Elective induction @ 38 weeks?

chelsealynnb

Wife & mommy <3
Reaction score
I had my 34 week appointment last week, and I brought up an induction question to my doctor. I had to be induced at 41 weeks with my first son, which went very smoothly. I had an induxtion date set up for 40 weeks 4 days with my second son, but went into labor naturally at 40 weeks 2 days with him. Contractions first, then my water broke at the hospital. I am seeing a new OB at a different office for this one, #3, and I asked my doctor the other day if it would be possible to set an induction date for when I'm 40 weeks so that I don't have to go over again just in case the baby wants to stay put again. This time around I'm MUCH more uncomfortable than with my first two. Right now I can barely walk or roll over in bed, my entire lower half feels like someone drop kicked me directly in the vagina!! Doc says its from a hormone my body is releasing that is making my pelvis shift to accommodate a baby coming through it.

Anyways - my doctor said that with my history of having 8 pound babies and since at 38 weeks I'll be full term, I could just set an induction date for when I'm 38 weeks. At first I was really excited, thinking I could meet this little man 2 weeks earlier and have some relief from all of this pelic pain. But now I'm wondering if it isn't fair to the baby to medically induce, unnecessarily essentially, for him to come out? Should I just wait until he's ready? I'm really torn now. I want this pregnancy to be over with but I also don't want to do anything that would be unfair to him. Does that make sense?

Thoughts??

I think if it were me I would be inclined to wait. I know induction is used a lot and usually runs smoothly, but like with any medical intervention, there are risks, including the increased risk of further interventions, so I would opt to go natural, but of course it's personal choice. Sorry to hear you're so uncomfortable :(

I would wait. I was induced at 39+2 and my body was no where near ready for birth and was in labor for 3 days before opting for a c-section. If you went over for your first two, more than likely you would go over for your 3rd. If youre inducing early, the process may be very long.

Thanks for your input! I should add, the doctor also said he would only induce me if I was "thinned and ripe", as he put it. He said as long as I was a bit dilated, and my cervix was thinned, if I was induced around 7am he would expect me to be holding a baby by 3pm. He said If my body didn't look like it was ready, he wouldn't do it because he wouldn't put me in an early induction that would be a long, hard one.

If the Doctor told you he would do it only if he knew your body was ready for it, then I'd personally go for it. 37 weeks is full term. I can't seem to carry my babies past 36+6 weeks and they come out super healthy after the doctors break my waters.

Again, every baby and person is different, your situation is entirely different than mine or any other lady. I'm just saying what I would do if asked or was in the same boat. I would go for it.

Whatever you decide, good luck!!!! :thumbup:

I would wait. You could end up with a labor that doesn't progress and a c-section. It happens too often.

This sounds callous, but make sure your doctor isn't trying to plan around a vacation.

I see a group of doctors, and whoever is on call is who will deliver me so I know I don't have to watch out for that. They won't call in this particular doctor if I go into labor, just the one who is on call would deliver me.

Here's another vote for the more natural approach. I am pretty miserable pregnant, but I would also be concerned for the baby's health. Birth is a lot less predictable than your doctor seems to think, and I'd also be worried about the induction leading to more interventions and ultimately a C-section. Eight pounds is not a huge baby -it's actually in the average range these days.

I would wait as well. Inductions are tough and I wouldn't put my body and baby through that without a solid medical reason.

Here's a statement by The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologist saying not to induce before 39 weeks for weight reasons: https://acog.org/About-ACOG/News-Ro...Without-Medical-Indications?IsMobileSet=false Your doctor obviously isn't familiar with the advisement.

Also, full term isn't classified until 39 weeks and beyond. Between 37-39 weeks is considered "early term."

Just by experience, from our antenatal group 2 babies out of 6 were born early (37 weeks and 38 weeks) neither could breastfeed and both had allergies that caused huge problems. All 4 overdue babies have been fit and healthy, even though some were smaller than the early ones. Just a thought!!

is there not a compromise? The CDC advises that 39 weeks is full term (37-38 are classed as early term)... Could you do it at 39 instead of 38?

Hmmm thats weird - full term is 37 weeks onwards here. Professionally speaking I would say don't do it. I understand that pelvic girdle pain gain be awful (it's caused by progesterone relaxing everything in your body which is what he was referring to) but I just think that it could prove to be a bad decision.

At 38 weeks induction is far more likely to fail, then you could end up with a section and all the complication and difficulties that goes with it. Also if you go too early then you might need to have more than the hormone gel or pessary (not sure what you use there) and end up on a drip for induction. That makes you more likely to have an epidural which means you can't feel how far it is safe to open your legs with the pelvic girdle pain (some people still call it SPD if that is a better known term) and you could cause yourself problems after with pain etc.

Any baby that is going to be delivered by c-section under 39 weeks we still give steroids to the mum because they still have more breathing problems than at 40 weeks so not sure whether they might still do that with induction that early as there is obviously a risk of going for section by forcing the body to do something it just isn't ready for.

On the plus side you have had successful inductions before and your Dr has said it will only happen if you are favourable for induction. We don't induce until 40+11 here so maybe it's different in America.

All in all I would say wait - preferably to 41 weeks as it'd probably happen naturally then but at least until 39 weeks at the absolute earliest.

I have/had this same dilemma. My doctor had suggested to induce at 38-39 weeks for convenience. I honestly just didn't see the point. I live about two hrs from the hospital that I've chosen to deliver at and she didn't want me to end up delivering in route to the hospital. This is my first and I just don't see that scenario being a highly likely possibility like say if this was a 2,3or4th pregnancy. I opted out ultimately. I just couldn't justify it. But I do have to add that some of my deciding factors were that one, my LO is already expected to be small at full term 40 weeks, so I coykdjt see taking her earlier. 6 lbs tops at full 40 so why would I opt to go early? Plus, my pregnancy has been exceptional as in I'm completely comfortable, bump is quite small, and I really don't have ANY typical late tri symptoms besides some very mild heartburn and occasional cramps, low back pain, lightening crotch, nothing that isn't completely manageable. But its ultimately up to you and your doctor and know that whatever youbdecide , it was right for YOU!

I would wait. 37 weeks is not classed full term here in NZ (term, but not full term) and it is also not recommended to induce or have an elective c section before 39 weeks. They just wouldn't do it at that time unless you had medical problems that required it.

They don't induce here until 40 weeks +10 days. I do find it strange to hear of early inducing. I am on my third over due baby. It sucks, I am uncomfortable and sometimes in pain but I trust my body and it seems to be one that likes to hang on to babies. Boo. If I could go into labor now I would LOVE to... However, I will wait so I can have my normal deliveries. :)

everyone will have different opinions. I also asked my doctor questions about it mainly because all of my friends that are having babies right now are having to be induced so I wanted to get the information now so DH and I can discuss it. We will schedule mine for 40+4 which is the Monday after my due date. If she comes sooner that's awesome, if not we have it scheduled.

My doctor told me he could definitely induce me at anytime after 39 weeks if I wanted. He also said at that point she's full term and would be fine, but my risk for C-section increases the earlier I am when inducing. He said as long as my cervix is softening and I'm dilating just like your doctor said that my body should take induction well.

So I would say as long as your body is on the right track then it should be fine. If its not, then I would wait longer. Like someone else said.. maybe you could schedule it for 39 weeks instead of 38?

P.S a friend of mine was induced at 38 weeks and everything was perfect with her and baby. labored for about 4 hours before giving birth to her. But she was induced because she had been dilated 3cm for awhile.

I would try to wait, but I've never had that type of pain you describe. Still, I think I'd be more afraid of the pain that would happen if the induction doesn't go well and ended in csection or other interventions. And even if your body is ready for labour it doesn't mean the baby is ready to come out.. Baby would most likely be fine but if it were me and there were any issues I would always wonder if it was because baby was supposed to cook another 2 or 3 weeks. Here they don't induce until 40+10 unless there's a health risk.

Im in to be induced tomorrow for medical reasons but would love to hang on and let my body do its job when its ready seems as my ds1 was born at 40+2.
I also have chronic pelvic pain but its not a reason why I would want to be induced I have just had to bear with it im afraid.

If your doctor says your body is ready then its your choice to make obviously.
Xx

I would wait. I'm of the opinion that natural labour is typically better than being induced, and baby will come when ready. It kind of sounds like your doctor just likes things to be planned, and wants to have daytime births rather than get up in the middle of the night.

I would also be inclined to wait a bit longer I doubt your body will be ready to deliver at 38 weeks, so could be a longer more painful labour than it needs to be.
If there were real medical issues then yes. Anyway either way it's your choice. You could hold on a bit longer to 39 weeks if you're that uncomfortable?
Personlly I don't understand why they induce so much in the US for no real reason. As soon as you hit your due date they seem to Induce when normal is 38-42 weeks x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->