Elective Section Birth Story - traumatic :-(

- Butterfly -

Cautiously Pregnant
Reaction score
Hi Ladies

I am very proud to say that Rosie Mae arrived on the 14th December 2010. she is 5 weeks old today. We had chosen an elective section as I had prev c section.

I am my pre-op on Monday 13th December and at that meeting I requested if DH could be present whilst I had spinal block. I was told that it would depend on the anaethetists on the day and to ask in the morning.

SECTION DAY - We arrived half hour early at 7am. Another couple arrived at 7.30am and we all had to wait in the day room. At 8am a midwife came and said I'd drawn the 'short straw' and had to wait whilst the couple who arrived after us was taken to the ward to get ready for her section. At 9.30am we were called to the ward and introduced to the consultant and registrar and once again I mentioned about DH being with me at spinal block and they said they would ask the anaethetist. They took some basic details from me and told me 'it wouldn't be long'. Both DH and me got into our gowns and waited with excitement. At 11.30am we were still waiting and I got a severe nose bleed. A midwife finally came to us at midday and said there had been an emergency and I would be going at 1pm.

At 1pm we were taken to delivery department where we sat for a further 15 minutes. A midwife came to take us and told DH he had to wait in day room!! I said I wanted him with me - there was a huge debate and I was told I should have mentioned it prior to that point!! I explained through lots of tears that I had mentioned it at pre-op and also earlier that morning!! Eventually it was agreed DH could come with me. I managed to calm down prior to having spinal and this all went fine and the team around me were lovely. The consultant then came in and introduced himself (different to the one I'd seen in the morning). At 1.57pm Rosie Mae was born and they said she was BREECH!!! (so good job I elected as this wasn't picked up at mw appt!!!) - they dropped the sheet so we could see her and they whisked her away. She looked BEAUTIFUL :cloud9: Only thing was I couldn't hear her crying. I asked why isn't she crying. It felt like the midwife was panicking too as Rosie wasn't crying . . . and then I heard the word paediatrician who was there within a few minutes and then I heard senior paediatrician who again was there within minutes and all this time we wasn't being told ANYTHING. I started to get very upset and the midwife came over to say that Rosie was perfect and her scores was 9 and she was breathing on her own but not crying. Because I had lost my previous daughter to Spinal Muscular Atrophy - they wanted to be sure Rosie was ok. The senior paed was happy all was ok but agreed to see me when back on the ward. Rosie was then passed to her daddy to hold whilst I just looked at my perfect little baby :baby:

It was at this point that I started to feel severe pain in whatever the consultant was doing. I was passed the gas and air and that didn't help so I was topped up with epidural. Eventually after 10 minutes of me complaining of pain they realised the 'clamp' was causing me pain and it was moved but I was still in pain. Luckily the consultant had almost finished with me and I just kept telling them how much pain I was in. At 3pm we were moved into recovery. The anaethetist came to see me and apologised that I felt pain and said that because I was tall the spinal block must have worn off quicker than normal!!! :dohh:

Rosie was passed to me to have skin to skin and she found her way to my nipple for her first breastfeed - such a clever girl :cloud9:

Back on the main ward the senior paed came to see us and said that she wanted to take some blood from Rosie - 'to be on the safe side'. I asked what they were checking for - she said to rule out 'anything neurological' and I said such as?? She said well I see your other daughter died from SMA. I said yes but I had a CVS at 11 weeks pregnant and Rosie DOES NOT have it - oh she said well that's fine - no need to take any blood then!!??? OH MY GOD don't these people check their notes?????

We left the hospital on the Thursday so after 2 nights in hospital. I was desperate to get out of there - it was so noisy and there was someone coming into the room all the time - it was very disruptive.

AT HOME. The first few days of breastfeeding are a real struggle and due to lack of sleep I seriously questioned my abilities as a mummy but I know most women experience this feeling at some point. A week after she was born I developed an infection in my wound and had to have anti-biotics - thankfully it cleared up really quickly.

NOW AT 5 WEEKS. Sadly I have pulled a muscle in my tummy (from doing too much) which makes moving around very painful. Apart from that Rosie is BF well. We have a night-time routine of feed, bath, top-up feed and bed by 8.30pm. Her next feed is usually around 12.30am and then 4.30am so we tend to go to sleep at 9pm :sleep: and get as much sleep as we can between feeds.

I totally love her to bits and although I said I'd never have another baby cos the section was so painful and recovery is taking so long - I am slowly changing my mind LOL

Hope all ladies are well and LO's too :thumbup:

Congrats, glad Rosie arrived Safely :) Hope you recover well from here on x

Many Congratulations again :baby::cloud9:

Lovely birth story...Although 'eekk' that you felt pain during the op :cry:

Congratulations hun, sorry you had a rough time but so glad you're feeling better. Rosie is a beautiful name xx

cant believe they werent gonna let dh in, sounded reall traumatic! well done and congrats x

Congratulations, sorry your section was traumatic :( but enjoy your little baby :) x

sorry your birth didnt go so well, but you have your gorgeous baby now! enjoy it! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->