_0180.jpg
    100_0180.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 75
congratulations widget on your beautiful baby girl shes gorgeous :)

Thank you for sharing huny, what an amazing story :) & she is an absolute stunner :cloud9: take care & enjoy every second of her xxxxxxxxxxx

Aw hun congrats!!! Can I ask where in Canada your from?

Congratulations Widget, your precious little daughter Eleanor is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing your birth story...well done for getting through such a long, tiring labour! I will definately take your advice x

congrats on your baby girl, she's gorgeous!

congratulations she is gorgeous, look at all that hair. stunning.

HUGE congrats Widget!!! She is just beautiful :)

It seems like just a couple months ago that you were showing off two lines on your FRER!

Thank you so much for sharing! Your little lady is gorgeous! What a beautiful head of hair!!! Glad to hear you stood up for yourself and your baby- inspirational story for all of us to read! Thank you! :hugs:

congratulations.. she is absolutely beautiful

Many congrats - well done, you did so well. Your girl is gorgeous xx

Thanks for the story! She is so adorable! Congratulations!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->