Electric hobs vs gas hobs

Pearls18

Reaction score
Question for my mum!

She's getting a new kitchen fitted, we prefer cooking on gas hobs because it's easier to adjust the heat quickly, but electric are easier to keep clean. My mum really likes the look of the electric hobs that are completely flat, no raised hobs so it's as easy to clean as a work surface. Is it possible to get good quality electric hobs that adjust the heat as quickly as gas?

Not as far as i know. My mum had a really nice electric hob but it still took ages to heat! And it was expensive. Gas all the way.

Yep another vote for gas here too. We used to live in a flat that had those flat hobs and it didn't always look good as it was difficult to get burnt on food off it

I've got electric - heats relatively quickly in my opinion. Ours is a freestanding hotpoint, and was a bargain on eBay, about £300. Love my cooker!! 😝

If she does go with ceramic electric she needs to use a proper cleaner on it, I use a product called hob brite, you can get it in tesco, its in an orange bottle with blue lid and makes cleaning it a breeze! Also each time you use it, it builds up protective layer to help prevent scratches. And lasts ages - you dont need much to get a good clean (my old landlord managed to melt a plastic document folder onto the top of ours and this managed to clean it off perfectly, you'd never know it had happened! And yes could have easily killed the landlord! 😜) xx

If she does go with ceramic electric she needs to use a proper cleaner on it, I use a product called hob brite, you can get it in tesco, its in an orange bottle with blue lid and makes cleaning it a breeze! Also each time you use it, it builds up protective layer to help prevent scratches. And lasts ages - you dont need much to get a good clean (my old landlord managed to melt a plastic document folder onto the top of ours and this managed to clean it off perfectly, you'd never know it had happened! And yes could have easily killed the landlord! 😜) xx

Thank you, when you say it heats up quickly, does it cool down quickly too? What I found difficult was when I was cooking and the hob was too hot but takes ages to cool down to a temperature that doesn't ruin the food, I used to end up cooking with every hob on set to a different temperature lol.

I have to say gas hobs are the best. I have lived in plenty of places with different sorts of cookers and my opinion is that cleaning a gas hob is far less annoying than faffing with an electric one.

I much prefer having a gas hob, so much easier to cook with and control heat etc.

Thank you, when you say it heats up quickly, does it cool down quickly too? What I found difficult was when I was cooking and the hob was too hot but takes ages to cool down to a temperature that doesn't ruin the food, I used to end up cooking with every hob on set to a different temperature lol.

No sorry, its never gonna cool down quickly as its a solid item cooling down not a direct flame that's either on or off.
I'm used to electric as that's what we had when I was growing up - I'm more likely to burn and ruin food on gas - guess its more about what you know and like.

No sorry, its never gonna cool down quickly as its a solid item cooling down not a direct flame that's either on or off.
I'm used to electric as that's what we had when I was growing up - I'm more likely to burn and ruin food on gas - guess its more about what you know and like.

a siemens electric hob will def heat up and cool down VERY quickly.
I had one at my previous work place ( I am a nanny) and it could boil water in about 1 minute and always cooled down very quickly whilst cooking.
It also turned itself off if there was nothing on the burner or if it boiled over. it was AMAZING but they are very pricey.

We have an electric halogen hob and it's super fast. It has 12 heat settings as opposed to six so it's quite easy to control.

We've always had electric in the past, we now have gas and I would never go back. It heats up and cools down so much quicker. :)

voting gas here, i stayed at my sisters for a week & she has electric, it was a nightmare trying to stop stuff boiling over & burning!

i had to clean it every time i cooked. but with my gas one i only wipe it over once a week as it doesnt get dirty at all unless OH cooks. x

Someone said gas was cheaper, these days no it's not-well at least not in my area. I used to prefer gas but after having electric for four years I prefer it now. I don't have the completely flat type of hob as couldn't afford that type of cooker but the more old fashioned raised hobs. I learned a few tricks to cooking well on an electric hob and now most things I get better results than I ever did with gas. With the boiling over problem, moving the pan so it has about 1/4 of it off the hob ring usually solves that. Also turning off the hob a few minutes before cooking time is expected to finish, as the residual heat will continue to cook the food and gradually cool down. I also move the pan off the burner once cooked, and onto another switched off burner. The only thing that can't be cooked well on an electric hob are Wholemeal chapattis, strangely though white tortillas work great xx

I prefer gas but my mom has some brilliant wipe clean electric ones.
xx

You get used to electric though I reckon. I do find I end up using a couple of hobs to cook one thing but I prefer it because I know if I've got about 5 minutes left on something I can turn it off and go and do something else because it'll stay hot enough but if I forget about it it won't burn :haha:

My mum has a nice electric hob. Its one of them 'glass topped' or ceramic maybe, i duna! its hot almost as soon as its turned on.
I still prefer gas though, yes i dont think they look as nice, but i find electric heats the bottom of the pan too much, usually burning whats in there, gas tends to heat almost the whole pan up and doesnt stick as much & like said its easier to adjust the heat.. Thats my opinion..
I have gas hob electric fan assisted oven!! HATE gas ovens!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->